Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 PM

93 posts, read 420,845 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am considering moving to Austin sometime in the next year. I currently live in Phoenix, AZ and I am sick of the dry, brown, hot and generic landscaping and lifestyle. Even though I live in Phoenix, I actually prefer Tucson, AZ. I like the somewhat smaller size of the area. I like the feel of the college town and I love the historic district. My questions are;
Does Austin have a laid back, informal, young feel to it like Tucson, or is it more just subdivisions and generic sprawl like Phoenix?
What are some different neighborhoods in Austin that would be good for a SWF to live in? The posts for apartments on Craigslist refer to Mopac, Wells Branch, Round Rock, ect...Where are these areas in relation to downtown and are they safe/nice areas? My ideal rent is a one bed apt under $800. I know that Austin is considered a college town, as is Tucson and I am really just looking for a fun, funky, laid back place to live. Somewhere that has diversity, natural beauty, and fun places to go out. I am not really into the club scene but I do enjoy going out to local bars and such. Also somewhere that unlike Phoenix, it is not all endless cookie cutter subdivisions, strip malls and chain restaurants and stores.

If I move to Austin, I will most likely have a job in F & B Management. I guess I am looking for someplace near popular restaurants, shopping and nightlife. That is safe, and I can find a place for under $800.

Lastly, I have also been looking into Houston area as well. The thing that turned me off from there is the BUGS!!! Do they really have tons of bugs and huge cockroaches there? Do you have them in Austin too Also, I realize both places are more humid than Phoenix, but how bad is it? Is it comparable to florida's humidity?

Thank you all for your advice and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 05:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,552,551 times
I don't know what you'll find downtown Austin for under $800. You'll likely have to look around the outskirts a bit. The towns surrounding Austin do tend to have cookie cutter homes, but they aren't just towns built up out of a cornfield. Many of the towns were here as long as Austin has been and have small downtown centers of their own and long histories. It's pretty green around here in the spring and summer, but it's browning up a little right now because it's getting colder and everything is going dormant. Austin and the surrounding areas are really quite safe, save for a few pockets here and there. Round Rock is a town North East of Austin. It's a good place to live but not quite what you seem to be describing you are looking for.

I've lived in Houston for many years before I lived here and there are bugs in both cities. Texas is the bug capital of the world, being so close to the warmer tropical climates of Mexico and South America. You can live relatively bug free in either city as long as you do regular exterminations.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

673 posts, read 2,707,508 times
Rachel, I've lived in both and love both. They both have some great qualities in general based around a major university and great weather. But they have different personalities. They also have different bugs. I've had tarantulas and scorpions in Tucson, cockroaches and termites in Austin. The humidity is higher in Austin, but seriously not bad compared to Tucson and definitely much better than Florida. Allergens in Austin are high, various and year round. But then again, I got Valley Fever in Tucson.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 PM

93 posts, read 420,845 times
Please keep the info coming. I know there are more former Arizonans out there. Thanks to everyone who replied!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin