Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 14,192 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am moving to Austin in a bout 2 weeks from Florida.

Right now I live on the beach and enjoy being able to walk to the bar or out to eat. My new job basically requires me to live in North Austin/Round Rock area. Is there plenty of nightlife in that part of the city or do I have to go downtown all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Is there plenty of nightlife in that part of the city
No, there isn't plenty of nightlife in Round Rock. In fact, I don't know of anything noteworthy.

You might find an isolated spot or two, with music on a Friday night, or you can go hand out at North Austin bar like Cool River, but you'll need to go downtown for anything resembling real "nightlife".

Old 03-08-2007, 07:16 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
I agree. My husband and I are constantly looking for "something" - anything! to do on "date nights"... without having to drive to Austin, because we have such limited time.

I will say that in the old town historic area of Round Rock there are two bar/music places... we have never been, though - so I don't know if it's good, or what type of music... it does look busy though.

One is called Junior's Grill (I think) and the other is new, it's called The Rock Room.

My husband also knows of some place where he plays pool, Fast Eddies?

... but for real nightlife - yep, you need to go into Austin.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
'Night life', in the traditional sense, is very hard to come by, probably even a little more in RR than in some of the other areas of suburbia. You wonder why HS football is so popular? Because there is nothing else to do on a Friday night . Out to the west there are a few places on the lake with music and food, but you will be hard pressed to find more than a neighborhood bar (which I have come to loathe) or local pool hall. I am sure there are some others in RR, but I am not familiar enough with the area.

We have resorted to extreme tactics . As our group of friends got married, we threw bachelor parties with long-term entertainment in mind... The last one resulted in 4 go-carts and a dirt track on a friends land out east of Pflugerville (I think we are down to 3 and one for parts no). A previous party resulted in a pretty good set of paint ball equipment, and we go out for a game of night paintball in the same area. Poker is still a good ol' standby.

Speaking of poker, and if you are looking to meet new people, then there are some Texas Hold 'em Poker leagues that are kind of fun. I would guess there would be some in RR.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 15,902 times
Anyone know if The Rock Room lets the kids in? What's it like in there?
Thanks,
-Greg, Jenn, Austin, Kesley, Sunny
FamiliesRock.com

Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
I don't know if they do - they are very new - so I don't even know what sort of shows they have, etc.

My husband said that Junior's Grill - just down from The Rock Room does let kids in though. He's seen it - I haven't. I don't know if there are limitations, times, etc.

It would be so cool if they did.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
You don't move to a place like Round Rock for the nightlife. But there are plenty of teenage babysitters I'm sure, and 6th Street is less thna 30 minutes away, so I doubt a "nightlife" oriented establishmant would even make it there, which is probably why the choices are limited.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
For any nightlife on the East Side, you do have to go to little neighborhood places, but there are some actually popular ones. There is the Coupland Dance Hall (in Coupland..and you can find info on it online), There is also another place in Granger. I'd say Snuffy's in Rice's Crossing. They used to be here in Hutto, but moved there to get a bigger building. Wahlburg has 2 German places that have live music, and you can bring kids (also can in coupland) We have some friends that lived a little North of Georgetown, and they liked a place I think was called The Rooster, or something like that. If that all sounds boring, 6th street is the place to be. Personally, I think a lot of these little halls around the area play a large part in the Austin Lifestyle everyone talks about.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:23 AM

106 posts, read 449,349 times
Most people in NW Austin go to bed about 9:30pm, after "Matlock" or "JAG" goes off the air. The 24-hour HEB near my house now closes at 1am because there's so little demand for it to be open later. Most restaurants close by 9pm. There's not much market for real nightlife in this part of town. Although I think Barnes and Noble stays open until 11pm and there's a 24-hour Super Wal-Mart near Lakeline Mall.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:24 AM

67 posts, read 177,153 times
Nightlife like bars and clubs can be tough, but there is plenty of things to do up North

I have actually found it is easier to find a poker game up north than downtown. Maybe its because they have to work harder to lure people in. The link has a map of games around town.

Poker in Austin (http://www.squidoo.com/austinpoker - broken link)

Another option that is overlooked is live comedy at Cap City. Its at 8120 Research, north of Anderson.They have show every night. Sometimes improv, sometimes open mics sometimes headline acts. The link has a schedule of events.

Open Mics, Comedy Clubs, Improv in Austin
Cap City Comedy Headliners

Another option is trivia. Wednesdays at every Pluckers they have trivia. The Flying Saucer also has trivia and it isn't all the way north

Pub and Bar Trivia

As far as bars, Cool River is above average for the area. Sam's Boat is a popular happy hour place. I don't think that much of it, but it seems to be popular. Opal Divine's Marina (not the one on 6th) always seems to be packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin