Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,621 times

Advertisements

I need to buy blinds for my new home. Was looking at blinds.com but because we live in TX they charge tax :-( I may still go with them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming all the people coming to my door will overcharge me.

Was looking at Lowes and they have the levelor blinds and basic blindz brand. The basic blinds brand was 2/3 the cost of levelor. Has anyone used them?

We also have issues because we have some tall 83" windows so the double wide windows don't seem doable with a single blind because of the length. The biggest levelor is 72" x 72" I need 71" x 82.5"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 06:43 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times
JC Penney carries all the name brand custom blinds. They run specials occasionally with 60% off standard price. They are still expensive, but if you can catch them during one of their sales, they are the best deal around. I need some wooden blinds for my dining room and looked at the ones at Lowes but decided to hold out for a Penney's sale. I'll be interested if anyone else has experience with the cheaper ones at Lowes.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:02 PM

I looked online at penny's and they say it can't be done for a window that is 71" wide x 82.5" tall. Maybe I can put two inside mount 35" blinds for the center window of the bay window.

the window looks like:
[]|[][]|[]

each [] = 35"wide x 82.5" tall

Old 12-25-2008, 10:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
I went Lowes and got the guy to come out and measure and then they cut and then he came back. Turns out they were contracted with a local blind shop here anyway. It was a pretty good deal. We got the Levelor and could not be happier. The mgr of the window covering dept. said that she had started to see people that got the basic cheaper blinds not the Levelor ones after a couple of years of hot south texas sun, starting to have problems with them. Ask them about that window and see what the think. We have a super long 3 feet by about 6 inch window over the tub that they built so someone could see in.(why I dont know) but they came up with a solution that I was happy with
Good luck and welcome to Cedar Park (I am in Leander)

Old 12-25-2008, 12:42 PM

44 posts, read 270,547 times
Neddy- Did you order blinds from Lowe's for the bathroom windows--we have 2 bathrooms with the exact same window above the tub.

We also have a glass block window over the master tub--does one usually install blinds or drapes over these?

We also went with Lowe's, but we measured ourselves and mounted them ourselves- 16 windows all different widths and heights paid around 2500.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:06 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
Andream, we got some funky blind cut for the window over the tub,if there is a shower involve I might not do blinds but its only a tub so blinds now days they also have "tinting" for those weird windows that might work and are the glass block the clear or frosted type? Most glass block windows I have seen dont have blinds or anything since they distort the view from the outside.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I need to buy blinds for my new home. Was looking at blinds.com but because we live in TX they charge tax :-( I may still go with them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming all the people coming to my door will overcharge me.

Was looking at Lowes and they have the levelor blinds and basic blindz brand. The basic blinds brand was 2/3 the cost of levelor. Has anyone used them?

We also have issues because we have some tall 83" windows so the double wide windows don't seem doable with a single blind because of the length. The biggest levelor is 72" x 72" I need 71" x 82.5"....
Ive used blindsonline.com

Old 12-26-2008, 12:08 PM

We ended up going with selectblinds.com for the long windows downstairs. Penney's had blinds on door buster this morning so I picked up those at 6am this morning. They had testimonials from the people at extreme home makeover. (not that means anything other than they probably aren't a fly by night co.)

I'll report back on the experience with selectblinds

Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,693 times
So this weather just won't quit!!! Friday, 12/26 was a great night to see the light show at Southpark Meadows. 76F at 8PM. Shorts and T-shirts, for the kids even. But, a little bit of cold weather won't hurt either, I hate bringing the jacket out of storage for nothin'

Old 12-27-2008, 10:01 PM

56 posts, read 234,353 times
I've had good luck with No Brainer Blinds: www.nobrainerblinds.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin