Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,762,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
I'd love any insight to the "cultural differences" from RSM to Round Rock, Cedar Park, etc...
Williamson County?

Orange County is on a very different level IMO. Much of this has to do with proximity to a large city -- Los Angeles.

The only areas/counties in Texas I might compare as having similarities to Orange County CA would be Fort Bend County (i.e. Sugar Land, Richmond) outside of Houston and Collin County (i.e. Plano, Frisco) outside of Dallas. With Fort Bend County you will have beaches an hour away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,074 times
Two SDSU grads who've spent the last 17 years in various parts of OC are looking to move to Austin. He's a techie.... Can you offer any neighborhood/city to neighborhood comparisons? i.e. Which OC area does Round Rock most compare to and then the other areas as well (Steiner Ranch, Circle C. etc.) And what are realistic commute times to/from various areas? Thank you!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 PM

743 posts, read 1,356,758 times
I've lived in Austin for several years now, but spent many years in the LA/OC area. We moved to Austin for a number of reasons, primarily a better quality of life for raising our kids (which included a lot of factors: schools, cost of living, outdoor lifestyle, etc etc.). I would say overall Austin has a more down-to-earth group of people than those I encountered in OC (disclaimer, there all ALL types wherever you live, but in general, that statement is true).

What do you miss?
The ocean and the more moderate summer temperatures.
I LOVE the ocean, love to walk by it, swim in the waves, relax and think by it, etc. I suppose you could call me an ocean person. Despite the multitudes of lakes and rivers here, it's not the same.

What was unexpected "plus" to moving there?
1. Incredibly great neighbors and friendships I've developed. I have an amazing tight-knit group of friends in my neighbors (we go out together, walk our dogs together, take over during crises, etc). Never had that in California.
2. A neighborhood where my kids can bike freely and safely, have lemonade stands, have the firetruck come on holidays to spray the kids , halloween parties, etc etc.
3. Better public schools compared to those we would have had if we stayed where we were (this is neighborhood and district dependent, but in our case, they are far superior)
4. No state income tax! Although property taxes are much higher, they are more than offset by the absence of state income tax.

What do you wish you knew before you moved there?
That summer temperatures last about 5 months, not 3!
That having a pool or pool access can make your life a whole lot better here in the summer.

Last edited by blakely; 05-12-2009 at 06:12 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM

701 posts, read 2,470,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgeticmom View Post
Two SDSU grads who've spent the last 17 years in various parts of OC are looking to move to Austin. He's a techie.... Can you offer any neighborhood/city to neighborhood comparisons? i.e. Which OC area does Round Rock most compare to and then the other areas as well (Steiner Ranch, Circle C. etc.) And what are realistic commute times to/from various areas? Thank you!
I'm not sure what area of OC to compare RR to. Majority of the homes here in Austin area are single family homes vs. condos by an overwhelming margin.

Steiner Rance could be similar to Ladera Ranch except that Steiner has a golf course and the lake, it's much larger and I'm not sure if there are any condo developments there.

Circle C is probably more like Mission Viejo if MV were 15 years younger but MV has a lake where Circle C has a pool, a veloway and is smaller. The schools in Circle C are nicer than the one we left in MV. Here, the kids are allowed to climb trees, play tag and run during recess.

Realistic commute times depend hugely on where you are travelling. It could be over an hour during the rush from Circle C to RR.

I believe that you can check traffic times on Google maps or other online traffic tracking sites. If you check over a few days, you can get a good idea of average commute times from one area to the next.

We moved here in July '07 and haven't really missed much of OC besides friends and family. Caveat: I wasn't much of a beach girl because the water was too cold. We love the outdoors and haven't really exhausted what the area has to offer.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,590,889 times
You mean to tell me we have people live in Austin that's from OC?

Really? No way?

There's too many small sq ft home here in Austin. I cannot even see that a family from OC would ever, ever and I mean ever want a small home out here in the Austin area

Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 14,972 times
My husband and I just moved here from o.c. california too

Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
You mean to tell me we have people live in Austin that's from OC?

Really? No way?

There's too many small sq ft home here in Austin. I cannot even see that a family from OC would ever, ever and I mean ever want a small home out here in the Austin area
Hehe silly. I was trying to get across that the areas in OC that she's trying to relate ATX/RR to are too different. South OC is full of condos and the things that go with tight, compact communities (sans the tight camraderie, ironic?).

They don't really look the same.

Austin is prettier and friendlier But really, either of those are where you find them, aren't they?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,008,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
Our family moved from OC (MV, specifically) to Austin about 18 months ago. We lived very, very close to the MV mall and were walking distance to my son's school. We moved to Circle C area of Austin and as far as house goes, there's a considerable difference. I'm still trying to adjust to that.

What do I miss? Family and friends. I wasn't really a "beach" person (except for maybe tide pool exploring), more of a tree person so I couldn't be happier here.

Unexpected plus: we're a part of a great, awesome fellowship at church; my kids love going "to the city" which is just basically going to visit the Capitol building; Amy's Ice Cream; lots of places for us to walk that don't involve shopping in any way (vs. our habit of hanging out at the Irvine Spectrum); we are able to homeschool our kids; lots of the trees drop their leaves and you can certainly tell there's a change of seasons without having to deal with snow.

Expected pluses: I know you didn't ask, but it does bear noting: the PEOPLE. Someone remarked to us before we moved that people don't care what you're wearing when you go out. People are very laid back and friendly. There's a bigger emphasis on family---not that there wasn't so much in OC, but there's a difference and I can't articulate what it is but it's there. The pace is slower (I've had a gentleman help me empty my shopping cart just because). There's a very strong creative vibe here, too.

There is theater, lots of live music (we've barely tapped into that aspect), history, water sports, hiking, etc. There's even shopping, just not like at South Coast Plaza.
Question....are the majority of Austin's Cal transplants moving from Orange? Sure sounds like it. I very rarely see any mention of folks moving out of the bay area...could it be that those involved in the tech area won't leave it for a lesser opportunity in Austin's tech community?
Possibly that the quality of life in northern cal far surpasses Southern Cal?
I don't recall a single relo cal post mentioning they were leaving San Diego either, which leads me to believe that California/Austin migration is largely a suburban LA thing.....the poor in the inner city can't move, and the people with means to get the hell out do so...simple as that....

Side comment....ANYPLACE is more friendly and mellow than southern cal.......not sure if its the traffic or high housing prices, but that area is extremely stressed, hence the mass exodus to Austin and all points east...

Old 11-06-2009, 01:04 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Question....are the majority of Austin's Cal transplants moving from Orange? Sure sounds like it. I very rarely see any mention of folks moving out of the bay area...could it be that those involved in the tech area won't leave it for a lesser opportunity in Austin's tech community?
Possibly that the quality of life in northern cal far surpasses Southern Cal?
I don't recall a single relo cal post mentioning they were leaving San Diego either, which leads me to believe that California/Austin migration is largely a suburban LA thing.....the poor in the inner city can't move, and the people with means to get the hell out do so...simple as that....

Side comment....ANYPLACE is more friendly and mellow than southern cal.......not sure if its the traffic or high housing prices, but that area is extremely stressed, hence the mass exodus to Austin and all points east...
We know people here from San Diego. We have a few neighbors here from the Bay Area too.

I was just chatting with a friend from Indio (So Cal) that moved to Las Vegas and he finds the people in So Cal to be friendlier than Vegas.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 AM

We have a neighbors here in Austin who are from the Bay area. Another from Santa Monica.

I can't even hazzard a guess as to why there's a big difference. The Bay area is considerably more expensive as far as I remember, than OC.

There's a big tech community in OC, there's one here in Austin. I'm not sure it's it's less here in Austin, just different tech cos.

I've visited a few places and Austin is just plain friendly. Note: visited, not lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin