Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times

Advertisements

I lived in WA and drove everywhere - AND, I still don't think it comes out in the wash.

The taxes here are INSANE - AND, the property appreciation (or lack thereof) is sad... but, I still think that you come out better here for quality of life and general cost of living decrease.

Hello to the newly transplanted Western WA people!! I miss it - but don't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM

32 posts, read 135,249 times
JenBar,
Agreed. The sunny weather more than makes up for it! Having the kids be outside bike riding, playing, etc in the middle of February is so awesome!
It's been so great (other than having to say goodbye to everyone). I do miss getting some quality coffee, though! A small price to pay...

I do know we never would have been able to afford the sort of house we plan on moving into for that price in Seattle -- not even close!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM

37 posts, read 161,283 times
We live in about 2800sqft in Steiner Ranch, we paid about $7500 last year in property taxes. I don't have mine escrowed, I just put the money in a interest saving account so it earns some money before I have to send it off to Uncle Sam. I think you may consider resale homes. I am not sure, but I think you may be able to save money on property taxes. $9000 sounds like a lot to me, but then again, I guess it depends on what kind of property you are buying.

I came from California where we had a state income tax and we paid more in taxes there since we also had a mello roos and state income tax. Not sure about Seattle though.....

Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,232 times
Default Renting

I NEVER THOUGHT I'D HEAR MYSELF SAY THIS..BUT HERE GOES! IT ALMOST MAKES SENSE TO RENT IN TEXAS LONG TERM, WITH THE HIGH PROPERTY TAXES,LOW EQUITY AND PAYING NO STATE INCOME TAX...HMM..OF COURSE THE DIFFICULT PART WOULD BE FINDING A QUALITY RENTAL IN THE AREA ONE WANTS TO BE IN..

Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 PM

16 posts, read 78,466 times
Default Stiener Ranch Quinlan Parkway

Hi I am planning to move in Stiener Ranch....I really fell in love with community the first time i visited....No wonder its named at best masterplanned community of 2006....

I just have couple concerns....One is house appreciation...and other is I was planning to buy a house on Quinlan Parkway and I was wondering if the road is busy and may cause noise disturbance...I was wondering if any body living right by quinlan parkway road has noise problem with vehicles....

Also how bad is the traffic going out of Stiener and average commute to Pflugerville....

Old 02-25-2007, 10:13 PM

How are mercedes homes in steiner ranch...I have never came across that builder...but looking at their website and some posts looks like they are pretty friendly and reliable....Any comments reviews will be of great help...
thanks....

Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
Bill D...personally, and speaking as a realtor, I would never choose to live on or backed to a major road like Quinlan Park. You will have a harder time reselling that home, no matter how nice it is, if it's backed to a major road. There are buses, construction vehicles, commute traffic and such. Even if you don't have a personal issue dealing with the noise, definitely consider how that home's resale value is affected. If you have an option that's similar but not backed to Quinlan, I'd go with the other option.

We drive our son into Steiner Ranch for school every morning and the traffic out is not horrible; what gets pretty nasty during rush hour is the intersection of the 2222 and the 620. If you're going to Pflugerville, I'd say your shortest time would be 35 minutes - that would be with absolutely no traffic. It will take you an absolute minimum of 20 minutes to get to the Lakeline Mall, which is right near where you'd pick up the toll road to get to Pflugerville.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Thank you gigi..I had same thought as you that resale might get affected. But my friend who lives in Steiner ranch showed me quite a few houses who had backyard facing quinlan parkway that are sold for over 500K, one of them which he showed me was a big house by longhorn canyon near golfcourse that was facing quinlan parkway...
So how do you feel about future overall appreciation for that community...

Old 02-28-2007, 07:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
I think overall appreciation for Steiner will be good - it is perceived as a good community. I think the appreciation will be slow/stable until new construction ends; and then you will see the pricing appreciate faster when there aren't as many options available in new builds.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
I would never choose to live on or backed to a major road like Quinlan Park.
I second this. Don't do it. We talk Buyers out of purchasing homes that have incurable permenant negative attributes unless there is an overwhelming, over-riding factor to offset. That road will only get busier and louder in years to come.

There is also headlight polution to think of (depending on the orientation of the home). Nothing like headlights dancing across your bedroom ceilings and walls all night, every night, for as along as you live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin