U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 PM

17 posts, read 57,496 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am a 25 year old single male that will be making the move to Austin sometime in January. I currently live in North Carolina as a salesman and will be taking a new and possibly more profitable territory in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas.

About me: I love doing outdoor activities such as mountain biking, jogging, and swimming/water sports. I enjoy night life, just not the college drinking your face off crowd... I like to hang around other professionals with a bit more maturity.

Here is my question: What would you recommend as a good area to rent an apartment, close to a lot of things to do and possibly within walking/bike riding distance to downtown or other nightlife? My budget is approximately 800 to 1000 a month. I would like to live in a decently nice place, community gym and pool are not required but nice. I would also like a place with a nice view.

Thanks in advance and I will be checking back here frequently for your input.

-dan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:16 PM

38 posts, read 96,284 times
Default Austin

Hey,

I would check out NW Austin and areas around Cedar park, Round Rock or South austin. I used to live in Austin and now I am in Raleigh! if you have anyother questions..let me know.

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcurrin View Post
Hello All, I am a 25 year old single male that will be making the move to Austin sometime in January. I currently live in North Carolina as a salesman and will be taking a new and possibly more profitable territory in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas.

About me: I love doing outdoor activities such as mountain biking, jogging, and swimming/water sports. I enjoy night life, just not the college drinking your face off crowd... I like to hang around other professionals with a bit more maturity.

Here is my question: What would you recommend as a good area to rent an apartment, close to a lot of things to do and possibly within walking/bike riding distance to downtown or other nightlife? My budget is approximately 800 to 1000 a month. I would like to live in a decently nice place, community gym and pool are not required but nice. I would also like a place with a nice view.

Thanks in advance and I will be checking back here frequently for your input.

-dan

Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 PM

45 posts, read 234,908 times
Not many easy ways to walk or bike into downtown, but there's nightlife in the suburbs too.
If you want to be close to the action, live downtown. Good views can be found all around, but up north we're elevated and anywhere to the west is extremely scenic.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 AM

98 posts, read 199,958 times
Hey, I am in NC moving to Austin in Jan as well...I see there is another smart person getting out of this weird state! LOL...
You'll love Texas...I would suggest looking at Parmer Lane, lots of Apts in your price range, nice area imho...
Good Luck

Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 AM

20,816 posts, read 40,181,774 times
I'd recommend that you look at close in South Austin, between the river and Ben White, central. You could bike or hike (depending on where) to the greenbelt and Zilker Park. There are also some apartments/condos for lease right now that meet your requirements north of the river and west of downtown (Blanco, Pease, Enfield, Blanco, West 6th), and even one right downtown.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:18 AM

4,608 posts, read 7,584,590 times
Here's some info to help you get started.... but first, send off now for your guide to things and places Texas...Travel Texas Guide. It's FREE ! ! !

Some helpful links...
Texas Department of Transportation
Vehicle Requirements for New Residents
Texas Secretary of State

Downtownmap Austin
City of Austin - Austin Parks and Recreation Department: Park Directory

Info on Austin entertainment...
6th Street Austin
Austin Music Hall
Austin 360: Where Austin, Texas, lives on the Web

Apartments...
Austin Apartments | Better Way to Search Apartments in Austin Texas For Rent

Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM

7,234 posts, read 14,014,111 times
Yes look at south central austin, just across the lake from downtown. Travis Heights, Bouldin, Zilker, and Barton Hills neighborhoods. South first street and south lamar.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin