Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with either of these places? How long have they been around. They are probably the two largest buildings in that immediate area of Austin (along Guadalupe near the University campus.

If someone knows the name of the other building, I would appreciate it.

I was watching a documentary on the eccentric folk singer Daniel Johnston who became famous while living in Austin in the 1980's. They said that he worked at a McDonald's which used to be located in the Dobie Center, which was the only McD's to have ever failed. It's been replaced by some other fast food place. He still shops occasionally at the record store across the corner from the church on Guadalupe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
I live in Dobie in 1992/93. Was a great experience... I had a better view as a college freshman than I will likely ever have a again. Had my own bedroom with a pvt bathroom and a living room which I shared with a roommate. From my 17th floor suite I could see most of campus, most of downtown and the old Mueller Airport.

I think you're talking about Castillian-- the tall white building. It was notorious for its parties back then.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,834 times
dobie mall is built on my mother-in-law's ancestral land/homestead! she walked off her porch, crossed the street and attended her classes. imagine that! dobie was constructed in 1969-70

Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Yes, and the record shop isn't there any more either! But the "Hi there" mural remains. And of course, the fast food place that went in where the record shop was has turned over again too.

The Dobie is the blue green glass one and the Castillian is the big white one. St. Austin's Catholic Church is on the other corner and the Ransom center on the other.

That was my part of town for a very long time. Grad student at UT for more than a decade, for part of that time, my little kids were at the daycare at University Baptist Church just up the block, past Quack's (also sadly gone).

Chickenfry, that is a quite an Austin legacy that you have!! I love it when I can talk to folks who went to UT in the 40s, they have quite the stories.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I also lived in Dobie, back in 1989. That was the year that they replaced the facade of the building; before it was glass, it was a kind of brown stone similar in color to Jester. However, the adhesive that held the stone on had failed, and some of the facade had fallen off, so they had to re-do the whole thing to what you see now. It was an absolute blast living there, for many reasons.

The other tall building you are referring to near 24th & San Antonio is the Castillian, another private dorm like Dobie. Other older tallish private dorms off campus are University Towers (near 24th and San Gabriel) and the Wooten (near 21st and Guadalupe).

Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Great info. Yes, I think it's the Castillian. I'm a little surprised at how much their rent costs per month, but I guess they are pretty convenient. It's funny how one of their promotional pictures shows a girl sleeping. I doubt a typical dorm atmosphere would allow for much sleeping due to all the noise.

The description of the Dobie as brownstone brings back an old memory. I visited Austin in 1983 when I was a kid and can remember going into a building close to there which I think must have been the Dobie Center. It had an older look to it though. I wish I could remember more.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,146 times
I got Daniel Johnston's autograph on a ketchup-stained napkin in 1985 when he worked at the mall. He drew a sketch on it as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM

625 posts, read 1,134,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibson63 View Post
I got Daniel Johnston's autograph on a ketchup-stained napkin in 1985 when he worked at the mall. He drew a sketch on it as well.
Nice. Is it inscribed "Hi, how are you?"

Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Yeah the Mc Ds was on the bottom floor. Matter of fact, the mall used to have two distinct floors with lots of vendors coming and going over the years. I can remember in the early 80's hanging out there to see movies and going up to the top floor (roof) to look out over UT and Austin. The theater has remained constant. I tried going up to the roof in the late 90s but couldnt. The inside of the mall has a more open floor plan now due to renovations. Also, there was a game room and an awesome ice cream stand in there-way before Amy's opened on the north side of the drag.

Is the record store you mentioned, the sound exchange?
There was also a cool record store on the north side of 24th at san antonio. I think its a resturaunt or coffee bar now. Anybody remember the name of that place? No i am not talking about tower records. That was on guadalupe at 24.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
Is the record store you mentioned, the sound exchange?
There was also a cool record store on the north side of 24th at san antonio. I think its a resturaunt or coffee bar now. Anybody remember the name of that place? No i am not talking about tower records. That was on guadalupe at 24.
Was it Inner Sanctum records? If so, it was the old building that had a smoke shop on the first floor, and I think the record store was on the second. It had an outdoor eatery adjacent to it, I can't remember whether it was Les Amis or Mad Dog and Beans. I believe the building is long gone. There is some other newer retail building there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin