U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:49 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,401,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
My former insurance covered it at 50% .. but it was a self funded municipal insurance. And doh! I shoulda used it I didn't know it wasn't normal. So back to the original topic since I started this thread in another direction ... does this stuff just go away?? I go to Vegas next Sat and I can't be feeling all ill!! Add in I have been having problems with Vertigo and all this stuffiness is making it act up!
As soon as you get out of Austin, you'll feel better. So, don't worry about being sick in Vegas. I get worse or better from day to day. I don't need the allergy report on the news; I can tell you what it is on any given day. And it goes away after the cedar trees stop pollinating, usually sometime in February.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 PM

269 posts, read 852,829 times
Februrary really? It's only January 10th ... so to answer your original question then ... yes I am ready to cut my head off ... I think there are enough of us we could have a head cutting off party ... we could have a catchy theme like The Anne Boylen Party ... okay perhaps I'm mixing too many allergy meds now! Thanks for all the info!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,240,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
As soon as you get out of Austin, you'll feel better. So, don't worry about being sick in Vegas. I get worse or better from day to day.
I just spent a week in St. Petersburg, Florida and felt normal again. It took about a day to feel better. Within a half hour of being back in Austin, I felt like garbage.

Other than my standard treatment(zyrtec/flonase), I rinse my sinuses with a saline spray EVERY time I am exposed to the juniper pollen(cedar). I also try to do a eucalyptus steam every day and drink a cup or two of Breath Deep Yogi Tea(great stuff).

I might look into shots at some point though because I also have ragweed which lasts from August through November...6 months of allergies is a bit inconvenient

Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 AM

12 posts, read 29,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Anyone else ready to just cut their head off? I can't breathe, can't sleep - it sucks. I am going through 2 boxes of tissues a day (no exaggeration). I am on about every prescription allergy medication known to man, and nothing is helping.

The only help for me was Nazanex, I was on pills shots, nothing worked
untill I found Nazanex its a precription but also a preventitive though it takes a few days to kick in, but thank god my allergy dissappears and I have no more problems after 3 years..
LindaTx

Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 AM

264 posts, read 1,016,339 times
It may sound a little too much, but if you were to EAT a little bit, like a pinch or even less of pollen (if you can gather it at a park or trail or something) for as long as you want, your body will start tolerating the substance and stop treating it like a "foe" everytime it gets into you through your nose.
You could also try drinking LOCAL goats milk or having LOCAL, good quality, honey (bee).
I hope it helps. I don't get too bad with the allergens, but my little one really suffers from allergies, it's awful!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,603,333 times
I, too, want to cut my head off. I'm so DIZZY! also, I had PRK (which is like Lasik, but slightly different) about 10 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. I put it on a credit card, heh.

Definitely do your research. There are symptoms (my night vision isn't great, I usually wear glasses at night while driving), but for me, they were worth it.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:47 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,603,333 times
Also, for the person who posted the milk link, thanks! That was very interesting. I rarely drink milk and I try to stay away from soy milk, but I wonder about yogurt. Most everyone talks about how healthy yogurt is and how you should have it every day (which I do). Why is milk bad and yogurt good? Or is it?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 PM

264 posts, read 1,016,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Also, for the person who posted the milk link, thanks! That was very interesting. I rarely drink milk and I try to stay away from soy milk, but I wonder about yogurt. Most everyone talks about how healthy yogurt is and how you should have it every day (which I do). Why is milk bad and yogurt good? Or is it?
Cow's milk creates congestion. Yogurt, in the other hand, can be loaded with probiotics, which will help boost your immune system.
Goat's milk can help you create immunity to whatever it is they eat, since it's been digested by them already, for example, my husband used to drink goat's milk from their property and he develped "resistace" to the itch of poison ivy, because the goats ate a lot of it.
National Geographic had a very interesting article about this subject a while ago, a lot of good to know information if you or anybody you care about has allergies.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,240,023 times
So how is everyone doing? The cedar has been incredibly high recently due to the warm, dry weather.

Sweet blessed mercy, I'm getting killed. The other morning I stood up too fast, got dizzy, passed out and fell down. FAINTED! My head was so congested that my equilibrium was totally affected. I know that my meds are doing something, because when I missed a day, I was basically in bed all day. So it's keeping me walking but that's it.

I've been fantasizing about my face being a removable plate, and how lovely it would be to be able to get in there and clear out my sinuses, steam them, and prime them with a pollen-resistant solution.

It's bitterly ironic that I can't really go outside and enjoy the beautiful, mild winters here. I'm stuck inside just like I was in Cleveland Might have to look into those shots after all.

Could be a deal-breaker for me in Austin.

I know. Wah, wah, wah...

Old 01-24-2009, 02:12 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,401,712 times
I went to the doctor last week and she gave me a cortizone shot. It helped a lot, but I'm still having issues, to say the least. Next year, i am going to go to an allergist and try getting the shots. She suggested I start in the summer. I have heard the theory of eating it (either in local honey or whatever), but my doctor said that you would pretty much have to eat buckets of it to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin