Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,559,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I lost someone dear to me today and this is not my best day.

I think I speak for all on this forum! Sorry to hear that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,559,377 times
The wonderful thing about Austin is that there are so many great places to live. We have wonderful choices! North, East, South and West!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,204,406 times
Quote:

Back to the OP's original question: I think that people are either attracted to master planned communities with HOAs, entrance signs, sweeping streets or repelled by them. I have visited friends in Circle C and Steiner and I seriously nearly have a nervous breakdown! I think that these elements symbolize affluence, safety, security, and other positive things to many many people. But when I see a big development with an entrance sign, identical mailboxes, similar style homes, winding streets, oversize lots and garages, I have a visceral negative response. I know it is not rational.
I'm totally with you on that one. I (and my husband) literally had a physical reaction the few times we entered into a planned community. People are just different, I guess... and thank god for it. Also, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,511,725 times
In reference to an earlier post questioning diversity in the outer lying areas. I did find diversity in Circle C - of my son's playgroup of 12 families - 3 were from foreign countries - South Korea, Iceland and Spain. Go to the pool in Circle C on any given day in the summer and you will hear multiple foreign languages spoken fluently. I loved my time in Circle C and chose it for the reasons I mentioned but the reality is that $$ and quality of public schools were the driving factors for us in choosing it over Central Austin. Austin has a lot of great neighborhoods though...all with pros and cons. We were happy in cookie cutter Circle C and so were many of our friends that moved out of Central Austin to live there. So if you ever decide to leave Central Austin...it's a good place to check into.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
my condolences as well.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,188,164 times
Quote:
I have visited friends in Circle C and Steiner and I seriously nearly have a nervous breakdown! I think that these elements symbolize affluence, safety, security, and other positive things to many many people. But when I see a big development with an entrance sign, identical mailboxes, similar style homes, winding streets, oversize lots and garages, I have a visceral negative response. I know it is not rational.
Sorry to hear about your loss.
I am a suburbanite and like it. But, not all burbs are the same. My current neighborhood has the most important elements to me. TREES, paths for walkability, not too much visual clutter and very well kept properties. I also like the HOA pool since it is walking distance and provides social opportunities with neighbors.
I have a strong, negative reaction to brand new, no tree, recently plowed over cornfield sub-divisions. I'd go nuts waiting the 10+ years for trees to grow. AND so many people don't spend money to plant any so 10 years later many lots are still barren. The city sometimes triggers my claustrphobia. I need some room between homes and I like the wide winding streets. Really interesting to learn what makes y'all tick when choosing a place to buy.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,130,898 times
Well, I don't live in Austin but I've been looking into relocating to the area. I've been looking at areas like Round Rock because they are safe and offer a big bang for your buck in terms of what you get. I haven't found anything as cheap in Austin proper. The homes in round rock for $400k are huge....

Property taxes are also an issue. Taxes on even a $400k house get pretty outrageous.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM

412 posts, read 1,746,438 times
Quote:
First, thanks for all the kind response and lack of flaming to my admission of my strictly central austin life! (I lost someone dear to me today and this is not my best day).

I know that there are nice things "out there" and that I miss some of them because I'm not willing to drive 20 miles to them. But I can walk to great park, I can walk to the library. I can walk to SoCo, the Continental Club etc, restaurants. If I run out of coffee in the morning, a coffee shop is just 100 yards away. Downtown is only 5 minutes away. When my kids get bigger we will bike to Zilker, Trail of Lights, ACL Fest, Sandy's etc. I am content.

Back to the OP's original question: I think that people are either attracted to master planned communities with HOAs, entrance signs, sweeping streets or repelled by them. I have visited friends in Circle C and Steiner and I seriously nearly have a nervous breakdown! I think that these elements symbolize affluence, safety, security, and other positive things to many many people. But when I see a big development with an entrance sign, identical mailboxes, similar style homes, winding streets, oversize lots and garages, I have a visceral negative response. I know it is not rational.

I also know that many people see the streets of Bouldin, Zilker, Crestview, Travis Heights, Allandale, and think that they are cramped, small, dingy, crowded neighborhoods, while others (me) see vitality, diversity, creativity, along with interesting neighbors. I don't want to live where there isn't yard art! But many (great good interesting people) want to live where they can be sure that the neighbor won't put up a big funky statue.

Some people think great barbeque involves sauce, others know the sauce has nothing to do with it! What "feels" right to some people, "feels" wrong to others. I don't think that there is much logic to it. But Austin (and the world) has enough room for all of us.
I agree that is how I feel.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,408,673 times
If I chose to live closer to the city, I would at least choose an area like Mount Bonnell or Cat Mountain. Those houses at least have views and are plenty close enough to the city. Interesting though, if the economy tanks further, city house prices will dive drastically leaving all of us suburbanites to scoop them up in the future at bargain basement prices if we so choose.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
In Austin, there was not the big "bubble" that many other areas of the country experienced. Consequently, we don't have so far to fall. So there's been softening - sales are down over the same time last year - but prices are up. (Yeah, odd, I know, but there it is.) At the moment, there are areas in Austin where it's a seller's market, and some areas where it's both a buyer's and a seller's market, depending on your price point.

So don't count on getting houses in the city or elsewhere in the area for "bargain basement prices" unless things get so bad overall that you won't be able to sell the house you currently own in the suburbs, never mind buy one in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin