Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times

Advertisements

I am a newbie here, so not really the best host choice probably... none the less, they come next month!

On the list already, Salt Lick, Hula Hut.... and I suppose there are some museums in Austin?

Help! They will be here a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM

2,267 posts, read 7,303,064 times
Here's an old thread that has lots of good info:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ht=Attractions

Old 02-16-2007, 07:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,261,197 times
Most of this is mentioned in the thread AT posted (I think I started that thread, in fact!) but our out of town relatives really loved Zilker Park, The Oasis and seeing the Capitol. They were also really charmed by driving around the areas near downtown where a lot of the old historic homes and stuff are!

Old 02-16-2007, 07:37 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,261,197 times
Oh, and if you get them out to Fredricksburg, that's a great stop!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,623,550 times
You can bring them down to San Antonio!

http://www.sanantoniocvb.com/

Old 02-17-2007, 01:36 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Find out what they are interested in and what they would like to do. There is something in Austin for everybody. Some of the best stuff isn't the tourist stuff though. I deal with a lot of people from out of town and it's always interesting to me the things they come up with to do with their free time in Austin.

A couple of weeks ago one of my clients spent all day at the LBJ library reading transcripts and listening to tapes of LBJ's oval office conversations. Go figure. He said it was a most enjoyable day. Others head out to Salt Lick, Barton Springs, and all that stuff too, but there are hidden gems in Austin if you look under the surface.
Steve

Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Find out what they are interested in and what they would like to do.
Oh, please - if it were that easy!

I know what they are interested in, they are from Seattle - and are very politically and socially aware - but don't do a lot of "touristy" sort of trips. Very into the whole Seattle lifestyle. Their trips to South Africa are spent helping build a school, for example. Winters spent at Seattle's independant movie festivals - and attend many of the very left political agenda type festivals and such.

They are awesome!

Really, I bet they just want to hang with my kids, and the husband and I - so I was just looking for cool, Austiny backdrops to do that sort of thing.

They have said they wanted to go to San Antonio/The Alamo - so that will be on our list.

Thanks for the other suggestions, and links!!

I think that we are also thinking of taking them out to the segregated BBQ place in Taylor - because it will be flat out shocking and unbelieveable - and is totally up their alley to fan their political flames. Just trying to figure out how we go there, without giving that business any of our money...

Old 02-19-2007, 12:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times
Depends. Do you want them to come back or not?

Well, if they are into the artsy stuff like Seattle are they going to be in Austin during the South by Southwest? Check out this link to see what is going on that week. Even if they are not here then you need to go.
http://2007.sxsw.com/
It starts March 9 and goes thru the 18th.

Drop into Arts Rib Shack and maybe you'll catch someone playing. Of course there are always the bats. Pack a picnic, bottle of wine and take the family to watch for the bats. If you want a long day then San Antonio is an option or just down to NB. If they are into older classic cars stop at a place along the highway just south of NB called Automania and wander around and see what they have.

Pick up a copy of Texas Monthly and see what is listed in it for events going on in the area, large and small.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:25 PM

I heard that SXSW is not really "kid-friendly" in that it's terribly hot, dirty, packed with people... more of like an intense concert environment, than a hang out and listen to music casually, sort of atmosphere. True?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:15 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
SXSW can be very crowded, at times and places, but it is really spread out all over downtown (and further), so it is not like being crowded into a building. It is really not 'kid friendly' in that most kids will not find anything to entertain them downtown during the festival.

On a similar note, Eeyore's birthday party (in Pease park) has to be the most kid friendly stoner event in the US .

Personally, if the weather is nice, I would get them out to Zilker park. If they like wine, there are some nice winerys out toward Fredericksburg...I highly recommend Becker Vineyards for atmosphere and wine (www.beckervineyards.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin