Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The other thing that you must do is know if he's the type of person that can focus while riding.
This is probably the most important thing to think of, assuming all the other basics are covered (proper training, gear, picking the routes, etc).

I've been riding since I was 9 years old, staring with motocross bikes. I don't own a MC at present, but I do have a license and last took the MC Safety Course in the early 2000s over at the Burger Center parking lot. My wife doesn't want me riding again until the youngest graduates high school, so I'm honoring that request (though she has softened in her resolve and probably would let me now if I pressed the matter).

But when riding, focus is more important than anything else. A MC rider must assume at every intersection that someone will be running the light and you have to know exactly how to respond and what you'll do. Being a skilled rider, knowing how to brake fast, swerve, and even go down properly is important. When cruising next to cars (not a good idea - pass or stay behind, don't ride next to cars in traffic) you have to assume that they're going to change lanes and not see you. Every car is going to pull out from the stop sign in front of you (in your mind) and you know trhat and are ready instead of just blindly cruising down the street daydreaming about whatever.

With this proper mindset and focus, you assume the worst is about to happen at every opportunity and thus you empower yourself with the forethought and reflexes needed to avoid being a casualty of someone else's inattention. This is the only way to ride. There is no other. People who can't focus and remain diligent in this way are less safe than those who understand.

That said, I personally have no more fear about riding a MC than I do driving a car because of how I approach it. Whether your husband can be safe depends on his mindset and ability to focus and anticipate at all times.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,013 times
Okay, the best thing to do is support the decision because motorcycle riding has become #3 to me under God, family and friends. On that note, I am a husband who commutes on my motorcycle (when snow is not on the ground) and on top of that I'll ride 400+ on a Saturday or Sunday just to look at New England. I have amassed over 30000 miles in 3 years of riding. During that time I have only had one incident. Someone ran a red light. Yes, accidents are going to happen but with practice and by your husband taking the MSF (safety course) and wearing protective gear your husband can easily minimize the damage done. My accident was due to some guy running a red light while I was turning into the intersection. If not for the safety classes I have taken things would've been much worse but becuase of those classes I know if I intentionally crashed the outcome would be better. I had one scratched knuckle and two scratched knees. My gear held up fine. I immediately got up and ran to my bike with intentions to pick it up and keep riding. Unfortunately it was totaled after hitting the curb and flipping. No biggie. My wife is nervous from time to time also but now she is considering riding herself.

Hope I didn't scare you but there are dangers involved with riding but to be honest, the pay off everytime I get to ride is worth it to me. Hope this helped in some way.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
"Yep, I would have to agree. Let him talk to some people who see the kinds of things that can happen to even the safest motorcycle drivers. My father spent 30+ years with the Austin Fire Department. They are always first on just about any scene. The stories I heard made me not want to ride a motorcycle ever in my life."

I was reading this thread and was at this post when I heard one of the fireman from the station across the street leave on his harley (and he likes to hit the gas on his way out!) I agree with everyone on the point of him just using more caution, taking the safety course and driving defensively. My stepdad used to ride motorcycles and my grandfather drove one when he was younger and I used to spend summers with him as a kid and he would take me to work with him on it.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,621 times
at least he isn't on a bicycle like me.... :-)

It sounds like he is trying to be responsible.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Funny there was an article in the statesmen on this very topic today

Deaths in motorcycle crashes doubles in 2008 (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/01/14/0114bikedeaths.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=52 - broken link)

<<...The deaths have become part of an alarming reality in Austin: The number of people killed in motorcycle crashes last year more than doubled from 2007, rising from eight to 18. Motorcycle deaths accounted for 31 percent of the city's overall traffic fatalities in 2008, compared with 13 percent in 2007, according to police statistics....

Law enforcement officials said the increase appears to be following a national and statewide trend that they think is partially the result of more drivers finding cheaper transportation during last year's gas price surge....

>>

Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
I heard them interviewing the police chief about this exact article, and he did pretty much admit that the increase in deaths was at least partially related to the increase number of MC riders...so, on a person to person basis, it is not more dangerous to ride a MC than it used to be, but there are just more riders out there. Probably more importantly, he also indicated that almost all the fatalities were not wearing helmets.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
they think is partially the result of more drivers finding cheaper transportation during last year's gas price surge....
This means more riders and more untrained/inexperienced riders are on the road. Those are the ones who get hurt, as well as the accomplished riders who get too cocky and forget about safety.

Steve

Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,155 times
Well, for now, he's let the bike idea go. He was thinking for fun he could go dirt bike riding on his free time. He used to do that when he was a teen. Where would you go for dirt bike riding? There must be an area outside of Austin that you can do that, right?
I felt like his dreams were crushed about the bike, but I do have to say I'm somewhat relieved....

Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,226 times
"The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all"- R.Branson

Randy is right on. You can skew statistics many ways. Breakdown the accidents into years of experience, age of the driver, etc and the responsible motorcyclist's stats are probably pretty good. Not as good as a car's from an injury point of view but probably not that bad.

I am far more worried about the bicyclists who "train" for the tour on Mopac with cars and trucks legally passing them within 3 feet at 65mph, but now I am off topic.. sorry
Cheers

Last edited by Driftwood1; 01-15-2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM

13 posts, read 40,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
Ok, so hubby really, really wants to buy a small Honda motorcycle. He commutes from NW Austin to downtown everyday and does not want to pay for parking anymore and would like something more economical (and fun). As soon as the metrorail opens up he will be using that at least a few days a week. He says he will be taking a safety course and buying protective gear, but even so I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing.
Does anyone on the forum ride to work? I really want him to have one since it seems like it would make him happy, but I also don't want to be left a single parent. What would you do?
The MSF course (as well as the advanced course) are all good, but you can't learn how to ride safely in a vacuum: there is no substitute for experience, which necessarily means that you need to have some close calls, etc.

If your husband is truly going to ride as a commuter, and be very careful, I think it can be done reasonably safely. But if your husband is in any way a thrill junkie, who will want to open up the throttle on a stretch of open pavement, or flip the bike around on some twisty roads, he'll materially increase his risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: