Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,596,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Central Austinite- Thanks for your thoughts, but I can not be convinced to keep a pool. It is an absolute no. My brother advised me not to even bid on the home as they think the seller will see their pool as an asset and not take the hit I expect to accommodate for the removal. FWIW- my brother 100% agrees about not having a pool with little kids.

The house I'm looking at with a pool needs at complete gut reno. I expect a lot of dumpsters to be out front. So, should budget 20K for pool removal and factor into any bid? Will be interesting.

I also wouldn't do what Trainwrecker recommends. I'd want to haul it all out.

Anything wrong with the pool?

If your concern is little one's, please.... my daughter was 3 when we got our pool installed. With proper alarm and out of reach bolt locks on the doors to the backyard is all in safety.

But all means if its a perfect working order pool and wanting to cover it, it's this plain out ****.

~ You should of never purchased that house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM

648 posts, read 1,957,229 times
It also takes up 90% of the back yard.

FWIW- I think I'll pass on the house.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
Exile,

I ran into the same situation! Central Austin homes where the entire backyard is nothing but the pool. (What were they thinking in the 60s?) I gave up when I started to run the cost estimates! Some yards the pool even took up the room where you'd need equipment to stand to tear it out!

Although we ended thinking of a pool as a plus, we still eliminated all houses where the only yard was a pool. We found that 1/3 acre lots were usually big enough to have a pool and play-yard.

Ultimately, our existing central Austin house with a tiny urban yard (and no pool) didn't sell so it is a moot issue for me. But you are right to be serious about your safety concerns. My uncle drowned as a teenager and if we had a house with a pool, my mother would spend all day every day praying that we wouldn't drown! Totally serious. I don't know that we could ever ally her concerns. At the same time my spouse grew up with pools and equates them only with fun, fun, fun!

At least the market spared us one dilemma.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM

354 posts, read 1,276,925 times
I just had my pool demolished last week. It was a 12,000 gallon play pool. I am in Phoenix and personally went down to the city deveopment services and got a demolition permit and did the simple things like drain it and disconnect the electrical equipment and autofill line. A section of the block wall (fence) came down to provide access for the bobcats. I opted to have the whole shell removed and thought it worth while to simplify things in the future. It went very well. The permit cost me $170. I had the pool compeletly removed, backfilled, yard regraded wall rebuilt for $5,400 including tax. The city did the final inspection before the backfill was started. I hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 AM

648 posts, read 1,957,229 times
Searcher - Very helpful. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: