Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,060,535 times

Advertisements

Great map. If you use it interactively, it is interesting to see where people were going in 2008. Interesting that, while there is a lot of outward migration from San Francisco, there is a lot of inward from NY to SF. Chicago and Detroit seem like they are emptying out (a sea of red lines). Although Austin looks to have more coming in than out, there are areas that people are going to from Austin. And the earlier comment that most Californians coming here are from Orange County is obviously not true. Look at the influx from San Diego and the Bay area. I looked up the county I grew up in (Portage County, Wisconsin,) and most of the moving there has been within the state. Lots of areas with small populations seem to stay or more more locally. Just an interesting way of looking at things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:44 PM

40 posts, read 72,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
But we have all that not too far from here too, a 2.5 hour drive to Houston.
For most LA museums (LACMA, MOCA, MOLLA, OCMA) are only 30 minutes away. For Asian food (Torrance, Alhambra) are also 30-45 minutes away. LAX and John Wayne are also 30 minutes away when there is no traffic. [Wait, there is time when there is no traffic in LA]. And we miss going to big bear in winter and Huntington Beach / Laguna Beach in summer! Man, all this talk makes me want to move back but I don't want to pay state income tax and overprice housing.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raristo View Post
For most LA museums (LACMA, MOCA, MOLLA, OCMA) are only 30 minutes away. For Asian food (Torrance, Alhambra) are also 30-45 minutes away. LAX and John Wayne are also 30 minutes away when there is no traffic.
I understand. I guess a point I was trying to make was that many of these DO exist in Texas, just not here, but in a city that unfortunately is so often vilified and belittled by the media and others, that too many people who might find they would enjoy it instead just write it off.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM

100 posts, read 257,092 times
I like Austin much better than L.A. I'm originally from Austin, technically, but grew up primarily in California. Haven't spent much time in Orange County, but I find Austin to feel much safer than L.A. at least, and overall, much cleaner and nicer. Lots of cool, quirky cultural stuff going on here.

Also, I find Austin to be a lot more affordable and resident-friendly when it comes to renting. I was renting an old (cool, but OOOOOLD) studio in Santa Barbara for about $1,000 a month, and while the view of the mission was great, I could rent the same place for about $600-$700 here, size wise. I'm living in a studio here in Clarksville for $800 a month, and it's much nicer (no bugs, leaks, wood floors, etc.).

Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 PM

13 posts, read 40,293 times
Thumbs up OC to AUS

Hey there, I'm in the process of moving from OC to Austin as well. I am looking the SW area, though I loved the quaint town of Pflugerville too which is right near Round Rock. I am waiting on the hiring manager at the company I applied for to hear the next step in the process. I am excited after reading everyone's replies to your message. I definintely want a better cost of living and people who aren't out to compete with each other. I'd love to have a sense of community with friendly and nice people. Thanks for asking this and all the replies, helped me too!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,060,535 times
We lived in OC (Seal Beach, then Tustin, then city of Orange) for 13 years. We opted to leave mostly because increasing traffic congestion and air pollution (I hated that you could only see the mountains a few days of the year.) We moved to northern CA for 23 years, but are now in Austin. So obviously my experience of OC is not very immediate. But I would rather live in Austin. The air is much cleaner. People are more friendly. I never felt the snobbishness and materialism that OC has a reputation for, but I think that depends on where you live in OC. But while we lived in No. Cal, I never missed So. Cal. What do I miss about CA? Having lived in Austin coming up on 2 years, I still miss the CA weather sometimes, especially during the long, hot, Texas summers. I miss the ocean and SF Bay. I miss friends. But I am generally contented here in Austin. I am glad that we could buy a house for much less here, my neighborhood is friendly, and there is a lot to explore in central TX. There are cultural differences between CA and TX, but Austin is pretty diverse as far as attitudes and lifestyle, so I think a person can find a niche here and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin