Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

I don't see the candy as being the end all and be all, that's all. I hand out candy until it's all gone.

I guess if I lived in an apartment complex, I'd organize something with my neighbors. Seems like a pain to drive my kids across town. Maybe I should drive my kids over to Westlake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 PM

322 posts, read 847,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't see the candy as being the end all and be all, that's all. I hand out candy until it's all gone.

I guess if I lived in an apartment complex, I'd organize something with my neighbors. Seems like a pain to drive my kids across town. Maybe I should drive my kids over to Westlake?
I understand where you are coming from. I can say, that in my experience, living in a complex as a family is hard. You don't know most of your neighbors, the vast majority of them are single and without children, there are conflicts over noise levels. Many other things. It really is safer and easier to drive over to an actual neighborhood to trick or treat.
As far as the OP is concerned, I will take my kids out at 6:30, be home by 7:30, hand out candy until 9. Then I will watch the Walking Dead and enjoy an adult beverage.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesprucetree View Post
We're from Cleveland and moved to Austin not long ago. Do you know where other Clevelanders in Austin go to, to watch Browns games together ?
Yes I do. Back to Cleveland

Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Yes I do. Back to Cleveland
I was very pleased that they televised the Cleveland game against New Orleans this past Sunday on the regular stations... I've got a feeling there are a lot of Browns fans here in Austin now, and most aren't from Ohio.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
As mentioned, some kids live in neighborhoods where trick or treating would not be safe. If you live in a nice neighborhood, and especially if the area celebrates in a big way by putting out a lot of decorations, then you are going to attract kids and parents. All parents want their kids to have a good trick or treating experience - friendly homeowners, cool decorations, good quality candy, and lots of other kids around. If your neighborhood fits the bill, then you have to expect people to come. I would recommend that you think of it as a community service and enjoy it. But if not, you can turn off your lights and retreat to the back of your house.
I don't have a problem with kids going to better areas. Living in a rural acreage area for the past 11 trick or treats, we had to do that ourselves because there simply was no trick or treating in our neighborhood.

But to the parents, whether from in or outside the neighborhood, please don't be one of those morons who slowly rolls along in the vehicle trailing the kids along every street as they walk. Get your butt out of the car and walk. It is, to me, one of the stupidest things in the word to follow trick or treaters in a car. It's unsafe, it pollutes and, I'll say it again, it's stupid.

Steve

Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I don't have a problem with kids going to better areas. Living in a rural acreage area for the past 11 trick or treats, we had to do that ourselves because there simply was no trick or treating in our neighborhood.

But to the parents, whether from in or outside the neighborhood, please don't be one of those morons who slowly rolls along in the vehicle trailing the kids along every street as they walk. Get your butt out of the car and walk. It is, to me, one of the stupidest things in the word to follow trick or treaters in a car. It's unsafe, it pollutes and, I'll say it again, it's stupid.

Steve
I certainly agree! I don't actually remember seeing anyone doing this, but I would for sure be irritated with seeing it. It would also set a really bad example for the kids.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM

322 posts, read 847,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
I hear ya, Steve! There were several parents doing that in my 'hood last year. We just laughed and kept on walking.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
I think I'll hand out something usefull.... Maybe dental floss :-)

Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Sorry..just can't resist. Each time I see this thread's heading.."What time does Trick or Treat Start ?" I snicker.

So here's the answer..

In Austin Trick or Treat starts at 7:30, not 7:00 and not 8:00. It's over a 9:30 prompt because next day is a school day.

*I feel better now

Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

I live in Westlake and we would welcome anyone wanting to come over here to trick or treat. You best bet around this part of Austin though would probably be in Rollingwood. In my neighborhood of Westlake our lots are quite big and it isn't as much fun for the kids as Rollingwood where the kids can see lots more other kids and hit up many more houses in the same time.

Anyway for time, in my neighborhood it usually starts with the very young ones with their folks after dinner and before sunset, so 5:30 to 7:00 and then after sunset until 9 for the kids who are old enough to go on their own. And then from 10:30 to midnight is when the high schoolers TP all their 'friends' houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin