U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,240,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I went to the doctor last week and she gave me a cortizone shot. It helped a lot, but I'm still having issues, to say the least. Next year, i am going to go to an allergist and try getting the shots. She suggested I start in the summer. I have heard the theory of eating it (either in local honey or whatever), but my doctor said that you would pretty much have to eat buckets of it to work.
So the shot was worth it then? My physician mentioned something like that, so maybe I'll go try it. I need something. I'm taking a multi-pronged approach that for many would be more than enough. But I need more. I'm lecturing 4 times a week and I'm having a hard time maintaining my usual high energy level.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM

207 posts, read 791,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
So how is everyone doing? The cedar has been incredibly high recently due to the warm, dry weather.

Sweet blessed mercy, I'm getting killed. The other morning I stood up too fast, got dizzy, passed out and fell down. FAINTED! My head was so congested that my equilibrium was totally affected. I know that my meds are doing something, because when I missed a day, I was basically in bed all day. So it's keeping me walking but that's it.

I've been fantasizing about my face being a removable plate, and how lovely it would be to be able to get in there and clear out my sinuses, steam them, and prime them with a pollen-resistant solution.

It's bitterly ironic that I can't really go outside and enjoy the beautiful, mild winters here. I'm stuck inside just like I was in Cleveland Might have to look into those shots after all.

Could be a deal-breaker for me in Austin.

I know. Wah, wah, wah...
I have been struggling for the past week or so. My usual regimen of Target knock-off Claritin ($4 for 30 days is a MUCH better price) usually keeps my day to day stuff in check (I take my pill at night so that it is at full strength when I wake up). But this week I have been taking half doses of Nyquil just to make it to work without blowing my nose every 2 minutes. Its either feel a little drowsy and not as focused or be stuck in front of a tissue box. I much prefer the drowsy.

I went to the doc and got some Flonase. It has had a positive effect as well. I am feeling much better on it. I'm still thinking of getting some kind of shot.

As for my Nyquil regimen, it is my cure all. I get bad attacks about 3-5 times per year. Nothing I have tried, other than Nyquil, is effective. If a bad day (nose constantly running like a faucet) happens on a work day, I have to call in sick. Nothing but a full dose of Nyquil and sleep with take care of it.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 7,408,682 times
Quote:
So the shot was worth it then? My physician mentioned something like that, so maybe I'll go try it. I need something. I'm taking a multi-pronged approach that for many would be more than enough. But I need more. I'm lecturing 4 times a week and I'm having a hard time maintaining my usual high energy level.
Yeah, it helped. It only lasts for about 3 weeks though. Next year I am going to get the actual allergy shots (the series of shots). But you need to start them before the cedar season begins. I'm still taking Claritin, Nasonex (which doesn't seem to do much, but I figure it can't hurt), and Singulair (which also doesn't seem to be doing much).

Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM

14,637 posts, read 32,149,774 times
I'm in San Antonio, and if I didn't have a 12 year old depending on me, cutting off my head would have been an option. OMG it was awful this week, and it's supposed to get worse tonight and over the next couple of days. I feel like someone is pouring acid into my eyes, and the Kleenex company should definitely be thanking me this fiscal year. Cedar sucks.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM

718 posts, read 2,199,323 times
Quote:
I worked at a family practice back in Tennessee years ago. The allergies were a different kind back there, but never this bad! Anyway, a cortisone shot, was pretty much standard practice. It will help dry you up a little, but will not last that long. I suppose one could ask for oral steroids in addition. We also gave allergy shots there (we received the serum from the actual allergists and gave the injections to our patients) and the patients always said the before and after, in regards to the shots, was night and day. As far as being pregnant, I think I remember that if you had the shots before you were pregnant, it was fine, but you could not start a new treatment if you were preggers. Hope that makes sense!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,240,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourbound129 View Post
I have been struggling for the past week or so. My usual regimen of Target knock-off Claritin ($4 for 30 days is a MUCH better price) usually keeps my day to day stuff in check (I take my pill at night so that it is at full strength when I wake up). But this week I have been taking half doses of Nyquil just to make it to work without blowing my nose every 2 minutes. Its either feel a little drowsy and not as focused or be stuck in front of a tissue box. I much prefer the drowsy.

I went to the doc and got some Flonase. It has had a positive effect as well. I am feeling much better on it. I'm still thinking of getting some kind of shot.

As for my Nyquil regimen, it is my cure all. I get bad attacks about 3-5 times per year. Nothing I have tried, other than Nyquil, is effective. If a bad day (nose constantly running like a faucet) happens on a work day, I have to call in sick. Nothing but a full dose of Nyquil and sleep with take care of it.
That's an interesting technique, taking them at night. I've always taken my meds in the morning but you're right, I pretty much have to rule out feeling decent until about noon. I've been taking zyrtec and flonase for a couple of years(works perfectly for my ragweed allergy). Flonase is pretty good stuff. I ran out last week and I think that's why things got so bad. The eucalyptus steams feel great but the effect is temporary, as is tea...but still worth doing.

I've heard people say they've been here for 5 years before being affected. This is only my second year and I'm already a mess.

Bad allergy genes I suppose

Thanks all!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,480,531 times
Quote:
So how is everyone doing? The cedar has been incredibly high recently due to the warm, dry weather.

Sweet blessed mercy, I'm getting killed. The other morning I stood up too fast, got dizzy, passed out and fell down. FAINTED! My head was so congested that my equilibrium was totally affected. I know that my meds are doing something, because when I missed a day, I was basically in bed all day. So it's keeping me walking but that's it.

I've been fantasizing about my face being a removable plate, and how lovely it would be to be able to get in there and clear out my sinuses, steam them, and prime them with a pollen-resistant solution.

It's bitterly ironic that I can't really go outside and enjoy the beautiful, mild winters here. I'm stuck inside just like I was in Cleveland Might have to look into those shots after all.

Could be a deal-breaker for me in Austin.

I know. Wah, wah, wah...
Get to an allergist!!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 PM

207 posts, read 791,673 times
Quote:
That's an interesting technique, taking them at night. I've always taken my meds in the morning but you're right, I pretty much have to rule out feeling decent until about noon. I've been taking zyrtec and flonase for a couple of years(works perfectly for my ragweed allergy). Flonase is pretty good stuff. I ran out last week and I think that's why things got so bad. The eucalyptus steams feel great but the effect is temporary, as is tea...but still worth doing.

I've heard people say they've been here for 5 years before being affected. This is only my second year and I'm already a mess.

Bad allergy genes I suppose

Thanks all!
I used to take my allergy medication in the morning but changed about a year ago. My wife read something online about taking it at night so I gave it a shot. Definitely the best move for me. I used to wake up miserable and it would be a couple hours before any relief. Now I either wake up feeling great or shortly after (usually after a nice hot shower to let the steam clean out my sinuses).

I have had allergies my entire life. I was born and grew up in Austin. I lived in DFW for about 8 years but it wasn't any better up there. Apparently when I was young I was allergic to practically everything. I have grown out of most things but cedar and some other airborne stuff certainly give me fits.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,487,320 times
I have been here 5 yrs now and it just started last week for me! Crazy sneezing all the time and stuffy....Worse at bedtime and first thing in the morning...
I have tried sinus rinses before, but not for this. I think it is time to try that.
Also, wondering about that gel or cream stuff you put on/in your nostrils that blocks the allergens. Anyone tried that?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,259,052 times
The allergist will recommend you take all meds at night before bed so they're at their peak during the day.

Be careful about cortisone shots. I took one right before I went to the allergist last year and the doctor told me that if you take them regularly (and by that he meant only 3-4 times a year) the drug will cause permanent bone deterioration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin