Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times

Advertisements

Yes, there is more concrete here now than there was 5-10 years ago. The Dellionaires moving to the west side and mowing all the trees down near/on the lake, and other points west to put up McMansions has taken out a lot of green, but even so, it's still got lots of trees. It's extremely hot, but not too humid here, and I didn't realize it until I moved away and then moved back. It took one summer for me to reacclimate, but after that it wasn't bad. But I grew up in Brazoria and Clear Lake, and the humidity there is very heavy. There is so much to do here outdoors it's ridiculous. It would be nice if they put more bike and walking trails up, and got a little stricter about greenbelts. They're actually starting to institute green belts on the East Side where I live, because otherwise it would be an eternal view of rooflines from the suburban sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 01:01 AM

259 posts, read 1,915,042 times
daisey...are you talkinig about hawaii or austin? we have no air here in hawaii and yes, the humidity can get bad....we originally came from soca...the desert side so, we're used to HOT weather..lol what paert of hawaii did you live on? what made you leave?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM

111 posts, read 331,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIE View Post
daisey...are you talkinig about hawaii or austin? we have no air here in hawaii and yes, the humidity can get bad....we originally came from soca...the desert side so, we're used to HOT weather..lol what paert of hawaii did you live on? what made you leave?
I was speaking about Hawaii. I was raised in Kailua. When I lived there, '64-'86, it wasn't as bad. I have noticed that in the past decade it has gotten hotter. I am a HUGE air conditioning lover because of growing up without it.
I left because I married a marine and he got transferred. I was also ready to spread my wings. My brother moved to California for 17 years and moved back to Maui about 3 years ago.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Dellionaires?

Seriously? Does this even happen anymore?

I have to assume you are talking about the days past when Dell first started and people got IPO money, or in Dell's heyday.

It's certainly not like that anymore, with profits down and HP, etc taking their market... while not "underpaid" at Dell, I wouldn't say "overpaid" and I definitely wouldn't consider anyone coming out of Dell right now, a "Dellionaire".

Perhaps though, the up and coming software game industry in the Austin area is contributing to the development and McMansions you mentioned.

Not Dell though.
I wish we could say we were "Dellionaires"!

I really would just consider it growth typical for a city the size of Austin. A great location, good economy, friendly area with decent weather and surroundings won't stay "small townish" forever.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,591,787 times
My sister taught me the term, and since she's been here over 10 years, I imagine you're right. I know several people that work for Dell, and I know they're not millionaires. Her husband grew up in Taylor and I imagine the term came from Dell's early years. But I've been going to the Lake for many years, and you've got to admit that besides the Sandra Bullock's moving there, there are lots more Massive houses, and the poor thing just doesn't feel quite the same. (I think I'm turning into a sentimental old coot who doesn't deal with change very well, and I'm only in my 30's). But that said...Austin is still the best place to live, and it's still got it's same old vibe.

Plus, I'm probably just jealous, cause I want to eventually live by the water myself and we can't do it at this point. At least not on Travis. But there are many other Lakes that aren't as pricey, so there's still hope yet!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjt3rd View Post
It is really hot in Austin but it does not get hot here as soon as it does in Phoenix.

It is sticky humid heat on some days but not on others.

My dogs survived the move from "up north" but it was rough on them. Gradually introduce them to the heat and take plenty of water with you on your walks. Find a good vet and get their shots for this area with certain parisites.

There are several doggie parks for people with dogs and Zilker park is dog friendly (well it was a couple of years ago).
What parasites for the area? I don't give my dog shots. This vet/drug companies make a fortune of making people paranoid about dogs getting yearly vaccinations.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 PM

38 posts, read 179,675 times
I can't believe I just stumbled on this board and this post in particular. My husband and I have been talking about moving to Austin for the past few months and then the other day I realized just how hot it gets in the summer and I've been freaking out.

How do the kids play outside in the summertime? What do they do in day camp? I'm sure they swim a lot, but you can't spend the entire day submerged in water. Also, are the schools air conditioned?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:04 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times
Oh, god yes, the schools are air conditioned .

You will be suprised how well kids can do out in the heat as long as there is shade. I grew up in Texas and don't ever recall really thinking "I am hot" as a kid, it was just a part of life. The human body is an amazing system and can adjust to wide range of temperatures, if there is enough water in the heat or enough clothing in the cold. The problem is more of an issue with adults that cannot as easily mentally adapt to the heat (or cold).

As for pets, they need the same things - shade and water - and most (other than a few very specific cold weather breeds) will do fine.

As for parasites, I am assuming we are talking parvo shots, which I thought were a one-time thing with puppies (but I don't have a dog, so could be completely wrong).

Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Our vet here said that if you don't give your pets heartworm preventative, there is a greater than 60% chance that they will get heartworms in this area. Lots of mosquitos I guess.

We didn't have that problem in WA - it's a rare thing. I looked on the little chart that gave the amount of cases of heartworms in this area, for, I think, last year - and it was one of the highest numbers in the country.

For shots, you just have to give the standard stuff you would anywhere else.

You really should vaccinate your pets. It's not that expensive - and there are low cost vaccine clinics all over the place - so I don't really think they are "making a fortune" off of it.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 PM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Our vet here said that if you don't give your pets heartworm preventative, there is a greater than 60% chance that they will get heartworms in this area. Lots of mosquitos I guess.

We didn't have that problem in WA - it's a rare thing. I looked on the little chart that gave the amount of cases of heartworms in this area, for, I think, last year - and it was one of the highest numbers in the country.

For shots, you just have to give the standard stuff you would anywhere else.

You really should vaccinate your pets. It's not that expensive - and there are low cost vaccine clinics all over the place - so I don't really think they are "making a fortune" off of it.
Jenbar,

Of course, drug companies make a fortune of pet vaccines. Dogs don't need yearly vaccines. More and more breeders and some vets even are toning it down a bit. Anyone who's interested can do the research and find out the complications associated with overvaccinating. Typically, vaccinated a dog once in puppyhood gives the dog immunity for life. No need for all the yearly boosters. I don't give my dogs shots anymore.

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin