Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,041,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
For some reason I do not believe you. Round Rock is the more conservative part of Austin. But then again most lesbians look totally normal and blend in perfectly with society.
I know you're being sarcastic.

I'm from California, and the lesbians out here look like the ones out there.

They aren't trying to hide it - and neither am I.

Dating to me isn't all that important. I guess I'm just not that lonely (or hard up - for that matter!)...

Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,801,703 times
-I look for quality. I didn't see any quality gays worth dating in Austin. In all the times that I ventured throughout town I never saw a single gay or lesbian couple holding hands. Apparently dating is a thing of the past or is on the "down low".

-I am not flamboyant EG: Adam Lambert. I have no idea where you came up with that idea about me lol. Like I said I'm just easy going and progressive. I didn't encounter that vibe in Austin. Eg: Some random dude at a grocery store b/itched me out for returning a jar of jelly.....I thought he was going to pee in his pants, he was actually that irritated about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I didn't say that gay people in general can't get dates - given that many here (and many that I know in real life) have indicated that they are doing just fine in that regard, that's clearly not true - I said that you, yourself, said that you couldn't get a date in Austin because there's no gayborhood but gays are accepted into the community as a whole as normal people just like anyone else, something that several people on here have said that they are quite happy for (and have been working for for some time, come to that).

Your approach appears to be (and understand that I'm going strictly on what you post here) to be to insist that anyone who doesn't care for you, personally, must be prejudiced against gays, to be "flamboyant" to use a word that I believe I'm quoting accurately, which can put off people not because of your sexuality but because of the flamboyance in and of itself, to obsess about a city that you were not comfortable in to the point that, when you no longer live here (if you ever did), you frequent forums in order to badmouth it, and to tell differing stories about whatever time you might have spent here and your experiences here. Now, take all of that and, if it's your approach in real life, it might make people less than enthused about dating you/spending time with you in person.

Is that more clear? That it's possible that it's NOT the fact that you're gay, or the city, or the lack of a gayborhood, but the way you come across (and, based entirely on your postings here as I have absolutely nothing else to go on and for all we really know, you might be an 80 year old woman in Alaska in real life), that might be the reason you couldn't get a date here?

Last edited by artsyguy; 07-18-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 11:11 PM

Actually I'm not being sarcastic. Most lesbians I know look just like every day people

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I know you're being sarcastic.

I'm from California, and the lesbians out here look like the ones out there.

They aren't trying to hide it - and neither am I.

Dating to me isn't all that important. I guess I'm just not that lonely (or hard up - for that matter!)...

Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
-I look for quality. I didn't see any quality gays worth dating in Austin. In all the times that I ventured throughout town I never saw a single gay or lesbian couple holding hands. Apparently dating is a thing of the past or is on the "down low".

-I am not flamboyant EG: Adam Lambert. I have no idea where you came up with that idea about me lol. Like I said I'm just easy going and progressive. I didn't encounter that vibe in Austin. Eg: Some random dude at a grocery store b/itched me out for returning a jar of jelly.....I thought he was going to pee in his pants, he was actually that irritated about it
I got that impression because of something you said about yourself. Like I said, it's hard to keep all the stories you tell straight, but if I run across it, I'll bring it to your attention. I do remember clearly you used the word "flamboyant" as part of one of your diatribes about Austin not being open minded (though if Leslie's not flamboyant - and he's run for mayor and gotten votes - I don't quite know what would qualify) and gave the impression that that was something about yourself that you felt wasn't accepted.

Speaking of not being able to keep your stories straight, the original posts that I read by you said that you didn't like Austin and it wasn't gay friendly because there was no gayborhood and without a gayborhood, you couldn't get a date. I didn't much participate in that discusson because the other gay people who live in Austin were handling it quite nicely, pointing out that to them it was a plus that they weren't herded off into one area and were considered to be people just like everyone else, living in the community with everyone else and being judged just like everyone else, based on the kind of person and neighbor they are rather than exclusively on their sexuality, and that this was a GOOD thing. But you were all about how you couldn't get a date because of no gayborhood's in Austin and because people here were prejudiced against gays.

Now you're saying it was because you found the quality of the gays in Austin lacking. So, again, a contradiction or a changing story makes it hard to keep up.

What I'm pointing out is that it may have nothing to do with Austin, it may have nothing to do with you being gay, it may have to do with your individual approach (not just to people, but to life). For example, the comment that when you were here (in a city the size of Austin, with quite a large number of the population gay, for whatever time it was, whether it was working here or visiting your cousin or attending UT here, depending on which story you want to use this time), you didn't see any "quality gays worth dating". What kind of attitude towards people do you think that projects, and what do you think you would think of someone who clearly thought that about you and your city? Would that be someone you'd want to date?

Your story about the jar of jelly, in addition to lacking a lot of important details, seems to be a non sequitor.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Ha ha no I am nothing like Leslie. I think I was saying that flamboyant isn't too too common. Which is normal for Texas actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I got that impression because of something you said about yourself.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,978,984 times
Quote:
-I look for quality. I didn't see any quality gays worth dating in Austin.
How is "quality" defined? I'm curious, as a straight person, what makes one a "quality gay"? Would the list of characteristics be substantially different than that of straights?

For example, most women will say they want a guy who is funny, smart, decent looking and industrious (has earning capacity). Should this same guy, fitting that same description, turn out to be gay, what else would you need to know about him so that he can be deemed to meet your "quality" dating standards?

Quote:
In all the times that I ventured throughout town I never saw a single gay or lesbian couple holding hands. Apparently dating is a thing of the past or is on the "down low".
I don't pay must attention to this, but I don't think I see many straights holding hands either.

FYI - I was at a neighborhood party last night and the two gay guys (couple) were mixing and mingling with everyone with no effort. Our neighborhood has only 50 homes and I know at least two are owned by gay couples. Nobody (that I know of) thinks twice about it or acts weird around them. It's just really no big deal.

Steve

Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,917,510 times
artsyguy, your characterisation of Austin as lacking in "quality gays" is a gross insult to the many gay people in Austin generally, many of whom work in responsible, professional positions and lead serious but quiet lives. Really, your comment should hardly be dignified with any response at all. Why don't you just get over yourself!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Quality is somebody that isn't into drugs, alcohol, and casual sex. Pretty rare in a college town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
How is "quality" defined? I'm curious, as a straight person, what makes one a "quality gay"? Would the list of characteristics be substantially different than that of straights?

For example, most women will say they want a guy who is funny, smart, decent looking and industrious (has earning capacity). Should this same guy, fitting that same description, turn out to be gay, what else would you need to know about him so that he can be deemed to meet your "quality" dating standards?

I don't pay must attention to this, but I don't think I see many straights holding hands either.

FYI - I was at a neighborhood party last night and the two gay guys (couple) were mixing and mingling with everyone with no effort. Our neighborhood has only 50 homes and I know at least two are owned by gay couples. Nobody (that I know of) thinks twice about it or acts weird around them. It's just really no big deal.

Steve

Old 07-19-2009, 03:19 PM

So you know of two gay guys that were mixing and mingling. I mixed and mingled when I was in Austin without problems. I just didn't like it there. Something seemed very fishy and weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve

Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Interestingly, of all of the gay people I know in Austin, NONE of them are into those things, artsyguy - they pretty much more fit doctorjef's description, and Austin-Steve's. Where WERE you hanging out? Again, since all of the rest of us know gay people who don't fall into the category you're describing, and you say you weren't able to find ANY that weren't, one has to wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin