Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 PM

4 posts, read 22,063 times

Advertisements

HI everyone!........Great Forum, I have read about many of the different communities in Round Rock. My wife and I are in the process of deciding where we want to start the next adventure in our lives, we have two children, 7 and 11. I was hoping someone could give us some detailed information about what communities in the city to stay away from and a few to further study. Schools are important, We plan on making a trip out in the next month to view in person. Like many others, we are getting out of CA and fast. Our range will be in the $350,000 to $400,000. Thanks in advance for all and any information, it will help us plan our trip and be more proactive in a tight time frame. Also, if not complicating the answers more, what about any other areas, such as Dripping Springs, Lakeway or maybe even Georgetown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
Well, give us a little bit more information...how close to downtown would you like to be, and what size house/# of bedrooms do you want for that price range, etc.?

You should be able to find something in that price range in nearly every area that you mention, but knowing what your lifestyle is like would help us all help you!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Here's the big question: Where will you be working? It's important (at least to me) to take commuting into consideration when looking for a place to live. Traffic is already BAD and there's no reason to contribute to it. Just my opinion of course.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
Well, give us a little bit more information...how close to downtown would you like to be, and what size house/# of bedrooms do you want for that price range, etc.?

You should be able to find something in that price range in nearly every area that you mention, but knowing what your lifestyle is like would help us all help you!
Well........I am currently looking for what my job opportunities are, I currently work in the travel industry, so more than likely I will be near the Airport. I know it is crazy, I do not even have a job lined up, may even open up my own business in town. I am hoping for a lighter commute time, my current office is 38 miles from my house, but in LA traffic it is 2 hours each way. In terms of lifestyle, I am concerned about what is considered the good area of town vs. bad. Not interested in older areas of town or areas and would like to find parts that cater to more of a family atmosphere. Schools will be the most important decision for us. From what I have read, the areas seem to be set up as a planned development, with community recreation, parks, pools, ect.....that is new to us. What area is currently under development? Close to shopping and Business? Size of over all property is not important, would like 4 bedrooms, 3 baths and so on, can get more for our money there for sure..... I am planning a trip out soon to explore the area in detail. I apologize for being vague, but the truth is, we are looking for a better quality of life, I have distant relatives I have spent time with in Vernon and traveled throughout the state. I understand the summer heat and weather, willing to adapt as needed. Thought about many different areas of the country to make this big move and have set our minds on this area. Any information as open ended as it may be, will help us look into schools, job opportunities or business ideas and better plan for our trip since we will only have a few days to start, but that will only be the first of many trips before final moving plans are made.

Thanks for everything and everyone that can help!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
The north side of town (RR, Pfulgerville) is currently a pretty long commute to the airport. The new toll road may help, may not. Mind you, it won't be two hours! However, it could easily be an hour plus.

As far as I read your requirements:
- relatively new home
- big lot not needed
- close to shopping
- close to parks

RR/PV definitely fill the bill, but again, you are kind of maximizing your commute (NW austin - Cedar Park, Leander, would be longer). You might want to look in SW Austin - LEgend Oaks and the Villages of Legend oaks, Western Oaks. They are somewhat closer to the airport, and the schools are very good.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM

Been doing more research....any information on the Teravista Community?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
That's a pretty nice community east of I-35 in RR. It's pretty far north so you would be spending a lot of time on I-35 to get to airport (if you've read this forum at all, everyone will tell you to avoid I-35 at all possible costs!). They have about 5 or 6 homebuilders in Teravista and a golf course and amenity center. It's less than 10 minutes from the RR outlets and the new IKEA, if that's important to you. I think you wouldn't have too much problem finding houses in your price range.

There's a good chance that right near there, off the 1431, they will be building a huge water park complex that would be a major tourist destination, I'd think. Depending on your perspective that could be a good or bad thing .

Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
My neighbor has family in that development and they love it. She wishes she bought there. Heard nothing but good things - however, yes, your commute will be longer.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:03 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times
Terra Vista is nice once you get into the neighborhood, but it's going to be construction hell for a long time to come if the planned developments are anything to go by. Check ImpactNews dot com to see what's in store.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
You could say that with most of Round Rock though. The whole area is under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin