Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 PM

84 posts, read 208,705 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both a "big" city (only about 500,000 people) and a small country town (about 30,000). I really prefer the bigger cities. I have never been to Austin but with the job market and singles scene, it really seems to be the place for a recent grad like myself. I was wondering if Austin has a big city feel, or does it seem like just a big country town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
It's a big city feel more than a country feel. But it depends on where you choose to live. Dripping Springs is country. Leander is a bedrooms community, growing fast, but still with a lingering country feel. Austin's urban core is "city".
Steve

Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
There are parts of Austin proper that have more of a small town feel, and parts (mainly downtown - I was down there a couple of times this past week during the day and it felt like nothing so much as downtown Dallas a few years ago, sad to say) have more of a "big city" feel.

If you want the big city feel (like Dallas or Houston), you'll want to live close to downtown (or in one of the condos IN downtown).

Old 10-01-2008, 07:42 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times
I've only been here about 10 months now, but to me, it feels like a small big city or a big small city. What I mean is that it has a lot of the things that a big city has (good restaurants, lots of music, good theatres, world-class university, etc.), but is manageable, accessible, not overly crowded or fast-paced, and easy to get around in.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
If your notion of a big city is only half a million people, then yes, Austin is a big city!

If your frame of reference is a true big city (New York, LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, London, Paris etc) you will be very disappointed. We are really just a very very large town.

(My in-laws think that anything with more than 4000 people is a big town and too "big city" for them. It all depends on your perspective. I'd never live anywhere smaller than Austin)

Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I think in many ways Austin has an overgrown small town feel to it. Natives don't notice this so much, and tend to be aware of the steadily increasing urbanization instead. However, if you come directly from a much larger place or move away and live in a true big city, much of Austin feels very small townish. It's a truly unique city and not easy to fairly classify or characterise. This is partly because it isn't at all unitary and incorporates a number of identities. In any case, South Austin still has very much a small town feel to it.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
It's really the best of both worlds.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,289 times
Quote:
I think in many ways Austin has an overgrown small town feel to it.
I agree, and that's one of the things I like best about it (always adding the disclaimer that I do not live in TX, but spend a whole lot of time in San Marcos, south of Austin). I like Austin's many "local" shops and restaurants rather than just bland, corporate sameness (though it seems many in Austin now strangely want to be more like the bigger, blander, more congested and crime-ridden corporate cities, even while touting the "weirdness" they actively work to replace).

I like the emphasis on the outdoors. Having miles of nature (rather than just mile after mile of concrete) to walk or bike is something I usually associate with a smaller town. The big local college football culture is more akin to smaller towns like my home town of Tuscaloosa,AL than to the pro sports corporate emphasis of most "big" cities.

I agree with the "best of both worlds" comments regarding Austin. There's sufficient "big city" amenities, but there is still local character, still a connection to the outdoors rather than just concrete, and still a relaxed friendliness that a lot of big cities consider themselves too "busy" and "important" for.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 PM

68 posts, read 376,466 times
I grew up in a rural town with 1100 people, and went to college in a town with about 90,000 so Austin definitely feels like a big city to me.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
I've only been here about 10 months now, but to me, it feels like a small big city or a big small city. What I mean is that it has a lot of the things that a big city has (good restaurants, lots of music, good theatres, world-class university, etc.), but is manageable, accessible, not overly crowded or fast-paced, and easy to get around in.
Austin is not easy to get around. The traffic is a nightmare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin