Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 04:45 PM

59 posts, read 239,516 times

Advertisements

I was speaking with my tax accountant, and he told me that current federal tax law allows either the deduction of State Income Tax (which Texas does not have) or Sales Tax on my federal forms. I built a custom home in 2008, and while I did not pay any sales tax on it directly, my builder indirectly paid a significant amount of taxes on almost all materials and services. The problem is that the builder receipts say "Turnkey", and do not break out the sales tax amount.

Is anyone aware of the homeowner taking sales tax credits for the purchase of a custom home? If so, how would one go about calculating it? I would probably assume the following formula:

Home Purchase Price - Land Value - Builder Profit * 6.5% (travis sales tax amount)

Also does anyone actually save all of their local receipts and submit them to their tax accountant? I think I am going to export all of my credit card statements, isolate local purchases, and break down between standard and gas purchases. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
I would not try to deduct the indirect costs of your builder's sales tax on the materials in your home! I would think that the IRS would take a dim view if you were audited.

My household tends to under-consume in comparison with our income so we usually come out ahead with the standard sales tax deduction. We only itemize if we bought a car or other very large purchase.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 PM

I'll let you know what my accountant says, but the way that I see it is that I hired my builder to make purchases on my behalf, and many of those purchases were taxable. I see this as a legitimate use of the tax code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I would not try to deduct the indirect costs of your builder's sales tax on the materials in your home! I would think that the IRS would take a dim view if you were audited.

My household tends to under-consume in comparison with our income so we usually come out ahead with the standard sales tax deduction. We only itemize if we bought a car or other very large purchase.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,097,748 times
Um good luck.... I'm not going there. When I sold my house they taxed me in the great state of Washington and I can't deduct that.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 PM

718 posts, read 2,353,092 times
We save every receipt for any and everything. We write off all the sales tax for everything we buy and did son in Tennessee before we moved to Texas. Since my husband is self employed, we need all the help we can get.

On another note, my mother passed away back in 2005 and everything we purchased to "improve" the house to sale, had the sales tax written off too.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM

I could see it (maybe) if you got a construction loan and paid your contractor with individual draws for items and thus you saw the invoices as you went and then paid your general contractor a percentage above real costs (usually 15-20%) AND you had all this spelled out in your contract with the bank and the contractor. ie a custom home built with cost plus financing. But you didn't do this did you?

You set a price and the contractor built it turnkey? Yes? Did you even finance the construction and take draws on the bank money? If the contractor made his bid to build your house and then built it to that price (even though the cost of supplies and labor may had varied, in other words, the contractor took the risk and may or may not have made any profit on the job, he managed all the purchases, invoices and paid the sales tax as part of his cost of business, then I don't think you have any claim to deducting that sales tax.

If you have a contract with the bank and the contractor that let you draw on a loan to pay for specific invoices (which of course you have the copies) and sales taxes on supplies is not addressed in the contractual language (I bet it is) then I'd give ya a qualified "maybe" but otherwise I'd think you are out of luck.

Let me know what a tax attorney says.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM

When I signed a deal with my custom builder, I had the arrangement where there was a predefined profit amount, 15 - 20 draws for the construction loan, and where I have access to actual invoices/costs. It's a cost plus arrangement.

The turnkey packages are how the builders subcontractors package their services, and not reflective of the contract that I signed with the builder.

My Tax Guy said the following: "your contractor is considered your agent in the construction of the home or substantial addition or the performance of a major renovation. The contract must state that the contractor is authorized to act in your name and must follow your directions on construction decisions. In this case, you will be considered to have purchased any items subject to a sales tax and to have paid the sales tax directly."

In the mean time, I'm analyzing all of my local purchases with sales tax for deductions there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I could see it (maybe) if you got a construction loan and paid your contractor with individual draws for items and thus you saw the invoices as you went and then paid your general contractor a percentage above real costs (usually 15-20%) AND you had all this spelled out in your contract with the bank and the contractor. ie a custom home built with cost plus financing. But you didn't do this did you?

You set a price and the contractor built it turnkey? Yes? Did you even finance the construction and take draws on the bank money? If the contractor made his bid to build your house and then built it to that price (even though the cost of supplies and labor may had varied, in other words, the contractor took the risk and may or may not have made any profit on the job, he managed all the purchases, invoices and paid the sales tax as part of his cost of business, then I don't think you have any claim to deducting that sales tax.

If you have a contract with the bank and the contractor that let you draw on a loan to pay for specific invoices (which of course you have the copies) and sales taxes on supplies is not addressed in the contractual language (I bet it is) then I'd give ya a qualified "maybe" but otherwise I'd think you are out of luck.

Let me know what a tax attorney says.

Last edited by SurferDude; 12-10-2008 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Yes, if you did cost plus and saw the invoices then I can see taking the deduction.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Actually, I don't think you pay a 'sales tax' on a house, so although the builder could possibly deduct the sales tax, I am pretty sure you can't.

A co-worker of mine kept all their receipts (actually, his wife did ) for several years now, and they apparently come well ahead of the standard allowance....and they are pretty frugal people. You can take the standard deduction and add large-bill items to that (such as cars, not sure what else).

Old 02-25-2009, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
Surfer Dude, What did you do. I'm in the same situation in San Antonio. Started building last year. I have some receipts but not all. So I can speak intelligently to my bulder what did you ask for. Thanks so much!
L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: