U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:34 AM

192 posts, read 538,760 times

Advertisements

Here's some interesting pictures of the '81 flood.

For the recently arrived, you may notice that our state has a lot of issues with spring rains. We get a lot of our rain in May and June, and then not much the rest of the year.

In 1981, it started raining at the end of May, and rained pretty much every day for over a month. It was really awful.

City of Austin - More 1981 Flood Photos

I remember hearing a story of a girl at Lanier who showed up to take her finals and was just a mess. It turns out her mother had been one of the people who had died, so they sent her home to grieve. It could just be a rumor, and if that girl is here, I apologize.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 AM

192 posts, read 538,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
My favorite Les Amis dish was the hot bagel sandwich with tomatoes, ham, and swiss cheese. I think it was called the Yardley Bardley. Had that for lunch my first day of class at UT. In...yikes...1976.

Two of my favorite places to eat back then were Holiday House (for the hickory sauce double-burger) and Nothing Strikes Back (the iconic but long-gone psychedelic ice cream parlor).

For a nice weekend meal out, my parents would put me in the car and head over to the Villa Capri for a bacon wrapped filet. The grill was in a little gazebo area in the middle of the dining room. Our other weekend destination was Christie's seafood on Town Lake. The Villa Capri closed before I left town in 1979; I'm not sure when Christie's closed. Packer Jack gave the Villa Capri a plug on TV every weekday on the Uncle Jay Show, which was an afternoon cartoon show in the 1960's. I was too young to appreciate Jack's contribution to the Cac and Jack radio show.

I didn't see much of Austin from 1985 to 2003. What ever happened to Garner and Smith bookstore? And when did Inner Sanctum Records close?
I remember all three of those! Every Holiday House had some interesting thing about it...big tropical fish or something. The one on Airport had some sort of thing in a pen out front...a big lizard or something? It's been awhile! I liked their hickory burger too, but I got the abbreviated youngster version.

And my parents used to go to Christie's. Was that on Riverside right near South First? Or was the Pelican's Wharf?

And I remember the Villa Capri...I'm trying to remember where it was. Refresh my memory! Before it was "the bottom deck" of I-35 near Concordia, maybe?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM

492 posts, read 1,980,161 times
Villa Capri was tucked under I-35 at the LJB Library. Visiting researchers liked to stay there because they could just walk over to the archives.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 AM

20,779 posts, read 39,655,662 times
The original Academy Surplus, as far as I know, was on IH35 just across from Hancock Shopping Center. Used to shop there often.

Whole Earth Provision did have a location in Brodie Oaks (the shopping center for all of us middle-aged hippies - you could get your neat hippie-type stuff and shop at Whole Foods right there in the part closest to Lamar, then sneak around the corner to the "other" part of the shopping center where you could get toys for your kids at Toys R Us and there was a Mervyns for "work clothes" and such - brilliant planning, I thought at the time). That location has moved down south a bit just across Ben White to share a shopping center with Central Market. (I remember when that was a pretty run down mall, rather than the upscale strip center it is now - but that wasn't really all that long ago, only 15 years or so.)

I remember the Memorial Day Flood in which many died, and the pavement on our street was peeled right up.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,252,102 times
Liberty Lunch. One of the best indie venues ever. Saw Fugazi there for $5 in '93.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:28 AM

I remember seeing Cowboy Junkies at Liberty Lunch. Was heartbroken when it closed for yet another high rise (having deja vu all over again here with the Las Manitas fiaco).

Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM

8,240 posts, read 15,708,767 times
The Ramones at the old, real Palmer...1978/9?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 AM

G&M Steakhouse on the drag.

Sid's on Lamar.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 PM

140 posts, read 303,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
G&M Steakhouse on the drag.
G&M Steakhouse on the drag was mighty fine, and the Nighthawk across the street was, too.

Yes, Academy Surplus was accross I-35 from Hancock shopping center---the old stroll-worthy Hancock, before it was converted into a strip mall. I used to go visit the monkey in the pet dept at---was it Newberry's or Murphy's---at the Red River end of Hancock center?

And don't get me started on how they changed the holes at Hancock golf course. They took out the 120yd par 3 (the old #2) along East 38th and broke up the grand old 600yd par 5 (then #8) that went halfway along the 38th street side of the golf course and all the way down Peck Street along the adjoining side. But maybe that's not of general interest....

Saw Arlo Guthrie at (I think) Palmer in the early 70's. The crowd demanded Alice's Restaurant, but he was so sick of it by then he just wouldn't do it. Saw him perform the song last year finally when the Alice's Restaurant Tour came to my town.

Yes, the Villa Capri was in front of the LBJ School, and that Rodeway Inn it was connected with was the only motel or hotel anywhere near UT. UT evicted the restaurant and the motel, and when I came to UT in the late 80's on business they had to put me up at a downtown hotel not in walking distance to campus. The new convention facility UT finally opened looks nice but it's about 25 years late.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:20 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,252,102 times
Jorge's on Hancock and, no, not the current Jorge's that's there. That was some mighty fine Tex Mex. Same could be said for AusTexMex on I35. Both owned at one time by the godfather of Austin Tex Mex, Jorge Arrendondo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or