Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,173,563 times

Advertisements

So we closed on our house Friday (YAY!) and I just found out that I need to buy a refrigerator and washer/dryer set. Is Best Buy the best place? Is there another place I should know about?

Also, need a new mattress set. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 AM

786 posts, read 2,753,051 times
Sears is having an upcoming sale on Kenmore appliances. If you buy three or more you get a 20% mail in rebate.

I also saw a website for a scratch and dent place. Can't remember the name of it.

We are also shopping for a fridge, washer, dryer and possibly an oven.

So much fun!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,173,563 times
Ha! Not so much fun when you have company coming in a few days... and your husband is still in your old city packing up your crap and you're taking care of the 2 year old by yourself. LOL!

Guess my house guests better enjoying roughing it! At least we'll have heat and water, right?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 AM

I hope your house guests are helping you move in. Otherwise I'd be putting up the no vacancy sign until things are in order.

Our move in date is the end of the month, so we still have some time.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM

11 posts, read 37,514 times
If you don't mind having brand new appliances with minor cosmetic damage, you might want to try Sears Outlet.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWFORUMSDOTORG View Post
If you don't mind having brand new appliances with minor cosmetic damage, you might want to try Sears Outlet.
Where is the Sears outlet in Austin? I have always been able to pick up good deals there.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,459,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
So we closed on our house Friday (YAY!) and I just found out that I need to buy a refrigerator and washer/dryer set. Is Best Buy the best place? Is there another place I should know about?

Also, need a new mattress set. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Sure, hope, sure...wait until the weather turns nice and then move. We might even get some rain now that you are here! Welcome to AUS and 'hook 'em'!

We were lucky to hit the Memorial Day Tax free holiday along with Maytag deals through the BORG. Got some rebates and % off as well as the one-year NO-NO deal. I'm not seeing those kinds of deals right now...looks like everybody is 10-15% off for Columbus Day with delivery included. If you have a card with Big Orange, you'll get the one-year finance deal.

We tried three times to spend over $2500 in Best Buy in ATL and couldn't get any help at all. Haven't been back since.

They have a place called Conn's here...been in business since 1890, they say. I can't see any reason anyone goes there--I wouldn't have except they sent out $50 gift cards in the mail. I can't be bought but I can be rented for a short while.

Since we are way up here in Avery Ranch, I'm not familiar with stores in your area. I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations. We are trying to buy 'local' but the big boxes sure do have a lot of stuff!

Again, welcome, and PM me if you need any tools or help before hubby arrives. Adios, Rick

BTW, if you are considering a memory foam mattress, I highly recommend 'Bedinabox'...about one third the price of Tempurpedic and will deliver to your door at no charge. Google bedinabox for info.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:55 PM

5,851 posts, read 11,849,776 times
For Appliances, I've had good luck with Sears. Their website is great, you can sort and search by brand, feature, etc. The Lakeline store doesn't carry a huge inventory but of course they'll order anything you want out of their San Antonio warehouse.

I've purchased all of my mattresses from Factory Mattress. They are a locally owned business and I like their selection and prices.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 PM

207 posts, read 855,822 times
I bought LG front load washer and dryer at Home Depot. At the time they were running 10% off and 1 year no interest/payment. I think we paid $79 for a 4 year warranty which I thought was a pretty fair price.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,459,383 times
Forgot to mention Costco...not sure what they have for appliances. Mattress Firm is another chain with stores in ATL and AUS. Actually, up and down 183 you will find a GoodWill and a matress store on just about every corner...not sure what that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin