Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The GOP platform does not indicate what is happening in the state. It might represent a desired state for some, but it certainly doesn't reflect what many (perhaps most) in Texas want.

Hmmm. Who voted them into office then?

Quote:
Republicans control all statewide Texas offices, both houses of the state legislature and have a majority in the Texas congressional delegation. The state has continued its Republican voting trend in presidential elections. This makes Texas one of the most Republican states in the U.S.
Politics of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Believe me, I wish what you said was true.
I really do. But it's not.

Futhermore, the OP (Humanoid) wanted to know about SOCIAL conservatism.
Well, even the 'blue' areas along the valley and in El Paso are mainly FISCALLY liberal Hispanics with a strong SOCIAL conservative streak.

Anyone that says Texas is a liberal anything needs their head examined.
Seriously. 'Check yo'self before you wreck yo'self.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's why I said "little l". I was not referring to any specific party (was trying to make that clear, but clearly didn't, at least for you), but to an attitude that one's politics is one's own business (along with lots of other things) and that the important thing, from a neighbor's perspective, about people is that one is a good person/neighbor, not that one is a Republican or a Liberal or even a Libertarian, and that foisting one's political viewpoints, unasked, upon one's neighbors is, as I said, rude. At best.
Actually, a little l libertarian, of which I am one, is one that believes in limited government and economic freedom but doesn't formally belong to the Libertarian party. What you are describing is not necessarily the same thing. What you are describing is simply someone who doesn't hold someone else's politics against him, but that has nothing to do with a libertarian belief system.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
This thread is from 2008 so I doubt the OP is interested in any of this anymore.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
This thread is from 2008 so I doubt the OP is interested in any of this anymore.
True, but I believe this is a common question that pops into the minds of many would-be relocatees when considering TX. When I was moving from very liberal Seattle, many acquaintances gasped in horror at my state of choice because of their preconception of TX politics.

Often regular posters tell others to search the threads when they ask questions that have been discussed regularly, so this timeless and somewhat general thread will likely be utilized by many others than just the OP.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
Quote:
I believe this is a common question that pops into the minds of many would-be relocatees when considering TX.
Yes, sorry, I should have made it clear that I was referring to comments in the last few days referencing the OP's original question as though any of this was relevant to the OP any more.

For what it's worth I'd call Austin Libertarian rather than Liberal.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Thanks for bringing that up. I didn't see that the original post was that old.

Still, if not relevant to the OP it may be relevant to people like the OP looking for similar information.
No one likes to sift through personal arguments and grossly off topic digressions.
Lord knows 99% of the internet is devoted to just those endeavours. Anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Me and my wife have been shopping for places to relocate. We some what recently moved backed to Southern California and came to the conclusion that its simply not worth the costs.

Regardless, we aren't socially conservative. I know Texas is more a Republican stronghold than California, but just how conservative is Texas in particular the Austin area? I don't mind fiscal conservatives and in fact that is part of the reason we are looking at Texas (Lower personal and business taxes), its social conservativism that bothers us a bit.
Social conservatism and the conservative cultural warriors are alive and well in Texas. Period.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Social conservatism and the conservative cultural warriors are alive and well in Texas. Period.

I'm not trying to be rude when asking this: what does the above statement mean exactly? What does it mean to be socially conservative? Also, what is a "conservative cultural warrior"??

Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM

No offense taken.

If you're really interested in what it means to be a 'socially conservative' or a 'conservative cultural warrior' just google the terms.
Simple enough. See?

My opinion, as it relates to this discussion, can be found in post #70 of this thread.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
No offense taken.

If you're really interested in what it means to be a 'socially conservative' or a 'conservative cultural warrior' just google the terms.
Simple enough. See?

My opinion, as it relates to this discussion, can be found in post #70 of this thread.

I know how to use google. However, I find it best to get it straight from the horses mouth. That way I won't have to guess at what they're saying. Google might say one thing but someone might think another. I read post #70. So you're saying your wrote that opinion you linked or you agree with it. Sorry, not sure which it is.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:13 AM

16 posts, read 45,010 times
Default austin is the oasis in the desert and it aisnt DULL-ASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuitron View Post
You're right. Most of Texas is fairly conservative in it's political views, but if you're going to pick a spot to live after leaving California, Austin is the place to be. People in Texas refer to Austinites as "Weird," but we moved from Indianapolis and have found them to be generous, tolerant, educated, concerned, and kind. And, Austin is the closest thing to California (San Francisco-like terrain) in all of Texas . . . lots of hills and water. I say go for it.
austin is the oasis in the desert and it aisnt DULL-ASS

i have a house for rent in austin and one prospective tenant from other part of concrete jungle - dull-ass - said "put astro-turf - why garden"

cheers
olga lednichenko
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin