Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 PM

106 posts, read 471,812 times

Advertisements

Never in my life have I experienced drivers as bad and rude as in Austin. It seems almost every time I go anywhere I get honked at (usually other person's fault), tailgated, or almost hit. This one aspect of the city has me wanting to move away. A few quick statistics:

1. Austin has the worst traffic of any mid-sized city in the U.S.
2. Austin has per capita the most traffic accidents of any city in Texas

Can someone please explain this to me?

Also if you are one of these drivers *#@# you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Clearly you are driving (and reacting) too slow. Kidding!

I think we have confusing roads, lots of transplants, and some old timers who still drive like this is a small town. You've also got a lot more twisty, hilly, no-median roads which people from other parts of Texas just aren't used to. The combination of all leads to a lot of accidents and near accidents.

However, I'd not call Austin's traffic particularly bad compared to other cities. There is a brutal (but short) rush hour, and the roads are inadequate, but it doesn't compare to traffic like you'd find in SoCal, Houston, Boston, etc..

Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 PM

106 posts, read 471,812 times
I grew up in the Appalachain mountains, those are some twisting roads. I wonder what would happen if you put some of these people on those roads. I know Austin traffic is not so bad compared to other cities but seriously I've driven in Houston and it wasn't as bad. It's just the impatience and aggressiveness of people that causes it.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:57 PM

13 posts, read 38,349 times
Actually, old drivers have less accidents and cause less problems than teen drivers. Here in south austin I leave for work at 7:00am and head home at 7:15pm and don't think i hear a horn at all either way (about 10 miles both ways). I know north austin has more drivers at rush hour but I havent had any problems on my weekend or weekday driving.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM

989 posts, read 2,497,665 times
I don't see it, Stevedawg. Lots of traffic during rush hours north and southbound, but I never got flicked off and got any attitude. Just folks trying to get to work and back.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
I don't see it, Stevedawg. Lots of traffic during rush hours north and southbound, but I never got flicked off and got any attitude. Just folks trying to get to work and back.
Yeah, I actually think that those of us that drive during the morning and afternoon rush hour commutes are not subjected to the bad driving that other people encounter while we are working during the day. I think the people that are actually commuting to and from work know where they're going and don't cause too many problems.

I mainly notice poor driving habits on the weekends or if I happen to be out and about during the day on a weekday.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:39 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,229,772 times
I have to agree about the terrible drivers. I've almost gotten hit SEVERAL times since moving here about 3 weeks ago by cars that had huge dents in the sides. I've driven in LA, Boston, Portland, NYC, Miami, etc... and Austin really does have the worst drivers I've ever seen.

Haven't experienced any rudeness, though.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
I was just trying to remember the last time I heard a horn - I know it's been ages, and as a real estate agent, I drive all over the place all different times of day, all over Central Texas, in fact. Rarely have any problems in traffic, to the point that when I do, its memorable. After coming on this board, I started actually LOOKING for the problems, and I still don't experience them.

What are you theoretically doing (in the minds of all those drivers) that you get honked at, tailgated, almost hit, so much?

Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawg View Post
Never in my life have I experienced drivers as bad and rude as in Austin. It seems almost every time I go anywhere I get honked at (usually other person's fault), tailgated, or almost hit. This one aspect of the city has me wanting to move away. A few quick statistics:

Can someone please explain this to me?

Also if you are one of these drivers *#@# you!
Sadly I have to agree.

There seems to be a really poor level of road sense, combined with a lack of driving ability and driving education here.

I don't think it's always outright rudeness, often it's simple laziness and ignorance of basic rules, and - most often - not paying attention.

I have lived all over the world in large cities, but I have never seen such poor driving....so many near-misses and losses of control - and so many badly-tied loads. Three times in one day I saw stuff flying out of the back of fast moving trucks - why don't these people just get a VAN????

Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
[quote=Stevedawg;5307042]Never in my life have I experienced drivers as bad and rude as in Austin. It seems almost every time I go anywhere I get honked at (usually other person's fault), tailgated, or almost hit. This one aspect of the city has me wanting to move away. A few quick statistics:

I just realized you quoted statistics. Where did you get them, might I ask?

That first one isn't a statistic, by the way, but an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin