U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 PM

19 posts, read 74,677 times

Advertisements

Looking for some balanced opinions on Austin. Job market, city, people, good neighborhoods, cost of living, nightlife, diversity? I am 22 and graduating from the University of Washington with degrees in Communications and Political Science, I also speak Spanish fluently. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,156,692 times
Hi Gary,
Since you are in Seattle, I thought you might be interested in the following threads:
A Seattle to Austin question
Austin vibe vs. Seattle vibe - compare, contrast
Seattle To Austin

I'll let others weigh in with the pros and cons. Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 PM

8,949 posts, read 10,718,687 times
Pros (Of City of Austin)
Affordable
Educated Population
Friendly
Good Tex Mex and BBQ
Live Music Scene
Weird Can Be Fun
Short, Mild Winter
City is generally tolorant

Cons (Some of these may apply to Texas vs. Austin itself... but Austin IS in Texas)
Hot, oppressive summers
No Pro Sports
Terrible Public Transportation and never ending rush hour and construction
Bad pizza, bagels and Chinese food
Very conservative/Christian (When you leave the city)
Poor local radio/news media
Not many places outside city for recreation within 1-2 hour drive
The city's infatuation with itself (And peoples tendency to overrate it)

Last edited by mlassoff; 01-01-2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 AM

56 posts, read 241,798 times
radio is awesome in Austin .... 90.5 case in point unless you want commercial junk

Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM

7,234 posts, read 13,857,642 times
"Not many places outside city for recreation within 1-2 hour drive"

ok, this one I don't get? The entire Hill Country and Highland chain of lakes is with a 2 hour drive, as are numerous state parks, not to mention the city of San Antonio (tourist paradise) and the city of Houston! Which is full of big city fun -- pro sports, great museums, fabulous ethnic and high end dining. I live in south central Austin and can be in SA in one hour 10 minutes and in Houston in 2 hours 20 minutes.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:58 AM

20,795 posts, read 39,800,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
"Not many places outside city for recreation within 1-2 hour drive"

ok, this one I don't get? The entire Hill Country and Highland chain of lakes is with a 2 hour drive, as are numerous state parks, not to mention the city of San Antonio (tourist paradise) and the city of Houston! Which is full of big city fun -- pro sports, great museums, fabulous ethnic and high end dining. I live in south central Austin and can be in SA in one hour 10 minutes and in Houston in 2 hours 20 minutes.
Yeah, I was wondering about this one, myself. What do you define as "recreation" if you can't find many places within a 1 to 2 hour drive?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,220,543 times
Yeah, I had to disagree with the radio and recreation one too. Waco has a better zoo and it's under 2 hours away. Innerspace Caverns in Georgetown is under an hour. Many lakes (boating, skiing, other water sports) are either under an hour up to 2 hours away. Two major cities about 2 hours away with everything a big city usually has. New Braunfels is about an hour or so away. There's good radio here too.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Cons (Some of these may apply to Texas vs. Austin itself... but Austin IS in Texas)
Hot, oppressive summers: True
No Pro Sports: A disadvantage to some, but not me.
Terrible Public Transportation and never ending rush hour and construction: It's bad, but maybe not as bad as Seattle (the traffic, that is. Public transit is pretty pitiful.)
Bad pizza, bagels and Chinese food: Bad bagels, some decent pizza (East Side Pies), great Chinese (Asia Cafe, First Chinese BBQ, Din Ho)
Very conservative/Christian (When you leave the city): True
Poor local radio/news media: 90.5 and KGSR are usually pretty good
Not many places outside city for recreation within 1-2 hour drive: Relatively true, if you are from a beautiful place like Seattle or a dense place like the urban Northeast.
The city's infatuation with itself (And peoples tendency to overrate it): I see your point, but civic pride is a good thing.

Last edited by brattpowered; 01-02-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,156,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Cons(Of City of Austin)

The city's infatuation with itself (And peoples tendency to overrate it)
The OP lives in Seattle right now, this is something he is surely used to

Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM

20,795 posts, read 39,800,347 times
Very conservative/Christian (When you leave the city): True

To clarify: SOME very conservative/Christian, but a whole lot that aren't. I say this as someone who has not only traveled outside the city, but has lived in the country in varying areas of the state. Mostly, I hear this from people who either are passing on stereotypes they've heard from someone else, or who like to be confrontational and then call people too conservative or religious when actually the said people are just annoyed by someone being confrontational.

Not many places outside city for recreation within 1-2 hour drive: Relatively true, if you are from a beautiful place like Seattle or a dense place like the urban Northeast.

Once again, PLEASE clarify this. Given all the things available to do within a 2 hour drive of Austin, I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that is not available that is the problem. (Oh, and I lived in Seattle, albeit briefly.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or