Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,546,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Question....are the majority of Austin's Cal transplants moving from Orange? Sure sounds like it. I very rarely see any mention of folks moving out of the bay area...could it be that those involved in the tech area won't leave it for a lesser opportunity in Austin's tech community?
Possibly that the quality of life in northern cal far surpasses Southern Cal?
I lived in the Bay area for a couple years before moving to Austin. Most of the people there that I knew were relocating to Portland, Seattle, or Denver. A flight from Portland or Seattle back to visit their families in the Bay area is much shorter than a flight to Texas. I'm actually from San Diego. My two year stay in the Bay area was just temporary before relocating to the Austin area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 AM

538 posts, read 1,728,865 times
We lived in Sonoma County, CA, for thirty years. Having been in Austin for about 5 years now, we often remark about how Austin resembles the North Bay during the 70s especially Central Austin. Music, clothes, general detachment from outward material possessions, environmental awareness etc.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,028 times
Hello ! Do you still live in Austin ? Both my husband and I are crazy to move to Austin to give our little girl a better quality of life. My brother lives in Houston, but after looking at some comparables, we feel that Austin is a better fit for us. It's so expensive to live here, you can't rent a condo less than $2000 - $2200 a month and it's a small one. Let's not even talk about renting a home !! We had some serious financial blunders as so many in CA did/do, have had and are trying so hard to start over. That in itself is difficult but when you are trying to start over and do everything right with the cost of EVERYTHING being so expensive, it's very hard. Any advise? Both my husband and I are professionals in our 40's, and if you have heard or know of any job opportunities that would be great ! Any links would be helpful ! I hope that your family is still loving Austin, it was your story that "reinspired" me !! Hope you have a great holiday!!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janether1 View Post
Hello ! Do you still live in Austin ? Both my husband and I are crazy to move to Austin to give our little girl a better quality of life. My brother lives in Houston, but after looking at some comparables, we feel that Austin is a better fit for us. It's so expensive to live here, you can't rent a condo less than $2000 - $2200 a month and it's a small one. Let's not even talk about renting a home !! We had some serious financial blunders as so many in CA did/do, have had and are trying so hard to start over. That in itself is difficult but when you are trying to start over and do everything right with the cost of EVERYTHING being so expensive, it's very hard. Any advise? Both my husband and I are professionals in our 40's, and if you have heard or know of any job opportunities that would be great ! Any links would be helpful ! I hope that your family is still loving Austin, it was your story that "reinspired" me !! Hope you have a great holiday!!
You can rent a small 3bd, 2 bath house in Austin for around $1300/month.

Tips for Seeking Employment in Austin

Old 12-26-2011, 01:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,777,798 times
Quote:
Question....are the majority of Austin's Cal transplants moving from Orange? Sure sounds like it. I very rarely see any mention of folks moving out of the bay area...could it be that those involved in the tech area won't leave it for a lesser opportunity in Austin's tech community?
Possibly that the quality of life in northern cal far surpasses Southern Cal?
I don't recall a single relo cal post mentioning they were leaving San Diego either, which leads me to believe that California/Austin migration is largely a suburban LA thing.....the poor in the inner city can't move, and the people with means to get the hell out do so...simple as that....

Side comment....ANYPLACE is more friendly and mellow than southern cal.......not sure if its the traffic or high housing prices, but that area is extremely stressed, hence the mass exodus to Austin and all points east...
I came from the Bay Area so your theory doesn't stand up...

Old 12-28-2011, 10:43 PM

40 posts, read 72,556 times
I am from Cerritos (went to UCLA and USC) and my wife is from Fullerton (went to CSUF). We moved here about 1.5 years ago and I have to say we miss California occasionally for the museums, diversity of food, professional sports (die-hard Angels / Chargers / Lakers fan), and convenience of LAX (since we travel quite often). Sure, our quality of lives may improve a bit due to close proximity of workplace (no more crazy commuting between Cerritos <-> Westwood, Cerritos <-> Irvine) and better air quality but we wouldn't mind moving back if the opportunity presents itself. :-)

Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raristo View Post
I am from Cerritos (went to UCLA and USC) and my wife is from Fullerton (went to CSUF). We moved here about 1.5 years ago and I have to say we miss California occasionally for the museums, diversity of food, professional sports (die-hard Angels / Chargers / Lakers fan), and convenience of LAX (since we travel quite often
But we have all that not too far from here too, a 2.5 hour drive to Houston.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM

399 posts, read 970,116 times
Quote:
Question....are the majority of Austin's Cal transplants moving from Orange? Sure sounds like it.
Dear god, I hope not. The last thing we need is an influx of freepers from behind the Orange Curtain.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 PM

316 posts, read 874,187 times
Funny that i read this thread while visiting family in San Diego. Our home is in Austin, but i miss California (never thought i'd say that). Very mixed feelings on Austin vs Cali.

Spent 12 years in Ca (7 in North, 5 in South) before leaving for a better quality of life. That has all worked out well. But now real estate is cheaper, so the gap has narrowed. But Ca is even more BROKE now. So i'll have to keep visiting to enjoy the energy and the vibe here.

Sitting here in San Diego, somehow i think of Austin as that overgrown college town After the kids are grown, we plan to relocate again.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin