Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I'm going to threaten those two owls that keep hooting outside the bedroom window in the middle of the night. I opened the window to maybe scare them off but I heard them again...strange it was. When I opened the window I heard a faint sound in the distance of a transistor radio playing Mexican music. All in the middle of the night when it seems NO ONE is up and the air is as still as a rock. Creepy
When you hear two owls responding to each other, it is most likely a male and female "talking". Listen closely, and you may notice that one has a slightly higher pitch. Likely great horned owls. I love hearing them, but yes, they could keep you up. There's nothing wrong with shooing them away if they are disturbing you. But if you have a rodent problem, you want to keep them! I once talked to a man who put grain around in his barn during the winter (a snowy part of the world), so that he would get rodents, which would attract owls. Now that's a dedicated bird watcher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:13 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Thanks for the information. Yes! I did hear a distinct difference. You're right, it is nice to hear nature. They didn't seem to mind me opening the window at all.

And let me be clear: when I say I"m going to "threaten" the owls please understand I wouldn't do anything drastic other than open the window, well, I might tell them to be quiet but that is about where it goes.

I don't want someone turning me in for hurting an owl.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:35 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Our house had rats in the attic when we bought it. It is not uncommon for them to come in during the winter when its cooler, its too hot in an attic for them in summer. Our exterminator recommended the traditional style of rat traps baited with peanut butter in the attic. They worked fine, after disposing of the dead rats trap and all, I checked the house over carefully and hired someone to seal up all the little crevices along the eaves where rats could get into the attic. Have not had a problem since.

I like owls, I consider them to be on our side, trying to control the rodent population. I love to hear the screech owls around our neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 27,607 times
Try Diatomaceous Earth for the roaches. It's a powder, non harmful to pets, and works well

Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
[Old thread I know but why start a new one on the same topic?]

Got a Motomco rat trap from HEB the other night. It's easy to load the bait and set the trap by stepping on the platform. Caught a rat at about 1 AM this morning. Disposed of the body in the trash can without ever having to touch the dead critter.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
My friends had "roof" rats (don't know if they're the same) and it was a huge problem for them. You have to be careful because if the rats eat the poison and end up in your walls....um, well, that's bad.
Also be aware that poison takes a few days to kill the rat, and it is more likely to be eaten during that time (because it is weakened) by owls, hawks, foxes, etc, who will then die, be eaten by others who will also die, and the cycle goes on. The poison stays on for a long time. We got rid of rats with a little gadget that electrocutes them when they go for the bait. Easy, clean, and no poisons. Personally, anyone who says "you have a problem, and only I can get rid of it" has an self serving motive.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:13 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,327 times
Peanut butter on snap traps. That's what the pest control guys used at the house I previously rented and they seemed to be very effective at catching rats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin