Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2006, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,964 times

Advertisements

I am 24 years old and just went through divorce. I'll be relocating to Austin some time in September or August. I am going to purchase a house and would like some opinions on what areas would be good to purchase a home in? The reason I want to purchase a home is more of an investment while I go to college and live in Austin, rather then just paying rent. My job that I am relocating to is near the airport. I am planning to go to university of Texas aswell. I would like to live in a good area where I can commute easily to both. I am looking to get the best bang for my buck. The price limit I would say would be $200k. preferably a good neighborhood low crime,good access to shopping center, recreation, a good size yard, etc... Any suggestions? I have never been to Austin. Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 07:19 AM

7 posts, read 36,020 times
Rent first before you buy. That way you will will know the area better.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:37 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,685 times
Try to get as close as possible to your job and college.Traffic in Austin sucks.Friends of mine routinely work until 7 at night because the commute from work would keep them on the road to near that time anyway.After the rush is over they get home in about 15 minutes.And like the previous poster said,rent first.Some things about an area cannot be learned without living there.A few months renting will let you know whether buying in the area will be a good or bad idea.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:07 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
Default Moving to Austin

Definitely take the advice of renting before you buy. There are tons of apartments for rent in Austin. Just get an apartment finder/locator service and they'll find you what you're after. It's a free service to you; the apartment complex pays them. I would suggest just signing a 6 or 7 month lease. We did that when we moved here and it was just perfect.

You will also need that time to find a decent house close to town for $200K. Prices are going UP every day and the only places left that are inexpensive are a long commute into town. You may decide that a condo will be a better option for you, especially if you want to be close to downtown. Also, you have to factor in property taxes because they are high here. Expect to pay almost 3%. That can really add to your monthly mortgage payment.

Good luck with the move. Despite the bad commuting traffic and the high property taxes, Austin is a great place! I think you'll love living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: