Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 05:19 PM

176 posts, read 541,705 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am looking for information about towns east of Austin which are not dogmatically Christian (I am Jewish (with an emphasis on the ish) and my husband is Agnostic. I don't want my son to think his parents are Hell-bound.
I am also hoping for good elementary schools, trees, and an older downtown area. Not just cookie-cutter beige mazes.
A few coffee shops and independent stores would be good too.
Thank you for any imput!
I would love to be in Austin proper, but we will be working closer to the College Station area, and I just can't swing that far a commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Georgetown, Salado, Taylor, Thrall, Rockdale, Bryan/College Station, Smithville, LaGrange, Brenham, Giddings, and there's one other town near Giddings and just now I forget the name. Some other towns that wouldn't be too bad of a drive but may not have all you are looking for...Elgin, Lexington, Bastrop, McDade

Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
Hi there! I am looking for information about towns east of Austin which are not dogmatically Christian (I am Jewish (with an emphasis on the ish) and my husband is Agnostic. I don't want my son to think his parents are Hell-bound.
I am also hoping for good elementary schools, trees, and an older downtown area. Not just cookie-cutter beige mazes.
A few coffee shops and independent stores would be good too.
Thank you for any imput!
I would love to be in Austin proper, but we will be working closer to the College Station area, and I just can't swing that far a commute.
What town will you be working in?

The whole swath of Texas between Austin & Bryan is pretty conservative. But you might find most of what you're looking for in a county seat in that area. (of which there are many).

Cool towns that I've passed thru would include Caldwell, La Grange & possibly Smithville, Brenham & Giddings. All are older towns with a downtown & are somewhat historic.

I've also have always liked the little towns of Fayetteville & Round Top (near La Grange), but they are very small. But since quite a few urban folks are moving to these little towns, there might not be quite the "bubba" vibe as in the past.

Here's a map that shows the school scores which might be helpful. Keep in mind that small towns will never have the "superlative" scores that upper class urban/suburban areas have...because EVERYONE in town (from all socio-economic groups) attends. Which could be a good or not so good thing depending on one's perspective.

Texas School Performance Maps

Depending on where you work, you might also consider Montgomery...which is closer to Houston.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Bryan/College Station and Brenham are both College towns, which also means they wouldn't be totally conservative. B/CS has A&M and Brenham has Blinn. One of my Uncles just moved from Houston to Brenham, speaking of Urban folks moving to those little towns. Tomball is a nice little town also, closer to Houston though, and may be too conservative. But, being so close to Houston maybe it's gotten a little less so with all its recent growth. Georgetown also is a College town. I think it's SouthWestern or something that's there. It's a really nice campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin