Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 PM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
I'm wondering about the heat, too. I'm thinking of moving to Austin as well. The part about the concrete trapping the heat was interesting.

I'm from Virginia, felt hot there, but didn't care and would play outside as long as I liked. Never had any problems with being out any time of day, just felt a bit "uncomfortable" is all. Didn't like it in the direct sun, but then I feel like the sun is burning me even when it's in the 70's, so that's not really a temperature thing. I guess a long sleeve shirt will take care of that though.

I visited Phoenix last year (October), and when it was 98 out it felt "too hot" and after a while I had to go in. When it was 87 I was fine (maybe a bit uncomfortable).

So... will it be so bad that I, personally, would have to stay inside, or will I just be "uncomfortable" during the summer? Or would it be hard to tell from what I've said? How does one figure just what their "heat tolerance" level is?

BTW, how's the tree situation there? Are there wooded areas? Tree-lined streets? What kind of trees? I'm sure someone's answered this before, but since I'm getting pretty certain about going down there I figure I better double check, first.
I was in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl flea market the other day and it was 97 degrees! Quite warm. Had to stop for some water. When the heat is dry and you can escape to A/C, it's doable. You do adjust but it takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 03:40 AM

259 posts, read 1,915,042 times
Default Ca Vs Austin Heat

I'M CURIOUS TO SEE IF ANYONE HERE HAS EXPERIENCED THE HEAT IN JULY, AUG, SEPT MONTHS IN THE INLAND EMPIRE CA VS AUSTIN SUMMERS? I LIVED IN SAN BERNARDINO AND ONTARIO AREA FOR MANY YEARS, THE HEAT WAS A "DRY HEAT" AT A RANGE OF 98 TO 106 DURING THESE MONTHS.... WE'RE MOVING TO AUSTIN THIS SUMMER AND ALTHOUGH I'M FAIRLY USED TO WARM SUMMERS...I'M OF COURSE, CONCERNED ABOUT THE HUMIDITY...ANY THOUGHTS? THANX..

Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,199,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIE View Post
I'M CURIOUS TO SEE IF ANYONE HERE HAS EXPERIENCED THE HEAT IN JULY, AUG, SEPT MONTHS IN THE INLAND EMPIRE CA VS AUSTIN SUMMERS? I LIVED IN SAN BERNARDINO AND ONTARIO AREA FOR MANY YEARS, THE HEAT WAS A "DRY HEAT" AT A RANGE OF 98 TO 106 DURING THESE MONTHS.... WE'RE MOVING TO AUSTIN THIS SUMMER AND ALTHOUGH I'M FAIRLY USED TO WARM SUMMERS...I'M OF COURSE, CONCERNED ABOUT THE HUMIDITY...ANY THOUGHTS? THANX..
The humidity is miserable and around these parts, it doesn't cool off much at night and the heat lasts for months on end. There aren't any breaks worth mentioning.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Hi Terrie,

I'm in California too... I guess if we want to move to Austin, we just have to buckle down and put up with the heat like everyone else. The people I've talked to who've lived there for years, don't complain about it much. I did talk to a one woman from California who lived there for 9 months and decided to move back to Studio City, CA. She said the heat was unbearable and the humidity made everything wet. Even paint didn't dry. Frankly, I don't think Studio City is something to turn around for. Few places in the country are perfect. It's either the cold and snow in MN or the horrible overcast gray of New England, or the god awful humidity in Florida, or the constant drizzle and rain in Seattle. Take your pick.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Touche' Artichoke.....i'd Rather Cool Off In A/c Than Live In The Snow, Cold, Grey Skies....if There Was A Perfect Place, I Guess We'd All Be There.....i'm With Ya On The Studio City Thing.....what Part Of Cali Are You In?:d

Old 03-18-2007, 02:14 AM

Hi Terrie,

I'm in West Hollywood / Beverly Hills near Roberston and Wilshire. I live in a great neighborhood but expensive! I love going to all the flea markets in Los Angeles. This town has a great hip artsy vibe to it. but the traffic is horrendous! I can't even drive down the street anymore without coming home wipe out and exhausted. I don't mind the snow. I'm sort of playing with the idea of moving back to western mass too. The more I research, the more confused I get. I'll be in Austin this Wednesday to check it out. And then I'm going to Raliegh NC. i can't believe I'm doing it! Artie

Old 03-18-2007, 03:03 AM

thats awesome...i'd love to hear about your travels when you get back....this is a sad decision for us as we are having to leave hawaii because of the "expense"....i believe hawaii is the perfect place weather and beauty wise....it just sucks that beauty and weather won't pay the bills!!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 PM

289 posts, read 1,135,057 times
Hi Terrie,

I lived in Temecula in 2003 and am from San Diego. You know those days in Temecula when it's really hot in the middle of the day and you'd fry if you stood in the sun too long. Well, there are a lot of days like that but more humid, especially in the mornings. The hardest part is that it will be 85 and humid when you go to bed, so unless you wake up early, you can go 100 days without ever feeling an outdoor temp below 80. Pretty amazing.

That said, heat doesn't bother me so much since there's plenty of air conditioning. Plus the pool is delightful in the evening because you aren't cold when you get out. I like the thunderstorms and the feel of warm rain on a humid day. So much more weather variety here.

One of the things I had to really get used to is that you can not at any time of year (barring an ice storm or the middle of summer) look out the window and guess a temperature. It can be February and you look out and it's sunny and you think, ah, 70's. Nope, it's 37. Then the next day, it's cloudy and you think, okay, 40's. Nope, 76.

I'm pleased to be away from the incessant Temecula afternoon dry wind. Here there can be wind at any time of day or night, but it's not every day like Temecula.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:55 PM

tashina...i've spent quite a bit of time in temecula...and i know what you mean about the heat and wind.....wouldn't it be great if austin had san diego weather?? lol......there would be people moving there in DROVES!...i'm looking forward to seeing some change in the weather....i never thought i'd say this but, i'm over the whole palm tree thing...would like to see some different scenery for a change.....i guess my next question is: does the lifestyle, people, outdoor activities etc. out weigh the heat in the summers?....i can certainly deal with the humidity if i'm sure i'm living in a place that offers so much....what area of austin did you settle in? we're toying with the suburbs vs town areas....we plan on renting for the first year to really get a feel for where we want to be there....of course, we would land in pemberton heights in a minute if i could afford it! lol

Old 03-18-2007, 01:38 PM

85 posts, read 404,560 times
I don't know who started this vicious rumor that Austin was hot and humid.
Survey after survey has shown Austin has some of the most average temps. on earth.
It isn't true even cactus won't grow here= nor is it true we are the nudist capital of the US. Yes, we do have naked folks running amok at times....but hey, most big cities have a problem of some sort.
Come on over and bring your cute little ol' puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin