U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 31,049 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving from the Chicago area to Austin in about 4 months, and I am a huge fitness freak...I have competed in bodybuilding shows and working out is a major part of my lifestyle.

Here in the Midwest we have what I consider to be huge, multi-level, modern fitness facilities with indoor and outdoor pools, weights, classes, cardio, hot tubs, saunas, etc open 24/7...places like Lifetime Fitness, XSport Fitness, LA Fitness, etc...

For guys like me, they are my afterwork de-stressors, and I would love to get my girlfriend more involved too, perhaps in the classes.

I hear that everything is bigger in Texas! I hope this is true for the gyms as well!

Does anyone have any suggestions for Fitness Centers like this in the Austin area? The locations would very much affect where I choose to live, so it is something I would like to start researching now...

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 AM

362 posts, read 951,302 times
If you're already a Lifetime Fitness member, don't cancel your membership. There are two clubs here in Austin, one up north and one down south. I just came down from MI in May and am able to continue to work out at a facility that has the exact same setup as the one I was using back home.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:20 AM

14,003 posts, read 30,841,114 times
Lifetime Fitness, 24-hour Fitness, and Gold's are the big names that come to mind immediately. There are many others, but those have multiple locations and tend to be the 'bigger' facilities. Which one you use/prefer will depend on what you are looking for in a gym. Gold's seems to be more of a base workout type place, whereas LT and 24-hour are more 'posh', and the prices are in-line with the 'options'. If swimming is part of your routine, that will be a big factor, as only a few have big pools with enough lanes.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:24 PM

13 posts, read 31,049 times
Wow, there are TWO Lifetime Fitnesses...too cool! I was a member here in Illinois a few years back and loved it...great community, great way to meet people.

Does anyone know which Lifetime in Austin is more energetic? I know here there is a Lifetime in the Western Suburbs that is all old people, it's a drag to lift there, but the one in the Northwest Suburbs is pretty cool... I know it's a stretch, but does anyone know which one is more "lively"?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM

14,003 posts, read 30,841,114 times
The one in NW Austin has been there longer (and I am guessing it has a larger membership), so I understand that the leagues (volleyball, basketball, etc.) and such are much more active. I have co-workers that go to that one, but have not actually been there myself.

The one in SW Austin has a mix of people. There are lots of families in the evenings (sometimes appears to be a HS hang out, even) while the mornings (5:30 am to, say, 6:30 am) are more the professional set.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,010,903 times
I'm a member of the NW Austin LTF. Always Basketball games going on, voleyball some nights, lots of great looking people 20s-40s(?) working out. Lifting and cardio. Gets pretty crowded on week nights from 5-6:30 but there is always a machine or weights open so it's not a big deal.

I've never been to the south location.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM

447 posts, read 1,718,310 times
I'm also a member of the North Lifetime Fitness, and it always seems busy and lively to me. Beautiful facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin