Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 PM

43 posts, read 114,987 times

Advertisements

There is nothing better than sipping John Walker Red and smoking a J on my porch in Tarrytown. The magnolia leaves glisten in the setting sun as the clouds turn from pink to purple, and my mind from pristine to altered. Welcome to Austin, no problems here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 PM

351 posts, read 1,431,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Alcohol is different from drugs.
Correct. ALL drugs are different from each other, including the drug alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Maybe if I used a needle to drink it we could compare it to an actual drug?
A needle does not deliver the DRUG as fast as a straw.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:03 PM

43 posts, read 114,987 times
A needle sends the substance straight to the blood stream. There is no quicker way to intoxicate yourself. Not even a straw can do that...

Any mind altering substance is a drug, therefor alcohol is a drug. The discussion on alcohol being a drug should end. It is without a doubt a drug. And this is a fact.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Texan View Post
A needle sends the substance straight to the blood stream. There is no quicker way to intoxicate yourself. Not even a straw can do that...
I guess my point didn't come across well. I was just trying to say the straw is just another transport for a drug. It doesn't matter how it gets in your system, it's what the effect is when it does arrive.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
I guess my point didn't come across well. I was just trying to say the straw is just another transport for a drug. It doesn't matter how it gets in your system, it's what the effect is when it does arrive.
Yep. Alcohol is a drug, though some really seem to not want to acknowledge that for some reason.

Now, there are drugs and drugs, across a wide continuum, from aspirin, say, to heroin, in their impact. Including some herbs (some seem to think that if it's "natural" that it's somehow not capable of doing harm like those evil old pharmaceuticals, not realizing that if that were the case, whatever herb it is wouldn't be capable fo doing good, either, because it wouldn't have an impact). Also, everyone reacts to drugs (legal or illegal, prescribed, or recreationally) a little bit differently, depending on their individual physiological make-up. But it would be too complicated, apparently, to legislate against those who react badly to various recreational drugs (iincluding overuse of alcohol, say) using them while allowing those who don't have such reactions to do so legally, so we end up with laws that paint drugs with a broad brush based on the lowest common denominator (those who react badly).

Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 PM

180 posts, read 566,063 times
Every single city in the US has a drug problem. Even the small Lexington, KY, where I went to grade school had a drug problem. Kids were being arrested with ecstasy and meth left and right - in the "heartland".

Prohibition will always create a criminal black market that seeks to prey on our most vulnerable - children. Each time the threat of law enforcement against gang members, who do most of the big dealings, is raised... drug prices go up, making the whole thing even more lucrative, attracting even more dangerous-minded people into the scene. Then, the dealers that are arrested get thrown in jail, for which we tax payers have to pay more to house than we pay for the children they were preying on to be educated.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
This entire thread just killed my buzz.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
I have lived in Austin for 10 years. You are correct, Austin has a lot of low moral, drug users including the educated students from UT. Promiscuity in Austin is high and unconventional. A lot of nasty swinging perverts there too....I would guess a lot higher per capita than other cities in Texas. Not a good place to have a solid,healthy relationship. And ......no....... drug dealers are not just mainly found in East Austin. There is heavy business in the bar and restaurant scene of Austin and around college campuses. The drug dealers in Austin don't always look like the conventional drug dealer. Some are white collar professionals that graduated from UT and college students themselves are involved in drug dealing. Any where there is a demand.
It seems the local authorities do turn a blind eye to it. Getting high isn't as cool as "Austinites" think it is. I do enjoy the free spirit of the city though, very environmentally oriented....it is refreshing compared to other pollution ridden, unhealthy cities in Texas. Austin itself is beautiful and, other than drugs, the people there are fit and live relatively healthy lifestyles.

Last edited by veronica2222; 03-02-2011 at 12:55 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
I have lived in every part of town in Austin,Tx and know the city from top to bottom I can tell you it has a serious drug problem.Cocaine,Heroin,Pot you name it.
The City seems to completely ignore this and I wonder if the local news seems to sweep this under the rug.I know the Dj's from KLBJ are always making fun of people. Nigel on klbj always has some joker on the show doing drugs and asking his son to bring him tequila shots.I remeber listening to the radio and hearing the Dj talk about Scott Wieland of STP having to skip Austin,Tx on the tour date,might have something to do with Scott's addiction to Heroin and trying to overcome his addiction.Also the Guitarist Chris Duarte who used to be a local Austin Musician now lives in Atlanta where I'm told SRV went to for rehab.Which brings me to my next question are the bands in Austin really Musicians or just drug addicts disguised as ones?
Yeah, sad !

Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
.I hear you on the burrito.. why am I having to wait so long in a line, and why does the person feel like he's the only one that's important ?Especially at a gas station or convince store. I've never seen people feel like it's there own personal time with the attendant.You came to the store buy something so do that and leave, help the next person in line by doing so not "oh hows was your day ???"Holding up the line forever.
You must not be from the South. This is more a traditional Southern cultural thing. You'll see old ladies asking the store clerk how their day was, that has nothing to do with drugs.

As for the burrito, you have to admit the burritos are good at Taco Cabana, so to me, if the food is good it's worth the wait. If you want your burrito done faster, go to Taco Bell. I don't care if the cook is high, as long as my food tastes good I'm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin