Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 AM

371 posts, read 1,362,383 times

Advertisements

Other than houses-for-sale and school we're interested in, what else should we take a look at while we're there that will give us a good sense of Austin and its offerings to residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,064 times
Determine the locations of services that you will use on a daily basis.
Gas, groceries, shopping, parks, etc. One thing I did not check out while house hunting is a quick place to pick up milk at a decent price. We are lucky that there is a Dollar General near my daughter's high school, so milk pick up is a duty that gets linked to school pick up.

If possible, also try to do a couple of rush hour test drives from and to the areas you are contemplating. It can make a big difference in driving times.

If you are looking anywhere near a major road, and want peace and quiet, make sure you check out the sound level of the road at rush hour. Any time I was out at our new house it was weekends or in the middle of the day. The first morning after we moved in I was surprised that I could hear the traffic on 290 which was over the hill. Never heard it before. It is only noticeable during rush hour because of the volume of traffic, so no big worry there.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Check out the available venues for the things you like to do (music, sports, running, trails, what have you), how close they are, the routes to them if they're not walking distance.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM

371 posts, read 1,362,383 times
We're definitely into trails (biking mostly). I play amateur guitar and would love access to a place that does open mic's or something. My kids will need extracurriculars (gymastics, swimming, music lessons). And, of course, during those hot summer months, we'll want quick access to a pool, lake, river, water of some sort.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,195 times
Also, if you're not already planning on looking at this neighborhood, you should check out Steiner Ranch. www.SteinerRanch.com

It has everything you mentioned.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Granger and Coupland have dance halls and I know the Granger one has an open mic night. You could check out the Coupland Inn and Dance Hall's website. You also wouldn't be too far from Austin. Bastrop has a Lake. Bastrop Lake State Park I think it's called.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Some of the same things I was told to do when I moved to Austin in 1996...some remain the same.

Check out Zilker Park, Barton Springs Pool, etc. maybe run or walk the trail around the Ladybird Lake (called Town Lake in my day) and then go to Chuy's on Barton Springs for a meal. Make sure you ask for some Jalapeno Ranch dressing to dip your chips in. You won't regret it.

Check out 6th Street (just to people watch) and if you are more sophisticated, I would change that more to the area around 2nd and Colorado. Head over to Z Tejas on 6th St and later grab some ice cream at Amy's. Whole Foods flagship store is also fun to walk around though Central Market up on 38th and Lamar is even more incredible if you are a foodie.

Head down to South Congress and hit some of the music venues. Tacos at Guerros or coffee at Jo's or further down, breakfast tacos at Taco Express are also Austin like things to do. The list of great restaurants is endless in Austin and many of them are in the general areas I have described.

Campus could be interesting to some as well. At least drive up Guadalupe (The Drag) and the surrounding area. Head up to 2222 and take it out towards Lake Travis. Also make sure you hit the iconic iron bridge that runs over Lake Austin at Hwy 360 (also known as Capital of Texas Highway).

The Salt Lick in Driftwood is great to get that true Texas feel. Personally I don't think it's the best BBQ in TX but that's a huge debate. BUT, they win on atmosphere in my book and there are some neat communities out there. And I will plug Circle C Ranch in SW Austin as one with much of what you describe. Now that they have the Escarpment Village area open, you can walk/bike to great restaurants, an awesome grocery store, etc. Yet you are right near Hill Country, the Veloway, the Wildflower Center, not far from downtown or the airport.

Best of luck...Austin is a great town!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Texastrigirl's list is perfect. That's exactly what I'd recommend, too. It's a great cross section of things which give you a feel of the Austin area.

I'd just add one more, and I know the food is not great and the place is touristy, but go to the Oasis if you've never been. The views and roads around there give you a feel of the lake/hills lifestyle that lots of people really like about Austin. If you can catch a live band there (I think Fri-Sun), that's even better.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Yeah, go to the Oasis just once...but make sure the weather is nice because you will want to sit a long time and drink your zillion dollar tiny margarita. Another good place to get a great view on the Lake is the Iguana Grill! Good eats, great price and spectacular view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: