Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 AM

178 posts, read 458,780 times

Advertisements

Where are the old pictures? Surely there must be some. Scan them and post them. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 AM

4 posts, read 10,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I found these on a vintage postcard site and thought I'd share:

Villa Capri Hotel
AustinPostcard.com - Villa Capri Motor Hotel

Old Seton Hospital:
AustinPostcard.com - Seton Infirmary, Austin, Texas

Brackenridge Hospital
AustinPostcard.com - Brackenridge Hospital - A modern Fireproof Institution with 220 Beds - Austin, Texas

I remember when that was the Seton hospital in town. It's been torn down, but was off Guadalupe near UT. Brackenridge was in the same place as today, I think.
I was born in Brackenridge when it looked exactly like this picture

Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Hell yes. They had a Mexican chicken fried steak that was awesome and awesomely bad for you. Basically a chicken fried steak drenched in a spicy hot sauce with melted cheese and onions on top. I wonder why no other place has ever picked up this little taste of heaven for their menu.
They have one pretty similar at Matt's. I LOVE Matt's - really don't get the hipster enamoration with Polvo's, when Matt's is so much better. Must be that Matt's is beyond scooter range from East Austin.

For all you, like me, who miss Lakeside Cafe, word is that owner Craig Gatewood is soon to open another place here in Austin.

Also liked the Jazz on the Lake when it was Louie's on the Lake, and later when it was Westbank Fish Camp.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,971 times
Default Gone but not forgotten

Actually, it was Jack Morton's not Morton's. And Diny, Nancy and Trudy are the daughter's of Morton. Jack's children are Elissa and Larry. Sheila Plotsky was the Realtor.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elissa plotsky View Post
Actually, it was Jack Morton's not Morton's. And Diny, Nancy and Trudy are the daughter's of Morton. Jack's children are Elissa and Larry. Sheila Plotsky was the Realtor.
This has to be a record! You dropped in to correct a nearly 5 year old post!
Thanks for setting the record straight!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM

221 posts, read 203,899 times
Wow just found and read this thread. Brings back a ton of good memories.
Miss the old 'moon light every night' towers around central part of Austin. One may remain in Zilker where the Christmas Tree of lights used to be each holiday season.
Used to see the 13th Floor Elevators at an old place just off I35 around 7th street, cannot remember the name.
'64- 65' Dancing at Charley's Play House located south of 19th and east of I35 in a mostly African American area at that time.
Drag racing on Rundburg (sp) lane when it was still a private ranch with cattle and cattle guards across the road.
Water skiing on Lake Austin, and not seeing another boat.
Swimming at LAI (Lake Austin Inn or Lodge) not far down stream from Mansfield dam. Had a big tree with a swing out over the cold water.
2222, was one of the best 'driver' roads anywhere. Only 2 side entrances after leaving town until 620, Bull Creek and City Park. Many times on that road on fast bikes (for the day) and not see another car, friends had 750 Hondas I ran a 750 H2 Triple Kaw).

And hippie chicks, oh yes those beautiful…..

And all the other places, feelings and unpretentious times lost from the early 60's to 70's.

Austin is a great place now, but in a very different way, eats, festivals, music, big city. But what is missing is this. Any where we went, north, central, or south we would see friends from that area. This was very common at the Holiday House in each area. You just knew lots of people from all parts of Austin that were great to hang out with, and no one cared what part of Austin you were from. None of the hipster, Gen. X, etc. you have now.
I guess just 'a simpler time'.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
This has to be a record! You dropped in to correct a nearly 5 year old post!
Thanks for setting the record straight!
I am glad she did, I was thinking, but could not remember why the original post did not seem correct.

Of course, don't think your post added anything of value to the thread, but thats ok.

Last edited by Ole Texan; 01-05-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 10:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Texan View Post

Of course, don't think your post added anything of value to the thread, but thats ok.
Im sure your ONE post each month is copied and printed by everyone...since I'm sure each and every one of them 'added anything of value'.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Well Ole Texan, you are a contemporary of mine - did most all the same things except for the 2 wheeler (I zipped along 2222 in my 1960 MGA Roadster).

However, I was not born here - am one of those early carpetbaggers real Austinites complained about in the mid '60s - my dad retired from the Army & moved us here in 1959. We had been stationed at Fort Sam 1947-48, then Camp Hood in '49. My oldest brother transferred to UT in '57 from St. Louis University.

I miss the Holiday House #5 Flameburger, the little Hamburger Bar a block or two south of the Drag & 19th Street (just behind the Ambassador Apartments), and Hand's speed shop on Barton Springs Road.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Im sure your ONE post each month is copied and printed by everyone...since I'm sure each and every one of them 'added anything of value'.
Thanks, I am glad you appreciate my few pearls of wisdom. I try to contribute to the threads and not just make unrelated comments, as some do. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin