Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 PM

59 posts, read 172,927 times

Advertisements

Im new to town and I want to know whats the best bbq place in Austin. I went to a place called Smokey Mo's and although their sauce was good I wasnt impressed. Im in North Austin, but Im open to all suggestions! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 04:37 PM

7,993 posts, read 10,337,609 times
I would make the trip to The Salt Lick. The original in Driftwood is pretty far, BYOB, and only takes cash. However, they have a location by the Dell Diamond now. I haven't been to the new one yet, so I don't know if it's as good as the original.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:22 PM

59 posts, read 172,927 times
what about Icehouse, Its off the 183 near a big lots, I peaked in there when I left out of big lots and it seemed pretty popular.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM

938 posts, read 3,493,672 times
Rudy's, although a chain, has multiple locations and pretty good BBQ. I also like Ruby's (easily confused with Rudy's) but it is pretty expensive for the portion sizes. The Green Mesquite also has some good BBQ (along with lots of other food) and has great prices. For the true Texas BBQ experience, you need to head out to the Salt Lick. Its worth the drive and you leave STUFFED.

I've also heard that the Iron Works has good BBQ but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 PM

7,993 posts, read 10,337,609 times
Rudy's doesn't do much for me, but I'm in the minority there, as most people seem to like it. Iron Works is pretty good. I forgot about them.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,207,663 times
Buster's BBQ is in Lakeway and worth the drive.

If you want truly divine BBQ, head towards Lockhart. Don't stop - keep driving until you get to Luling. Go to City Market.

Or, head to Llano to Cooper's, the mecca of BBQ for some time now. I've heard rumors it's not as wonderful as it used to be, but it's been true Texas BBQ forever.

You'll also want to go to Southside Market in Elgin for sausage.

You could also head north to Belton to Schoepf's and if you're lucky, get some cabrito. If they don't have it the day you're there, the regular BBQ is still mighty tasty.

Head down to 12th street to House Park BBQ ("Don't need no teef to eat my beef").

When you're done with all that, come back and I'll give you some more.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,354,398 times
We have been to the Salt Lick at Dell Diamond (not the original yet), and I was really impressed with their meat. I wasn't to into their side dishes though.

We made a long trip to Cooper's in Llano, I wasn't too impressed. As a matter of fact, our entire party was very disappointed after a long ride and all the hype.

Louie Mueller's in Taylor was pretty good and sausage was excellent!

Rudy's is good in a rush, when you don't want to drive and don't want to wait. The cream corn is the BOMB though!

My husband LOVES Mann's.

There are still several we want to check out! Enjoy the adventure!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 AM

89 posts, read 417,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtp0000 View Post
Im new to town and I want to know whats the best bbq place in Austin. I went to a place called Smokey Mo's and although their sauce was good I wasnt impressed. Im in North Austin, but Im open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Mo's made me sick once. I know it's not Austin but go 30 miles south to Lockhart, there are four great BBQ places, enjoy.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 AM

362 posts, read 1,040,617 times
Smokey Mo's has been my least favorite. I was not impressed with their BBQ offerings, and will never return.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,550,875 times
You should definitely try Rudy's next. I'm sure it's not the best BBQ in Austin, but I think it's a good "Introduction to BBQ" place. I'm not a fan of any pieces of fat on meat which is why I normally only eat chicken. However, the lean brisket at Rudy's is perfect for me. Rudy's will let you try all their varieties of meat before you order as well. There's one in North Austin on 183.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin