Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtp0000 View Post
What! Ive never heard of having to do a line-up for a hit and run! Cardiff & Austin did they even inspect the cars for damages? I would think that even if you couldnt identify the person, but they had damages consistent with the accident they would write a report and give you theri info so you can pursue a claim in small claims court.
Well, at least since you know her name and where she works... I'd be looking into a Westwood yearbook or something or watch for her in the parking lot so you can make sure you are GOOD AND READY in case you have to pick her out of a lineup.

It's a good thing you are hearing about the lineup now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
What! Ive never heard of having to do a line-up for a hit and run! Cardiff & Austin did they even inspect the cars for damages?
Well, it wasn't a lineup like you see on TV; it was a "photo lineup" and they used drivers lic pictures from the DPS. Who knows how old these pics were. The lady that hit me looked nothing at all like the picture that the officer showed me. And yeah, the officer came outside to inspect my car.

I thought about pursuing it in small claims court but I had wasted enough time and decided it wasn't worth it. To be honest, the damage to my car was minimal. The plastic bumper cover has a scrape in it that is barely noticeable. I was able to clean her paint from my rim. I was just EXTREMELY angry that she didn't stop. I know how you feel.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:31 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom2Boys View Post
I feel for you! My husband's car was backed into in a downtown parking garage while we were sitting in the car. We were able to get the license plate number, make, and model of the truck that did it. After waiting over an hour for APD to show up, the cops told us that nothing could be done unless we could pick the driver out of a lineup. (They seemed just as frustrated about that as we were!)
Wow, this just seems ridiculous. It happens so fast. 9 times of 10 you cannot see the person as they speed off. Really disappointed about this here in Austin.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Well, it wasn't a lineup like you see on TV; it was a "photo lineup" and they used drivers lic pictures from the DPS. Who knows how old these pics were. The lady that hit me looked nothing at all like the picture that the officer showed me. And yeah, the officer came outside to inspect my car.

I thought about pursuing it in small claims court but I had wasted enough time and decided it wasn't worth it. To be honest, the damage to my car was minimal. The plastic bumper cover has a scrape in it that is barely noticeable. I was able to clean her paint from my rim. I was just EXTREMELY angry that she didn't stop. I know how you feel.
Ah, see I get vindictive when it comes to idiots breaking the law and thinking they will get away with it. Honestly, you hit me, I will be nice and respectful and we will work it out like adults. You try to run, lie, or screw me over, I will take you to court, waste my time and money to see you get busted. This happened to me in San Diego. I was turning right into my drive way on a ONE lane ONE way street. A little Honda CRX tried to pass me on the right and tboned my truck. Hit me straight in the wheel and shattered the suspension on my truck. The driver was uninsured and so was the car. I had a lot of witnesses too. Anyways, we tried to work it out with the owner of the car and she told me to f' off at our arbitration hearing. She had lent her uninsured car to her uninsured boyfriend so we sued her. So, we went to court where she lost. Then she filed an appeal and was late to the appeal and the judge awarded in my favor again and more money for wasting my time. Well, she has never paid, but I have had her license suspended for 4 years now. I can keep filing a renewal until she pays me. At this point, I just like knowing that if she gets pulled over driving with a suspended license she goes to jail.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:10 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Ah, see I get vindictive when it comes to idiots breaking the law and thinking they will get away with it. Honestly, you hit me, I will be nice and respectful and we will work it out like adults. You try to run, lie, or screw me over, I will take you to court, waste my time and money to see you get busted. This happened to me in San Diego. I was turning right into my drive way on a ONE lane ONE way street. A little Honda CRX tried to pass me on the right and tboned my truck. Hit me straight in the wheel and shattered the suspension on my truck. The driver was uninsured and so was the car. I had a lot of witnesses too. Anyways, we tried to work it out with the owner of the car and she told me to f' off at our arbitration hearing. She had lent her uninsured car to her uninsured boyfriend so we sued her. So, we went to court where she lost. Then she filed an appeal and was late to the appeal and the judge awarded in my favor again and more money for wasting my time. Well, she has never paid, but I have had her license suspended for 4 years now. I can keep filing a renewal until she pays me. At this point, I just like knowing that if she gets pulled over driving with a suspended license she goes to jail.
If you have a judgment against her can't you have her wages garnished?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Yes and I also can put a lien against anything she owns. Technically its my dads judgment since he owned the truck and I was at college. He lives 5 hours away and just hasn't gotten to get down to SD to do a hearing for discovery, ect.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
It is amazing that people are that dumb!

She will probably be surprised when they haul her off to jail.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:24 AM

98 posts, read 220,457 times
Quote:
They should tow cars of people without insurance, they are violating the law it seems crazy to let them back on the road after the police are made aware of it.

Dont' get me started about breaking the law, but it is in every facet of our country...Illegal aliens, politicians, law makers, etc..etc...

If every law broken right now in our country were enforced to the letter of the law, then 85% of the country would be in jail, or deported, or God only knows what...

She should have to pay for her negligence, and I hope she does, I just wouldn't hold my breath...

And good shall become evil, and evil good...gee, where have I heard that before?

**hopps off soapbox...

Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 PM

59 posts, read 173,404 times
Shaxs I would keep getting her licence suspended, at least there is actually some punishment and hpoefully its kept her from getting a job or two when they pull up her driving record because im sure it hasnt stopped her from driving!

The lady's ins adjuster called me and said the lady has a policy and doesnt know why she would lie, but she isnt calling back the adjuster to tell her what happened so they cant reach a liability decision b/c the police report isnt ready either and they cant verify what happened. Whatever its Thanksgiving and Im just thankful I wasnt horribly hurt in the accident, it could have been much worse.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM

98 posts, read 220,457 times
Quote:
Whatever its Thanksgiving and Im just thankful I wasnt horribly hurt in the accident, it could have been much worse.
you can deal with it after Turkey Day...At least you have the info on her now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin