Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 AM

8 posts, read 47,037 times

Advertisements

We're about a week away from deciding if we're moving to austin.

Of course, my wife and I have been talking about what to buy, build, rent, etc....

If we end up building, we're thinking about options. Where live now, there really aren't any custom home options, so we had a standard house built where we made some minor customizations (walls, doors, etc... - nothing really structurally different from the builder's stock plans).

From our research, there are real custom options in austin. We're going to be in the RR area, and are looking at the various building options. Assuming I take the job, I'd be working at Dell in Parmer South - we've narrowed locations down to the developments around Cactus Ranch ES, Avery Ranch, and Forest Creek. I like TeraVista, but it's a little far and I'm concerned about all the traffic getting past Ikea, etc.... (Any thoughts on this as well would be appreciated)

We're struggling with: Do we go with a semi-custom house from a stock builder in a development or do we go with a fully custom builder.

We're not looking for "super luxury" in a custom home - more along the lines of just getting exactly the "right" floor plan.

Our price range is in the $400K-$500K range, but we'd like to keep things closer to the $400K range.

Clearly if a builder has a stock plan that's "close enough", it's much less hassle than fully custom.

Does anyone in the group have specific experience with one of the fully custom builders like Partners in Building or any of the others?

Also - My research has shown that Forest Creek has a bunch of lots for sale, but the other developments we're looking at don't seem to have "open" lots.

Finally - we haven't made any decisions on what to do - we're considering all the regular options as well - but IF we get to the point of building - we wanted to get some feedback.

Any thoughts from the group?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 10:22 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Do you know the book, Your New House by Alan and Denise Fields? (They are the folks who do the Baby Bargins Book). Anyway, I would strongly suggest getting a copy fast! Very through yet readable introduction to the whole process. It will quickly get you up to speed so you can ask the proper questions to get the answers you need.

I did a semi-custom in Austin proper with a small builder, it went great, I learned an incredible amount and enjoyed the whole process! In my next life, I plan to come back as a general contractor!

I have no experience in Round Rock or with larger developers.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:32 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,220 times
I live in Forest Creek. I don't know that there are a "bunch" of open lots - but there are a few. There are also some with builders, I think maybe Drees? There are a LOT of already built, existing homes, already upgraded, customized and totally tricked out - even with pools, in your price range. Why build when someone probably already built something you will likely love.... and could get a better deal on right now with the market the way it is?

Quote:
Assuming I take the job, I'd be working at Dell in Parmer South - we've narrowed locations down to the developments around Cactus Ranch ES, Avery Ranch, and Forest Creek. I like TeraVista, but it's a little far and I'm concerned about all the traffic getting past Ikea, etc.... (Any thoughts on this as well would be appreciated)
Forest Creek, and TeraVista will probably give you your best commute via the toll road 130. It's basically a straight shot, no traffic. Maybe 15-20 mins from Forest Creek, with it being 25-30 from Tera Vista? Your commute from Avery Ranch, even if on the toll roads will be higher, simply because you are going from one side of town to the other.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the quick response Jenbar,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I live in Forest Creek. Why build when someone probably already built something you will likely love.... and could get a better deal on right now with the market the way it is?
That's one of the options as well - my question is aimed more along the lines of IF we ended up not finding what we wanted and decided to build. We're definitely looking at existing houses (I've driven through Forest Creek and seen a lot of very nice stuff).

thanks!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Do you know the book, Your New House by Alan and Denise Fields?
Yep! I bought it when we built our current house!

Would you be willing to share the name of your builder?

Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 AM

183 posts, read 686,259 times
I live in Teravista and I wouldn't be worried about the traffic around Ikea. It used to be horrible before they put in a light at Sunrise and Teravista Pkwy, but it's not too bad now. If the traffic is really bad you can always take Sunrise down to Old Settlers and then to I-35. I like Teravista, I wouldn't say any of the homes are semi-custom though, just the builders plans with a few minor changes, similar to what you're in now.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM

351 posts, read 336,444 times
I would just say hire a third party inspector. I am currently in litigation with a builder for a house just above your price range. Start the inspection at the framing process because unless your inspector has x-ray vision he can't see through drywall. Many semi custom builders are using bottom of the barrel contractors as custom builders pay better. You would be surprised at the shortcuts that are taken and you won't know until it is too late. I can give you a rec. for a great one if you'd like he came rec. to me by 6 other people and I will never build again without him.
Good Luck and Welcome.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:26 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
I would check out resales. There are a lot of really nice homes for sale in your price range and area of interest. You are bound to find one that you like. Also, you will probably get more for your money. A lot of the new construction in those communities have smaller lots. And in this market, you should be able to get a great deal.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 AM

260 posts, read 904,432 times
We built a custom home 3 years ago (in San Marcos). We had to sell and move to NW Austin due to our job commute. We lost money on that sell; the first RE investment we've ever lost money on. We lived in the home ~ 2 years.

Construction costs have gotten very expensive and when going custom, people tend to put more $$$ in certain upgrades. That's were we lost $$$. If we stayed in our home longer we would have made $$$.

While it was a fun process, I regret building that home. I wish we would have just purchased a resale in Austin because we would have gotten FAR more for our money.

Good luck in your move!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,921 times
We are building with Drees in Brushy Creek and the price for building was surprisingly low compared to resale houses. We are very particular and wanted a big private lot while still being in a new community. I was planning on buying a resale but ended up buying new. I was fun to be able to redesign the house and make changes to the plan without any issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin