Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:45 PM

466 posts, read 1,057,865 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my husband and I with our dog Angel will move from Portland, OR to Austin, and I wonder if anybody know if there are German groceries in Austin? I know there is on in Colleyville, that is near Forth Worth, right (germandeli.com), but that is quite a way from Austin just to do some shopping.
I know there are a few "German" towns in the hill county, but what about Germans in Austin? I am German, my husband is American and our dog is from Labrador I read the threads about the German restaurants, but where can I gut Quark, German bread and Harzer cheese
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 04:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,831,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Hi there, my husband and I with our dog Angel will move from Portland, OR to Austin, and I wonder if anybody know if there are German groceries in Austin? I know there is on in Colleyville, that is near Forth Worth, right (germandeli.com), but that is quite a way from Austin just to do some shopping.
I know there are a few "German" towns in the hill county, but what about Germans in Austin? I am German, my husband is American and our dog is from Labrador I read the threads about the German restaurants, but where can I gut Quark, German bread and Harzer cheese
Thanks!

Hello,

I am german myself. I've been living in Texas for quite some time now.
I do not think you will find that cheese anywhere here. I also doubt you will find quark.
You should check out your local HEB. The do have a german aisle. There you will find imported goods directly from Germany. Here they have Pumpernickel bread.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,583,942 times
If you're ever visiting New Braunfels, you could try Naegelin's Bakery. It's German. They also have a website and you can order things that way. It would probably only take a day to get anything since it isn't that far away from Austin. You might be able to find some German sausages in Elgin and I think the Taylor Meat Co. in Taylor, Tx has different things in their meat market. West also has some bakeries/deli's I think. Maybe Fredericksburg too, but I'd shop online from there as it would be a bit of a drive just for shopping.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 PM

37 posts, read 114,184 times
if all else fails and there are no nearby German places for you, you can always go to germandeli.com. It's a bit pricey but worth it every once and awhile.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,740,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If you're ever visiting New Braunfels, you could try Naegelin's Bakery. It's German. They also have a website and you can order things that way. It would probably only take a day to get anything since it isn't that far away from Austin......
I agree that Naegelin's is worth a visit (as is New Braunfels).

Naegelin's Bakery

Also, Granzin's Meat Market in NB has many items that might be of interest. I do remember them having specialty meats, homemade "weiners" & cheeses.

(Note- Granzin's meat market is NOT the same location as Granzin's BBQ....but both are excellent.)

Granzin's Meat Market | http://granzinsmeatmarket.com

Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,831,154 times
Wondering if she found one? Hopefully she's gonna give us an update.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,012,570 times
They have a German grocers in San Antonio on Babcock Rd

Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM

466 posts, read 1,057,865 times
Hi, thanks everybody. I am so busy with packing, that I am not that often on the computer. Anyway, you all were a great help. I know germandeli.com, and I think too it is a bit pricey, and I like to look at the thinks I buy :-), so I will check out the places you mentioned.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 16,071 times
This was posted over a year ago, so I hope you're still on here. There is a German bakery and a German grocery in Harker Heights, about an hour north of Austin, east of Killeen (take 190 west from 35 north), both are south of 190. The German bakery is Pfeifer's, and the grocery is Marion's Kaufladen, Marion's Kaufladen, LLC German Grocery & Deli .

Pfeifer's German Bakery
716 Indian Trail
Harker Heights, TX 76548-5703
(254) 698-0211

Marion's Kaufladen
4200 E. Stan Schlueter Loop, Suite G
Killeen, Texas 76542
(254)699-4414

They both carry quark, although the quark I bought Christmas eve from Marion's is made in Washington State (it says German style, I believe). My German friend and I make the trek to HH a few times a year. I've also been to the German Deli in Colleyville, but I was in the area at the time.

Last edited by lemurtx; 01-14-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 01:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,098,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurtx View Post
This was posted over a year ago, so I hope you're still on here. There is a German bakery and a German grocery in Harker Heights, about an hour north of Austin, east of Killeen (take 190 west from 35 north), both are south of 190. The German bakery is Pfeifer's, and the grocery is Marion's Kaufladen, Marion's Kaufladen, LLC German Grocery & Deli .

Pfeifer's German Bakery
716 Indian Trail
Harker Heights, TX 76548-5703
(254) 698-0211

Marion's Kaufladen
4200 E. Stan Schlueter Loop, Suite G
Killeen, Texas 76542
(254)699-4414

They both carry quark, although the quark I bought Christmas eve from Marion's is made in Washington State (it says German style, I believe). My German friend and I make the trek to HH a few times a year. I've also been to the German Deli in Colleyville, but I was in the area at the time.
Do they carry german coldcuts as well? You might have made my wife very happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin