Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

No. I will not get over myself. I know what I saw was not quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
artsyguy, your characterisation of Austin as lacking in "quality gays" is a gross insult to the many gay people in Austin generally, many of whom work in responsible, professional positions and lead serious but quiet lives. Really, your comment should hardly be dignified with any response at all. Why don't you just get over yourself!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:25 PM

To be honest it sounds like you know really nice and responsible people. That is good for you. I wish I could have met all your very nice friends.

The majority of the people I met in Austin were recent transplants from other states. They were weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interestingly, of all of the gay people I know in Austin, NONE of them are into those things, artsyguy - they pretty much more fit doctorjef's description, and Austin-Steve's. Where WERE you hanging out? Again, since all of the rest of us know gay people who don't fall into the category you're describing, and you say you weren't able to find ANY that weren't, one has to wonder.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
We here know that Artsyguy draws out the worst in people. Even people who see him returning a jar of jelly. He makes it sound like this happened recently. But we also know he hasn't been in Austin for a long time.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Everyone knows I haven't been there in a long time.
I'm just engaging in discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
We here know that Artsyguy draws out the worst in people. Even people who see him returning a jar of jelly. He makes it sound like this happened recently. But we also know he hasn't been in Austin for a long time.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
I've been in Austin long enough to see that the gay population here has indeed declined noticeably. Goodness, there was a time you couldn't pass a street corner here without hitting somebody's rainbow.

Quote:
Dating to me isn't all that important. I guess I'm just not that lonely (or hard up - for that matter!)
There you have it. Austin guys aren't interested in serious dating or relationships. Even Dallas guys show more interest... I won't attempt to explain the irony there

Let's hear about the ones that are single, available, sober, and interested in dating one-on-one. Most of them have left the area, especially those in the 25-40 range.

Last edited by nomore07; 07-20-2009 at 12:06 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I don't know if the above is true or not, since I no longer live in Austin. However, early in the decade Austin got ranked as one of the best places for partnered gay and lesbian couples to live, so it is possible that this has long been the reality there, which personally is fine with me. My partner and I met in Austin, as did all the gay and lesbian couples I know there. So people were hooking up in Austin. Although Alex and I were quite young when we met, the majority of people I knew that were in relationships there had got together in their thirties or older. I expect Austin still is a really good place for settled gay couples and singles who aren't running about screwing their brains out to live. Fluffy bunny gays perhaps need to live in the Montrose or move to Chelsea.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,862 times
Default 63-yr-old GM retired in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I am considering the austin area to retire in, I am 57, Not sure if I want to plug that into the general forum, if I got someone that told me to stay in Oregon, I might tell him or her to stick it where the sun don't shine, but then that would be here oregon, so why bother. Anyway, would like to hear from people that could give me some info on other gay guys that have relocated to austin and what they think of it. Im not sure this is the right forum, this is probably all young people, and they would have another agenda, and who could blame them, I might just be blunt and actually place a forum that states. Are there any gay men that relocate to austin for retirement, and see if anyone answers. Thanks
Hey OREGONRAIN
Moving here is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I by accident found this forum, so I don't know how to discretely give you my email address so I can tell you more.
In any case, I like the freebies like excellent concerts at UT Music School as well as a pretty good cinema scene (Austin Film Society is awesome), etc, etc. But, best of all, I am blown away by the great friendships that have developed so quickly. Nope, I don't have a partner, but I never feel alone. There are many pretty places to live, but for me, it's the folks who really make the difference.
The big negative is the traffic, which is truly horrible, but I was just in Houston last weekend, and it's easily 1,000,000 times worse there. If you're into cool summers, this is certainly not the place, but I'm assuming you know that already.
By Texas standards, real estate is pretty expensive here, and the city is increasingly conservative. People move here a lot less for "the scene" and a lot more for jobs. Even so, it's a damn good place to be.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,862 times
Default Here ya go

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I am considering the austin area to retire in, I am 57, Not sure if I want to plug that into the general forum, if I got someone that told me to stay in Oregon, I might tell him or her to stick it where the sun don't shine, but then that would be here oregon, so why bother. Anyway, would like to hear from people that could give me some info on other gay guys that have relocated to austin and what they think of it. Im not sure this is the right forum, this is probably all young people, and they would have another agenda, and who could blame them, I might just be blunt and actually place a forum that states. Are there any gay men that relocate to austin for retirement, and see if anyone answers. Thanks
What the heck? My email is Moderator cut: please do not put private information such as phone # or email in a post. Use DM function for this.
Hope to hear from you.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-19-2010 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Cannot include personal contact info on post

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinAustin View Post
What the heck? My email is
Hope to hear from you.
Retiredinaustin, This thread is almost 4 years old, i don't think the OP is still checking.

Be careful giving out your email address. THere are a lot of weirdos on city-data. Some of them you don't want to be able to contact you. To respond to the OP, left click on his name, and send him a direct message. That will privately tell him your email..

Last edited by JayBrown80; 07-19-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Folks, can we please stay on topic and not discuss each other? If this continues I will have to close down the thread.
Thanks!

PS - do NOT include your personal contact info in your post. Send it via direct message (DM) please!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-21-2010 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: added ps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin