Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 AM

13 posts, read 53,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rridgeback View Post
Just FYI, the commuter rail won't have a stop anywhere near Camp Mabry. There will be a stop near Avery Ranch - about 3 miles or so. But it's unlikely to take you anywhere you'll want to go very often. The realtor seems to be steering you to new neighborhoods. For the sake of your investment and quality of life, I'd encourage you to look at well-established neighborhoods that don't have home builders still building and developers in control of the HOA. If you provide a price range I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.
Thanks soooooo much for all of your help. Our price range is between 165-185K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 AM

[SIZE=3]Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions. Austinnitegirl, your information about the commute is priceless. I have a little girl and the thought of dropping her off at daycare so I can commute to work for over an hour was breaking my heart. I can totally handle a 30 minute commute. I am looking at a house in Turtle Creek. But I heard that the demographics in that neighborhood have taken a spiral turn downward. That wasn’t a racist comment. I do not want to offend anyone but what I mean is that since the houses are priced low and have extra sq ft then multi families are moving into the neighborhood which clutter the streets with extra cars parked in front of the houses. I like Avery Ranch because the HAO will prevent that from happening. Any thoughts? [/SIZE]

Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM

[SIZE=3]Thank you to everyone for your advice and suggestions. Austinnitegirl, your information about the commute is priceless. I have a little girl and the thought of dropping her off at daycare so I can commute to work for over an hour was breaking my heart. I can totally handle a 30 minute commute. I am looking at a house in Turtle Creek. But I heard that the demographics in that neighborhood have taken a spiral turn downward. That wasn’t a racist comment. I do not want to offend anyone but what I mean is that since the houses are priced low and have extra sq ft then multi families are moving into the neighborhood which clutter the streets with extra cars parked in front of the houses. I like Avery Ranch because the HAO will prevent that from happening. Any thoughts? [/SIZE]

Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM

49 posts, read 159,333 times
I would encourage you to look at the Blackhawk/Falcon Point area in Pflugerville also. With the tolls roads open, the commute time is not bad at all. I have a friend in Avery Ranch and traveling 35 each day does wear her down.

You can definitely get into a house in your price range here, and the schools are good (Recognized) and the neighborhoods have all the amenities. I know on Austin Real Estate | AustinHomeSearch | Austin Realtors | Austin TX Real Estate you can type in Blackhawk (or any other neighborhood name) and do a search to see if the houses fit you! Good luck!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 PM

28 posts, read 133,063 times
Hi ConnerFamily,

My name is Shane Rives. I am an agent with Nationwide insurance. I am happy to report that I have clients that live in both communities and they are equally great. Just an FYI - Insurance rates are going to be more in Pflugerville and taxes are typcially higher in Pflugerville (travis county) than they are in cedar park (williamson county).

If you decide on the pflugerville area, I would suggest Star Ranch by Wilshire Homes. It is a new home community just up from highland park and accross from falcon point, but just happens to land in williamson county (a little less insurance cost). John Gard is the consultant for that community (Moderator cut: email address. If you would like a referal for a realtor or two that could provide you more detail, just let me know as I have several contacts in the area. Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-10-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: No email addresses are to be posted and soliciting is not permitted per ToS

Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 20,342 times
I looked at Star Ranch and an FYI- the school zones there are very odd. Some are Pflugerville, some Hutto and some RR. I would not want that in my neighborhood.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny View Post
I looked at Star Ranch and an FYI- the school zones there are very odd. Some are Pflugerville, some Hutto and some RR. I would not want that in my neighborhood.
That's only because that subdivision straddles county/ISD lines.
Nothing wrong with that though; just make sure you know what you are buying.

I think there's sections of Forest Creek that also may be divided between Pflugerville and Round Rock ISD's as well.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM

thank you rridgeback! Can you suggest any neighborhoods that are in the price range of $150 - $175K. I'm starting to think that Pflugerville would be a better place to purchase a house simply because it appears that I would get more house for the dollar.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post

I would NOT go for Highland Park. My husband and I looked at those houses several times. Honestly - they're overpriced for what you get. You can get a LOT more house in Pflugerville (in one of the neighborhoods I mentioned above) for the same price as the DR Horton homes. FYI - if you really do like those houses - there's another neighborhood of them in Round Rock off of Gattis School Road (I think it's called Turtle Creek) and another one in Cedar Park. But still the same problem - the house isn't much for what you pay and (in my humble opinion) they just look a little "cheap."

My husband and I looked at Avery Ranch when we were house shopping - they were out of our price range. They may advertise that they have houses for $150K, but I was never shown a house for under $200K when I visited. Then again, with the current shape of the economy, you may find a steal of a deal in Avery Ranch these days.
I live in Highland Park and will have to disagree with the person who said the houses are made with cheap materials. The DR Horton homes are very nice. Not to be confused with Highland Park North, which was built by a builder who pulled out of Austin (I think Capital Pacific). My boss lived in a Highland Park North home, and he said the materials in THOSE houses were cheap. I am very happy with DR Horton and Highland Park. It's very quiet, too.

I had considered Round Rock, Cedar Park, and Austin before deciding on Pflugerville and Highland Park. There are three tiers of homes in Highland Park--Villa, Classic, and Garden. You can get a good deal, too, if you know how to negotiate.

Last edited by eliteaviator; 05-22-2009 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 31,610 times
Pflugerville has a lot of nice qualities.

Good schools
Kid friendly
Nice parks and jogging trails
City government/services very responsive
Close to Austin, but not as weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin