Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:05 PM

109 posts, read 410,120 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a newbie and a misplaced Texan due to the Air Force. We are getting ready to retire and open a dental practice somewhere in the Texas Hill Country. This web site and forum is great! I've really enjoyed reading all the postings. Now, I need a little help.

We will be traveling to Austin in Nov. to scout out places to open a dental practice. If you were me, where would you look? Which area is booming with growth. Any master planned communities that are just getting off the ground. Our seperation date is Nov.09.

My mother and father live in SA, so I would also consider anything within a couple of hours of Lake Medina.

Thanks for the help,

Debra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,064 times
If you want Hill Country, check out the area around Dripping Springs. There is a lot of growth with Belterra and HighPointe plus other developments going up. So far I have only seen about three dental offices in the area.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:32 PM

iceshots...thanks for the quick reply. Are Belterra and HighPointe new developments or cities in the Austin area? I need to get a big Texas map and hang it on the wall!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Belterra and HighPointe are developments off of hwy 290 to the southwest of Austin. It is probably the fastest growing area around the city, at least percentage-wise, and additional services and infrastructure is probably needed. Round Rock/Pflugerville is still growing, but is more established in regards to services.

NW San Antonio is also growing, such as the Boerne area, as well.

Fredericksburg and Kerrville are kind of retirement havens these days, so they are also possibilities. Both are generally populated with the 'well-off' retiree that takes good care of themselves, thus supporting a large medical industry. They are not 'booming', per se, but you might look into them. FB in particular, though, is kind of expensive.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-06-2008 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I second the recommendation for Dripping Springs. Driftwood is another possibility - those areas are pretty hot right now. You might check out Wimberley, as well.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Thanks TrainWreck and TexasHorseLady for the great information,
We will be coming to Austin the second weekend in Nov. We're going hit the ground running and try to visit as many areas as we can.
What county is Belterra and HighPointe located in? I love Boerne but after talking to a few real estate agents they said the growth of Boerne was going to hit a brick wall because of water rights. I haven't really looked into myself, I've just taken their word for it....I guess that's silly. Anyway, this trip will be all around the Austin area and maybe if time permits San Marcos and NB.

Time to look up these developments on the map! Thanks for the information....keep the ideas coming.

Retiring Air Force Doc looking for a place to call home!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 AM

Belterra and HighPointe are in Hays County.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Default Dream List

Ok, I've been dreaming about this for 24 years. Here is my dream list (thought it might help you pin point some other areas for me)

1. Would like practice outside of a larger city either SA or Austin, however larger city could offer an opportuntiy to become an associate if not opening our own practice. (instant cash flow)
2. Personnal home- would not mind a 30 minute drive to a shopping mall
Prefer neighbors not too close. Would like to find something 1-2 acres.
3. Doc would also agree to a 30 -45 minute drive to his practice from home.
4. I would love a home with a little bit of a view. I'm hoping I don't have to compromise on this one, but I realize that the practice location comes first!

Keep the development names coming....I don't want to go into the Austin area BLIND!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Heh, if you are worried about water, then you might look critically at the Hill Country in general. Dripping Springs may become all to appropriate a name .

As for your list - you left out the price range. I have always liked the property off the west side of 1826 (not sure on the names) down around Madronne Mountain. There are some nice houses up there on 1-2 acre lots with beautiful views. I think they run in the $450k range and up, though. 1826 is a kind of narrow and winding road, but pretty quick to get on Mopac (at hwy 45 or Slaughter ln) or drive up to 290.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 PM

Yes, what is your price range? And does it have to be in a development? I know of several possible areas in the Dripping Springs area that might suit, some in developments, some not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin