U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 AM

192 posts, read 538,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Originally Posted by Cha Ching
I remember all three of those! Every Holiday House had some interesting thing about it...big tropical fish or something. The one on Airport had some sort of thing in a pen out front...a big lizard or something? It's been awhile! I liked their hickory burger too, but I got the abbreviated youngster version.

The one on Airport had fish, IIRC. The one on Barton Springs Road, however, had an alligator and you could sit at the tables right by the window and watch him while you ate.
You know what??

I wanted to say an alligator, but then I thought, 'No, surely you're misremembering! It couldn't have been an alligator...'

Nice to know I'm not crazy!

In the same neighborhood...remember The Filling Station or Mackedrick's Tree House? My parents took me there once for my birthday, and the view was beautiful. I seem to recall some sort of yummy ice cream pie thing for dessert.

Gawd...Liberty Lunch. {{{{sigh}}}}. I miss that place so much. My best friend worked at Waterloo, who did the ticketing for Liberty Lunch. She was usually responsible for taking the ticket money down to Janette and Mark, and I was always her free plus one. I saw so many bands there. Practically lived there from about 88 to 93. Either there, the Cannibal Club or Emo's on 6th Street.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 AM

20,779 posts, read 39,661,328 times
Yep, ate at the Filling Station often. Mackedrick's Tree House was the new kid on the block for a while (believe it was by the same folks that had - The Garden, was it? - down on the Drag, where I ate often).

Speaking of the Drag, remember when the street vendors started down there?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 18,015 times
These comments are so great to read. I really feel like I missed out on a heyday of Austin. Regardless, here's a few small contributions from my short time here:

The Fiesta on South Lamar
The car dealerships downtown
Gallery Lombardi on 3rd
Aqua furniture
Holland Photo
PokeJo's on 5th
Texas Textbooks on the drag
The Caucus Club
Camp Fig
Jalisco's (Just the building, never went there)
The Filling Station
Maria's Taco Express
Mars Music
Sno Beach
The old airport

Something I really miss was when the 1st Thursday thing on South Congress initially got started, vendors and bands didn't need permission to set up, so they were all over the place, hundreds of them. And, you could walk up and down the street with beer in hand, no problem.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 PM

154 posts, read 323,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post

However, the weird economic turns caused a nice little gentrification just east of I-35, which was refreshing, in an area that had always been questionable. Even in 1972, when my parents bought in our area, my dad was getting advice telling him not to buy anywhere east of 35. We lived in an apartment complex called Fawnridge over near Reagan High when we first got to town in 71, and my brother got jumped on the way to school one day for a radio he was carrying. I rented at the Villas of La Costa in 92, and it was starting to improve around 93.
What a coincidence, I live at the apartment complex right next to Villas of La Costa. This row of apartment complexes are pretty decent, its St Johns and Cameron that is sketchy.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,589,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
Anybody know if they've done anything with the old Sound Warehouse/Wherehouse building across from The Omelettry? I'm curious if anyone plans to do anything with it. I went by about 2003 or so I think when Wherehouse was shutting up for good.
Are you talking about the property directly across Burnet at the southwest corner of Burnet and 49th? If so, it is a Camp 4 Paws now.

camp 4 paws austin - Google Maps

Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 PM

20,779 posts, read 39,661,328 times
I was just remembering hiking up Barton Creek from Barton Springs - and there was NOTHING built overlooking it, you were as the gentleman who donated the parkland intended, out in the country in the middle of the city. And coming back after being gone for a few months and seeing the apartments being built over the creek. Blasphemy! That was a true loss.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM

8,240 posts, read 15,710,242 times
I remember the Police concert at Southwest Meadows when it was wayyyy out of town AND a meadow! (c. 1978?)

Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 11,149 times
Default Sears in Hancock Shopping Center

Does anyone know anything about the basement inside of Sears at Hancock? I've read that it used to be a town hall, but there are lots of rumors about it. Has anyone been down there (while it was operational)? I've been down there, but Sears uses it as storage now.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,937 times
The Holiday Inn on Barton Springs rd, now Vinny's, had an alligator in a moat, which was often stolen as a prank by UT students. It also had an aviary full of beautiful tropical birds.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM

2,522 posts, read 5,396,580 times
http://www.marsteller.com/images/OurBusiness/advertising/publicservices/indian.jpg (broken link)
God, you folks rue the old days, and now they pave over Shady Grove trailer park with high-rise condos......sometimes it makes you feel like the crying indian in the PSA commercials!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or