U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:00 PM

260 posts, read 827,859 times

Advertisements

What a huge disappointment. I thought DS would love the playground (he's almost 6); he played for about 15 minutes and said the play equipment was too hot. The food wasn't very good. My Dad ordered the turkey meatloaf and it was tasteless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 05:58 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,736,130 times
Whenever we visit Austin, we go to the Waterloo on Escarpment in SW Austin. My children (one of whom is close to your son's age) LOVE the playground - they'll stay there for hours if we let them.

I always order the veggie burger or the black bean tacos...both are excellent.

And the SW Austin location has Austin Scoops next to it...that's a big plus.

(I haven't been to the location you mentioned so I don't know how they compare).

Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,264,146 times
Waterloo is one of those local Austin places that is mediocre but inexplicably popular like Kerbey Lane, El Patio, etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,728,663 times
Wow, that's surprising. My kids love the Waterloo at 360/2222, and we really like the burgers. I like the Texas lemonade.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,736,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Waterloo is one of those local Austin places that is mediocre but inexplicably popular like Kerbey Lane, El Patio, etc.
You think Kerbey Lane is mediocre? I moved away from Austin 12 years ago and I still miss Kerbey Lane!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 PM

20,795 posts, read 39,742,370 times
The original Kerbey Lane (on Kerbey Lane) was, at one time, anything but mediocre. Haven't been in years so I don't know if that's changed.

The rest of them, eh.

Likewise, Waterloo Ice House on Lamar and 6th has some very decent food. The others, hit or miss.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 PM

23 posts, read 103,427 times
Try Phil's Icehouse with the Amy's Ice Cream on Northland and Burnet. I like the food better and the kids love the playground.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 PM

1,589 posts, read 4,211,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyktexas View Post
Try Phil's Icehouse with the Amy's Ice Cream on Northland and Burnet. I like the food better and the kids love the playground.
x2

Old 09-29-2008, 06:53 AM

13,661 posts, read 30,367,887 times
Waterloo is not really a 'foodie' place, it is more of an atmosphere place. I end up going to the one SW quite a bit, and based on my experience there, I would recommend:
- Burgers. Nothing spectacular, but definitely good.
- Chicken Ranch Tacos (think that is the name). Very good.
- Breakfast. Can't really mess it up, I guess, but good biscuits, usually.

The majority of the menu is a little too heavy for me, unless I am in the mood. Our 2 yo loves the playscape, although we do have to watch the temp. of the slide (she is too young to check it out first ). The rest is wood and lots of cover, so the sun is not too bad. Again, at breakfast, the sun hasn't heated it up that much, so I am sure late afternoon or lunch would be much worse. We are so looking forward to some fall weather .

We have always pretty much had friendly, attentive service, and that (along with it being in walking distance) is why we go there on a regular basis. Oh, the margaritas are pretty darn good, too.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 AM

260 posts, read 827,859 times
We were there at 12:45; got seated outside at 1:30. It was a bit warm and the sun was shining on the play equipment. I think DS would have reacted differently if he had one of his buddies with him.

If we go back, it'll be early evening and I'll stick to the burgers! I had the barbecue chicken sandwich which was blah.

Quote:
Try Phil's Icehouse with the Amy's Ice Cream on Northland and Burnet.
We'll have to go there!!! Thanks for the recommendation. What's good at Phil's Icehouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin