Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 32,174 times

Advertisements

Would love any feedback on our relocating to Round Rock. We currently reside in Henderson, Nevada and are ready to move the family to a more well-rounded community with good schools and a more family oriented area. it's very transient here and we're looking to settle somewhere. I've done quite a bit of research on Round Rock and it looks very inviting. I would love good and bad feedback about the area. Also my kids play soccer, water polo and one is in gymnastics. Any information on that too is appreciated. Pretty much the only negative thing I've heard is the hot summers. I'm originally from OKC where the summers were hot and humid. Is it worse than there? Are there nice parks, summer camps, fishing, etc. too? Looking forward to your comments Post here or:

[mod cut]

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-05-2015 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Not the best idea to post your email on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 03:03 PM

993 posts, read 2,438,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeleeon View Post
Would love any feedback on our relocating to Round Rock. We currently reside in Henderson, Nevada and are ready to move the family to a more well-rounded community with good schools and a more family oriented area. it's very transient here and we're looking to settle somewhere. I've done quite a bit of research on Round Rock and it looks very inviting. I would love good and bad feedback about the area. Also my kids play soccer, water polo and one is in gymnastics. Any information on that too is appreciated. Pretty much the only negative thing I've heard is the hot summers. I'm originally from OKC where the summers were hot and humid. Is it worse than there? Are there nice parks, summer camps, fishing, etc. too? Looking forward to your comments Post here or:

[mod cut]
Round Rock is much hotter & more humid than Oklahoma City. If you have a job though it should pay much better than OKC though (and your coworkers should be more educated on average). Not as family friendly in Austin / Round Rock.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-05-2015 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Do you live there? What makes you say it's not family friendly there? Just curious...Are there good job opportunities there? It's a growing city...My husband is an Architect. Hopefully that will help! Thanks again!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 PM

183 posts, read 683,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Not as family friendly in Austin / Round Rock.
I will first off admit that I have never been to OKC, so maybe I am WAY off base, but where on earth did you live in the Austin/RR area that isn't as "family friendly"? We have lived in Austin and are currently residing in RR, and find it very family friendly, and I say this coming from an area in CO that ranks at the top of list for "family friendly"

A few things we enjoying doing as a family:
Crowe's Nest Farm Animal Liffe Center
Welcome To Natural Bridge Caverns Texas
Official Site of the Round Rock Express
City of Round Rock - Round Rock Dog Depot
City of Round Rock - Round Rock Skate Park
City of Round Rock - Christmas Family Night

General info:
Rock'n River Family Aquatic Center - Attractions - Sports Capital of Texas
Live Music and stuff to do for Families with kids in Austin, Tx

Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 AM

993 posts, read 2,438,461 times
Quote:
Do you live there? What makes you say it's not family friendly there? Just curious...Are there good job opportunities there? It's a growing city...My husband is an Architect. Hopefully that will help! Thanks again!
I grew up a few miles outside of Austin in Travis County. Lived there for 17 years. Went to UT-Austin, etc. The job opportunities are very good old boy. Most of the people that graduated from UTCS during the dot-com times couldn't get jobs in Austin, and the jobs to be gotten were worse paying, inferior work conditions and less stable than say Dallas or Houston (in general). Jobs pay much better than San Antonio or OKC though. It's not as family friendly as that's not the focus of the city, it's more oriented toward people in their 20s, college, young workers, etc. People pay for what's important to them; Businesses cater to the local wants. Don't know about the architecture field, I have a former classmate from high school that got an architecture degree from UT-Austin, and he's working in IT now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbean View Post
I will first off admit that I have never been to OKC, so maybe I am WAY off base, but where on earth did you live in the Austin/RR area that isn't as "family friendly"? We have lived in Austin and are currently residing in RR, and find it very family friendly, and I say this coming from an area in CO that ranks at the top of list for "family friendly"
I've lived all over Austin, from downtown/university (west campus & north campus), south, north, far north, ... suburbs including Westlake, Cedar Park & Round Rock. Granted I don't know too much about Colorado, but the Austin area is not family friendly compared to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio (or OKC).

Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 7,164 times
Ive been here for over 13 years, raised two kids here, one public, one private school-put them thru every sport imaginable-we've been in Cedar Park area--my son graduated from college, went to work in Nashville for Dell-begged to relocate back here--we love Lake Travis-unlimited things to do on the water with kids, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, football pretty much year round, music fests galore, great restaurants of every type imaginable (chain to bohemian) great farm league baseball (Round Rock Express) with great ballfield, Zilker park and all the swimming holes like none other in the United States, world class healthcare(I'm a nurse-we do heart transplants, Dell Childrens hospital is premier for pediatric care)-its been a great place to raise kids, find people who have any kind of interest you may have, live very close to a great lake, park system-and Dallas,Houston,San Antonio for major league sports or long weekends--I'm from Chicago, and I absolutely think this is one of the nicest places a person could ever live-the geography is stunning from the hill country to camping trips we've taken to Big Bend--off my soapbox now, but I've been very happy living in Austin.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM

Thank you so much for such a positive reply!! Granted everyone has an opinion, and I respect that, but it sure is reassuring to hear so many positive things about Austin and it's surrounding areas. For the person living in RRock, please let me know local schools, communities to live, etc. Would love more specific information. Until we visit, all I can do is search online. It's nice to have a contact who lives there who can give me details. Have 2 sons in E.School and 1 son in Jr. High. I appreciate any and all information!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:23 AM

183 posts, read 683,700 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for such a positive reply!! Granted everyone has an opinion, and I respect that, but it sure is reassuring to hear so many positive things about Austin and it's surrounding areas. For the person living in RRock, please let me know local schools, communities to live, etc. Would love more specific information. Until we visit, all I can do is search online. It's nice to have a contact who lives there who can give me details. Have 2 sons in E.School and 1 son in Jr. High. I appreciate any and all information!
I'll email you some more info

Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it

Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 29,803 times
Everyone is going to have their own ideas but i think you cant go wrong with any area in and around Austin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin