Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:38 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Actually, that is not illegal. If the first car behind the stopped car waiting to turn passes on the shoulder then every car behind can. If the first car does NOT pass then the others can not. I'd never do it in the ditch though and only on a paved shoulder. People have been doing this for DECADES! Besides, they are not much closer to you when passing on the right than they are when there are two or more lanes for cars traveling in the same direction.

Now, pulling over to the shoulder to let another driver pass is illegal but people still do it as a country form of courtesy.
When I read this, I must admit I was incredulous. Although I learned to drive 43 years ago and in California, I knew this couldn't be right in Texas either. I have never forgotten that rule of the road or many others. Like the other poster, it drives me nuts when they do that and it's dangerous, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I do not do it and I stop behind the car that is turning. Everyone else whizzes by me and the first car.

I checked it out on the Texas DPS website and below is what I found. Well, it doesn't highlight the correct answer I chose when I pasted it here, but the answer is "B." I've changed the color for you. You know, that actually should be known by all as it really applies to common sense. I agree; it has been done in Texas for decades and it continues to be dangerous, illegal, and ridiculous.

4. You should drive on the shoulder to pass a car only:

a) if the vehicle ahead of you is turning left
b) under no circumstance
c) when the shoulder is wide enough
Correct Answer!

The part about courtesy and pulling over to let a vehicle traveling faster than you is LEGAL, not illegal. It's also legal and a law to pull over to the shoulder and STOP for an emergency vehicle heading in either direction.

So to answer the OP's question, some drivers just don't know the rules. As far as rudeness goes, I guess people nowadays are just too impatient to be polite on the roads although being polite takes less effort than being rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkk View Post
What drives me nuts AND scares the heck out of me is the bad habit and illegal passing on the right when a car is turning left on a two lane highway.

I live off of hwy 21, if traffic is coming the other way when I need to turn left off the highway on to a county road it requires me to stop. Years ago the traffic behind you would stop, but not anymore, they pass on the shoulder (and sometimes the ditch!) at times at highway speed two or three feet off my right! It's very dangerous, stop it!
As I've stated above, you are so right. Maybe we had the same driving instructor. He taught me in California and years later and still living, he taught you in Texas.

This transplant drives very safely, so I'm not one of the transplants of which another poster speaks regarding making the roads unsafe. I think some people are in denial.......again. Even after 30 years, I've not picked up bad traits from Texas drivers. I'm sure CA has it's share but since I don't drive out there anymore, I can only speak about driving in Texas and it's really scary and really often.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
If you're in the left lane and you're driving slower than people in the right lane, I will ride your bumper, go around you, flip you off, pull up in front of you, and then slam my brakes to get your attention! I absolutely despise people who think they own the roads by driving 20 mph slower than the flow of traffic in the passing (left) lane! You're a loser and deserve any harsh treatment people dish out to you for disregarding traffic laws. It's like some people just completely forget common courtesy and the rules of driving when they get on the road and/or don't care.

The most common drivers who do this, according to my experience is: big trucks who don't care because they're bigger than you, soccer moms in minivans, the "green" tree huggers driving their Priuses, Asians, transplants who are clueless, and the elderly. I am an equal opportunity road rager and I will get your attention if you're slowing the flow of traffic....and I drive a big truck so you will definitely notice me.
You're the one who thinks he owns the road! Let me clue you--you don't own the road, it wasn't built for you, it was built for adults who know how to act like adults, not like little children who pitch tantrums when they can't get their own way! You're the one who doesn't understand common courtesy.

You will have an accident one day, I just hope its you who's injured, big time! Good Luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
This is cut from the online Texas Driver's handbook. Page 6-3

3. You may pass on a paved shoulder when the vehicle you are passing is
slowing or stopped on the main travelled portion of the highway, disabled, or
preparing to make a left turn.
Do not pass on the right by driving off the paved portion of the highway.

This is also the law in Ontario. Note the exclusion that you cannot leave the paved portion of the road to pass. I am sure that a lot of driver's on back roads will use a gravel shoulder to get around a car turning left.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
This is cut from the online Texas Driver's handbook. Page 6-3

3. You may pass on a paved shoulder when the vehicle you are passing is
slowing or stopped on the main travelled portion of the highway, disabled, or
preparing to make a left turn.
Do not pass on the right by driving off the paved portion of the highway.

This is also the law in Ontario. Note the exclusion that you cannot leave the paved portion of the road to pass. I am sure that a lot of driver's on back roads will use a gravel shoulder to get around a car turning left.
If that's the case, then Texas needs to get things straight as the question in the online test states 'never'. I have never heard of anything so stupid and lacking common sense. I don't think Texas and the rules of the road makers are all on the same page.

What if there is a car coming from the other direction and you decide to pass a slowed vehicle on the right paved shoulder. The car coming from the other direction is about to make a left-hand turn and he sees the vehicle coming at him with his blinker on is also going to make a left-hand turn. He begins to do so and some knucklehead (because Texas says you can do it) passes the other vehicle on the right. Wow! That would be an instant collision. I guess someone at the DPS is thinking clearly about safety.

I will use common sense and drive like I'm apparently not supposed to do.

Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Just curious, where did you find the online test on the website? I wouldn't mind taking it to see where I have a misunderstanding of the law.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Just curious, where did you find the online test on the website? I wouldn't mind taking it to see where I have a misunderstanding of the law.

Thanks
Here is the link:

PRACTICE TEST - Practice your DMV Knowledge with our Online Practice Test - DMV.ORG

It looks like it's just made up for Texas and not affiliated with a government agency.

Now I'm doubting the whole legal / illegal bit. If it's legal to pass on a paved shoulder and potentially cause an accident with the oncoming traffic but it's not legal to move over on a paved shoulder for a nut who is tailgating you, I totally have no faith in the rules of the road. It's nuts. Well, I'm still not driving like an idiot in spite of what apparently is okay in Texas and other parts of the country. It's too dangerous.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 09-20-2008 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 10:03 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
but it's not legal to move over on a paved shoulder for a nut who is tailgating you
It is legal to pull over on the shoulder to let someone pass (whether they are tailgating or not ). You can get the complete statutes at http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm (broken link)
Quote:
§ 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator
may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled
portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done
safely, but only:
  1. to stop, stand, or park;
  2. to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
  3. to decelerate before making a right turn;
  4. to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
  5. to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
  6. as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or
  7. to avoid a collision.
(b) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the
left of the main traveled portion of a divided or limited-access or
controlled-access highway if that operation may be done safely, but
only:
  1. to slow or stop when the vehicle is disabled and traffic or other circumstances prohibit the safe movement of the vehicle to the shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of the roadway;
  2. as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or
  3. to avoid a collision.
(c) A limitation in this section on driving on an improved
shoulder does not apply to:
  1. an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a call;
  2. a police patrol; or
  3. a bicycle.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-20-2008 at 10:11 PM..

Old 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is legal to pull over on the shoulder to let someone pass (whether they are tailgating or not ). You can get the complete statutes at Transportation Code (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm - broken link)[/list]
I always thought it was as I stated in one of my above posts, but on the one you quoted, I was referring to what one of the native Texans said on this thread. Thank you for confirming that I was correct about that as I was questioning my own sense for a while.

What do you think about that passing on the right business? That is totally crazy if it's legal. I can just visualize a tragedy about to happen.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:27 AM

198 posts, read 500,572 times
Red face Austin Drivers

We've been living in London for the last 3 years and I, personally, am dreading the return to "angry" drivers. If there are aggressive & angry drivers in the UK, they are few and far between. I think they are all busy navigating roundabouts Check out this Swindon "intersection!" I hear it's dreadful at rush hour

To the point now, in today's "Telegraph" the following article reminded me of this thread, " How to be a modern gent: Debrett's Guide to Modern Manners." The article covered a wide range of topics and included a section on "Driving Manners"

Quote:
let other cars into the queue in front of you with a friendly wave or flash of the headlights - a graceful gesture that will only cost you seconds. If cars are parked on your side of a narrow road, give way to oncoming traffic. Indicate when overtaking. Always acknowledge other motorists' gestures - it will make crowded, frustrating roads seem infinitely more civilised.

Breaking the speed limit is dangerous, and can be costly in terms of penalty points on your licence, but you should also bear in mind that hesitant kerb-crawling can be annoying for drivers caught behind you. If you are lost, pull over and consult a map or a passing pedestrian. Never turn into a back-seat driver: you may be ashen-faced with fear, but stamping on imaginary brakes and barking commands are not going to improve anyone's driving.

Be aware of other road-users. Always give cyclists plenty of leeway and slow down when approaching pedestrian crossings - make plenty of allowances for unpredictable behaviour, and you will help to make the roads a safer place. Help other cars into the queue with a friendly wave.
The full article is at this link and is worth a read if you have the time
Driving angry & selfish is a learned response and often contagious; let it go people.

Oh yes, I've driven in other countries besides the UK. Have a go at Cairo, Egypt for a real adventure - where riding in a car, driving a car or walking on the sidewalk is akin to the scariest amusement park ride you can imagine!!! But oh the wonderful people and great stories you take home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin