Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM

75 posts, read 381,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingal View Post
You might also check out Johnson City or Llano. They're smaller than Georgetown, which is a fast-growing bedroom community, but they're close enough to Austin, and Johnson City is also convenient to San Antonio.
I think I have been through Llano, but it was probably about twenty-five years ago and I don't remember much about it. I'm a little more familiar with Johnson City, since I have driven through it a few times on the way from Austin to Fredericksburg. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
It's been years since I've been through Smithville, but my memory is of these big fields where people had farm houses. It's not the hill country and neither is Bastrop. As urban as Austin is, when you're at places like Mount Bonnell, you realize you're in the hill country.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Smithville is pretty country and near/in part of the 'lost pines' area of central Texas. It is not very hilly, though, so in that regard it is not like Austin.
Thanks for the description, Trainwreck20. I remember my parents talking about the lost pines part of Texas when I was a child and we were on our way to visit my grandparents in Bandera County. As kids, we thought it was odd because there were no pine trees in Bandera, because they were everywhere at home in Orange! I am just going to have to drive through Smithville the next time I go to Austin instead of taking 290.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
It's been years since I've been through Smithville, but my memory is of these big fields where people had farm houses. It's not the hill country and neither is Bastrop. As urban as Austin is, when you're at places like Mount Bonnell, you realize you're in the hill country.
Thanks for your insight, Premont. It sounds as if Smithville or Bastrop might be a compromise between the hill country and my home town. It would be drier and less humid than home; maybe it would be a little bit greener than Austin and other parts of the hill country, and hopefully that would appeal to my hubby.

For me, there is a certain magic in the hill country. The air is different; it smells nicer and somehow even feels better, especially in the spring. It does get very hot there in the summer, but it is much less humid than home, and there is much less hurricane risk. (We had to evacuate for a couple of weeks when Rita came through; that was an eye-opening and life-changing experience that most of us don't wish to repeat!) I think it would be great to live there. Hopefully hubby will come around to my way of thinking!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 AM

3 posts, read 13,435 times
Smithville is the PERFECT place to live. This town IS the retirement town! Especially when you want to get away from all the NOISE and FUNK of Austin... it's great coming home and relaxing after a HARD day! I've lived here my WHOLE life and I've gone away, but have ALWAYS come back... you just can't forget a town like SMITHVILLE! Everything is just perfect here! The Police Officers are the best and you get to know EVERYONE! Anyways... Smithville is a PERFECT choice!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Rent the movie "Hope Floats". They filmed most of it in Smithville. A few other movies have been filmed there as well since it is a good place to create the Hollywood version of a "small Texas town".

Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quite honestly, if traffic is your big concern you are better off living near UT in town. I'd rather deal with in-town traffic than commuter highway traffic any day of the week.

Coming from Smithville, Georgetown, etc. you will be looking at spending close to 2 hours a day in a car. Is it worth that?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:13 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I was just in the Texas forum and RGV posted some pictures from Downtown Smithville. I saw lots of antique shops and Cafes, but no Dairy Queen (although I don't doubt it's there ) He also took a few pictures of houses. It looks pretty nice to me. I've driven past it a million times, but never actually gone into town.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
I consider Georgetown "Greater Dell"....er i mean Greater Austin.

Two towns i'd consider if you don't care about high quality schools that are also county seats would be Lockhart & New Braunfels.

County Seats offer a downtown & things to do. Both towns have their good & not so good things going for it, but are still a relative value.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
Hope Floats was filmed in Smithville.
I love that movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin