Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,324 times

Advertisements

So, my Inlaws are coming into to town and thanks to Hurricane Ike, the UT game I have tickets to was rescheduled for that weekend. My father-in-law is hemiplegic and has expressed a desire to go to the game when they are in town. So, we will probably be selling my two tickets and looking for four together.

However, I have some logistical concerns about the situation. He can walk with a cane and swing his paralyzed leg, but it is very taxing to walk very long distances. How is the handy cap parking for games? Also, is it legal to use an out of state handicap placard in Texas? If not, how does it work for people visiting the state?

Also, I assume there are handrails in UT stadium in all sections to help people go up and down correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,628 times
I know when my Mom comes to town, we use her handicap card and have never had a problem.
As for the stadium, I have never been, so I could not say. You could call and ask what their handicap accomodations are though.

Have a good visit!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 AM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
My wife and I have both been fairly crippled since 2001. We have used our Oregon placard in our now South Dakota-plated vehicles in pretty much every single state in the union, including Alaska. Some we just passed through, like Kentucky, but it has never, ever been an issue.

If you have it, and it's not obviously either expired or fake, you should be fine. As long as the owner of the placard is with you, don't worry about it one bit.

The key is, it belongs to the person, not the vehicle. This appears to be a lost concept on many. Even my gimpy self has gotten the evil eye from people who, I guess, think I'm too young to be 'handicapped'.

Idiots.

These are typically the same people who may be handicapped by stupidity or lack of social skills, but not physically. Lazy doesn't count, BTW.

I've wanted to confront a few of them, but I'm nowhere near as limber/quick as I remember being, which I know is already delusional. Plus, running isn't an option. My fastest mode of foot-based movement is skipping, so they might laugh themselves into a convulsive state.... Even then, I'm limited to a few hundred feet at a time.

Still, unlike most, if I don't need to use it, like I'm either having a bad day, physically, or the nearest 'regular' parking will require me to stop three times and sit down or have me in involuntary tears due to pain by the time I get to where I'm going, I'll park in a 'normal' space. I gladly defer to those who must have wheelchair access, and have, when there is once handicapped space left, and the vehicle pulling in is obviously a wheelchair lift-equipped van.

Now, if I see Junior hop out, run in and get lotto tickets, I'll be waiting for him...stupidly, but then I can't tolerate arrogant people, especially the ignorant/stupid ones.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,392 times
Fyi---the arkansas game is a huge game for UT. Not only is it a traditional rivalry, but it should be a good game and UT's first real test. 4 tickets will likely be extremely pricey. also, the move to the new weekend is problematic for all of austin. that is the week-end of the austin city limits music fest (ACL). The city will be packed with fest goers, now add the arkansas folk traveling here for the game, add the texas fans, and it will not be fun. (ACL is always scheduled for a non-UT home game weekend for this very reason).
We are season ticket holders. If this were a lessor game, we would certainly be giving our tickets away to others willing to brave the madness.
Good luck and have fun if you go!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Just a reminder for everyone on disabled parking placards...it is ILLEGAL to park in a handicap spot with a handicap placard unless a disabled person is getting in or out of the vehicle.

/pet peeve of mine.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:25 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Just a reminder for everyone on disabled parking placards...it is ILLEGAL to park in a handicap spot with a handicap placard unless a disabled person is getting in or out of the vehicle.

/pet peeve of mine.
You and me both.

However, I've never seen anyone enforcing this. Truly unfortunate.

I hope their Karma comes back on 'em.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,324 times
Hi all. Yep, it is a pet peeve of mine as well. Especially after having a father in law who is hemiplegic. They sound excited to go, but I don't know. With the craziness that will be that weekend, I am not sure if it is a good idea or not. We wen to Manhattan together and it was okay except for all the rude people who almost knocked him over and a few times he had to grab onto someone and there was some language and frustration.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,628 times
I drove my mothers vehicle once (including handi cap placard) to drive my son to his HS graduation rehersal. He had been hit by a van while on spring break and had 18 staples in his head after having surgery to remove fluid on the brain. They were recently removed and he was still having some equilibrium problems as well as fear of traffic so I parked in a handicap space in a lot as close as I could get. I was only dropping him off and used the closest space which happened to be the handicap spot.
As my luck would have it, a ticket writer came by as we were unloading his cap/gown from the car and questioned us about who was handicap. I went in to the story and told her it was actually my mothers placard, but I parked there temporarily for my son...Long story short, she gave me a ticket to the tune of $100.00
(Did I mention we were visiting my son out of state, and it was the only car I had to drive and I just never thought to remove the placard...) I still would have likely pulled into that space just to drop him off anyway, for his comfort.

Needles to say I learned the hard way that the placard belongs to the person, not the car.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,660 times
I have a blue permanent handicap placard and i reside in texas. can i use this in san francisco california and use it on meter parking? in texas, it is free to park in meter if i have the card.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy104 View Post
I have a blue permanent handicap placard and i reside in texas. can i use this in san francisco california and use it on meter parking? in texas, it is free to park in meter if i have the card.
You can use it in CA and yes it's free to park at a meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin