Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 31,442 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are planning to build a new SF home in southwest/west Austin and looking at diffrent builders and their work. Have you come across any bad experiences with any builder? How important is the builder's reputation? How we can make sure that he is doing a good job? Please share your opininons. Where can I get more information?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
You must keep in mind that all the builders build to the same codes as the same inspectors are reviewing all the homes, no matter who the builder is. What you need to look at is customer service as you're going to deal with the customer service people if there are issues after closing. You can check them out at the BBB or other websites.

Keep in mind that there are always three sides to every story and EVERY SINGLE builder out there has customers who think they did a bad job. Most issues are isolated, and not builder-wide.

Other than that, area and price range typically dictate which builders you can go to. Some builders only build in high price areas like Toll Brothers and Drees, and other builders typically build in lower price ranges like DR Horton.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Get the Your New House Book by Alan and Denise Fields (the baby bargin people who once lived in Austin). It is a good guide (not perfect) but you'll learn a lot and you will learn the right questions to ask.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-New-House...ooks&qid=12318

I loved working with my custom builder. Send me a PM if you want more information.

Last edited by centralaustinite; 01-13-2009 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
When I had my house built I found that the subdivision builders who claimed "build on your lot" didn't take into account any type of property bigger than a standard subdivision lot (I have 6+ acres). I did visit them and talk to them while shopping for a builder and walked away very unhappy.

Ended up with Tilson; picked one of their plans and modified it to suit my needs and was very happy with the outcome. These guys know how to build anywhere - suburban lot or acreage.

I've been in my home for over 10 years and am still happy with it.

Tilson Homes Built on Your Lot Builder in Texas

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM

174 posts, read 501,651 times
Don't forget what the state of Texas or Austin has to say about home builders. I remember the stories about Sandra Bullock.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 31,442 times
Thanks Guys for your replies!!
We are looking for a house in the range of 300s in Circle C or Meridian. The main builders there are DR Horton, Wilshire, Meritage. Any thoughts/experiences @ the community as well as builders? Is it better to go with natinal builders like DR Horton or local one like Wilshire??
Thanks again..

Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
In my experience Meritage works with more margin and you'll be able to get more bells and whistles thrown in for free where as you might pay for them at the other builders... however, you're "paying" for them with Meritage too, as they usually start with a higher base price to make it look like those features are thrown in for free. Local vs National doesn't really make that much of a difference with the builders you're talking about. They're all big companies with many communities and track record.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
We are looking for a house in the range of 300s in Circle C or Meridian. The main builders there are DR Horton, Wilshire, Meritage. Any thoughts/experiences @ the community as well as builders?
I wouldn't pick a home based on the production builder, in your specific circumstance. They are all about the same in the areas you're looking. They use many of the same subcontractors and the home specs are virtually the same (i.e. the difference between a Honda Accord and a Toyota Camry).

Once the neighborhood is built out and you are reselling the home in 5 or 10 years, it won't matter at all who your builder was, none of your future buyers will care. Any difference in outcome you might experience cannot be predicted in advance because it will inevitably come down to the individual personality of your construction superintendent. Any anecdotal stories you might hear about this builder being great or that builder being a pain can't be trusted to predict the experience you will have personally. Often, the biggest complainers about builders were nightmare customers to work with and in fact the builder bent over backward to appease, only to be disparaged anyway.

So, I'd focus on the home you want first, on the right lot, and pick at least two or three homes you want from at least 2 different builders and see which one is ready to give you the best deal. DO NOT fall in love with one home and let the builder know, you give away all your negotiating power. You want them to believe that you have an equally good choice with their competitor and that you're ready and willing to go buy from the other guy. Your best buy will be a completed spec home, or a busted deal that is sitting ready for move-in.

One other thing I'll add, don't over-upgrade the home or buy/build something on the higher end for the section you're in. Stay in the average to median price and size range and you'll do much better on resale down the road. Outdoor kitchens don't pay for themselves at all. They look nice when you're standing there, but you won't get that $30K back when you resale.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 01-14-2009, 08:33 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In my experience Meritage works with more margin and you'll be able to get more bells and whistles thrown in for free where as you might pay for them at the other builders... however, you're "paying" for them with Meritage too, as they usually start with a higher base price to make it look like those features are thrown in for free. Local vs National doesn't really make that much of a difference with the builders you're talking about. They're all big companies with many communities and track record.
I'm not saying you are wrong butmy neighbor has meritage house and he was nickled and dimed for everything including $5k for sprinklers where our builder through it in for free.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
he was nickled and dimed for everything including $5k for sprinklers where our builder through it in for free.
I guarantee there is no such thing as "free sprinklers". They were paid for by the buyer in some way or another, even if from the builder's profit.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: