Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 04:29 PM

12 posts, read 65,264 times

Advertisements

We visited Austin recently and loved it so much we're seriously considering moving there asap! My only hesitation comes from the fact that it's the #1 allergy capital. I usually have hay fever in the spring and my husband has allergies in the fall and we're only near the #60 allergy capital. I'm not sure about moving somewhere where it would get A LOT worse.

I would love to hear from someone who has lived in Austin and middle Tennessee that could tell me their experience with the allergy differences. Has it really been that much worse in TX? Enough to make you wish you hadn't moved there? I realize the mountain cedar would be something we'd just have to see about by living there several years, but what about the more common allergies?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
My neighbor (who's originally from Michigan) also has property and 2 kids in Tennessee. He gets allergies pretty bad, but he's never said one place was worse than the other.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,886 times
We lived in Hendersonville for the past 11 years and moved to Round Rock this past May. I do not have "severe" allergies per se (do not see an allergist or take shots), but I think it is about the same. We had a lot of rain this past summer so the mold was REALLY high, and continues to be high a couple of days a week. I think that has been what is bothering me the most. The "cedar" fever that everyone keeps talking about is in full swing now, but I understand it might take a couple of years to develop a reaction to that (something to look forward to).

I think it is different allergens in different places, and I would agree with the other poster, I do not think one particular place is worse!

What part of TN are you guys in?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I have cedar fever this year. I don't have allergies and don't get cedar fever every year . It's not as bad this year as others. I just wake up every morning feeling like I'm catching a cold. By noon it's cleared up and by bedtime it starts all over again.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:52 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,296 times
Default Local Honey

I had horrible allergies and was sick for the first winter in Austin. Now I take 1 teaspoon of local honey each morning, and I have no allergies! I strongly strongly strongly suggest this, no matter where you live. When allergies are a concern for my out of town customers, I will mail them honey to take a month before they move. That is how much of a difference it makes.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 AM

112 posts, read 682,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkirk View Post
I had horrible allergies and was sick for the first winter in Austin. Now I take 1 teaspoon of local honey each morning, and I have no allergies! I strongly strongly strongly suggest this, no matter where you live. When allergies are a concern for my out of town customers, I will mail them honey to take a month before they move. That is how much of a difference it makes.
Hi Jen, what do you mean by local honey? Do you have specific brand?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:48 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times
Ick, I'm so sick today from the cedar. Stay away, stay far away. Unless you don't mind feeling really bad two or three months out of the year. It's soooooooooo bad!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Ick, I'm so sick today from the cedar. Stay away, stay far away. Unless you don't mind feeling really bad two or three months out of the year. It's soooooooooo bad!
Ohhhh..I'm just feeling really so-so today as well. Didn't think about the cedar count ; thought I was coming down with something.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM

61 posts, read 324,907 times
I am from there (Austin, so homesick) and live in Hendersonville TN, again (3rd time back to Tennessee), and I find the Spring here to be awful, but the cedar fever there to be bad without the local honey as well. Any local honey will do, two teaspoons a day helped me. Enjoy your wonderful new life there. I am jealous...

Old 01-12-2008, 01:54 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitguru View Post
I am from there (Austin, so homesick) and live in Hendersonville TN, again (3rd time back to Tennessee), and I find the Spring here to be awful, but the cedar fever there to be bad without the local honey as well. Any local honey will do, two teaspoons a day helped me. Enjoy your wonderful new life there. I am jealous...
How funny, we are really homesick for Hendersonville! I would give anything to be able to catch my Predators games in person! People around here do not know what they are missing without hockey nearby.

Thanks for the honey tip. My husband's business partner has allergies really bad, and he usually gets sinus infections about every other month. I will pass on the tip to him as well.

What part of Hendersonville are you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin