Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 PM

988 posts, read 3,242,258 times

Advertisements

Ok, I lived in Chicago and Austin and now live in NYC. Chicago is the most racist/segragated city by far of the 3(and probably the top large city in the nation).

The South Side isn't very mixed except for a few neighborhoods like Beverly, Hyde Park. Most of the other neighborhoods are predominately one race. I lived in an all-black neighborhood and literally across the train tracks was an all-white neighborhood. I think its predominately Hispanic now (Whites and Hispanics mix a lot easier than Blacks and Whites there). Anyways, racism is very deep-rooted in Chicago and ALL races are guilty of racism there, I know for sure. A huge portion of Blacks in Chicago absolutely hates Whites. Vice-versa too. Even in the Liberal North Side, the races don't mix much. Go to Wrigley field as a Black and you will get weird looks. I did hang out with a White Female friend of mine's there earlier this summer and didn't get any bad looks while on the North Side so who knows.

Austin wasn't very bad at all. You will get looks but being in an interracial marriage, I never experienced any blantant racism in Austin. I think its getting worse than it used to be, maybe the transplants from the West, Midwest, and East has something to do with it. I do agree, people always think that the South is racist but everywhere else has racist small towns and hypocritical Liberals who say one thing but mean the other.

NYC has racism, or maybe its more classism. I haven't been here but 4 months now but so far, the bigotry I've experienced seemed to be from Asians(newly immigrated) and Middle-Eastern types, not really Whites. I've never had a problem catching a cab though. My roommate and a friend was called a Monkey and the N word in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The irony is that Willamsburg is the so called most liberal neighborhood in all of NYC, its like 78704. Go Figure.

My point is there is racism everywhere but don't go looking for it all the time. Some people are just ignorant and try to get a rise out of you, when someone does something stupid like clutch their pockets when they walk past me, I laugh it off and they seem to get pissed. Its not worth the stress worrying what ignorant people think about you. Austin isn't bad at all....but..but, its not a Liberal haven. Its still a southern city and many residents still have that mindset that other races are inferior(Liberal and/or Conservative).

Last edited by latikeriii; 09-12-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM

532 posts, read 1,386,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's a lame town. The people who don't know any better stay there. And who cares about my personal life. This is about opinions of the city of Austin. Let's be real.
Because you are constantly spouting "Austin sucks" posts, it isn't unreasonable for people to want to know what you base that attitude on. For example, I have never been to Chicago, but if I went into the Chicago board and kept posting "Chicago sucks", and then - to make it seem my opinion is learned - made all sorts of conflicting claims based on living there or not, going to school there or not, working there or not, visiting there or not, how long I did or didn't do any of those things, etc., it would call my opinion into question, and make it seem that I was posting not to inform or discuss, but just to troll, . And since that's exactly what you do here, I don't think it's unreasonable of anyone to want to get one truthful answer from you about how long you were here, when, and why, so your opinion can be put into the proper perspective of carrying weight or not. It's really not that hard to tell the truth, is it? You seem to have enough time to post a few times a day, so I don't see how taking 60 seconds to actually tell the truth would be that big a deal, do you?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Because you are constantly spouting "Austin sucks" posts, it isn't unreasonable for people to want to know what you base that attitude on. For example, I have never been to Chicago, but if I went into the Chicago board and kept posting "Chicago sucks", and then - to make it seem my opinion is learned - made all sorts of conflicting claims based on living there or not, going to school there or not, working there or not, visiting there or not, how long I did or didn't do any of those things, etc., it would call my opinion into question, and make it seem that I was posting not to inform or discuss, but just to troll, . And since that's exactly what you do here, I don't think it's unreasonable of anyone to want to get one truthful answer from you about how long you were here, when, and why, so your opinion can be put into the proper perspective of carrying weight or not. It's really not that hard to tell the truth, is it? You seem to have enough time to post a few times a day, so I don't see how taking 60 seconds to actually tell the truth would be that big a deal, do you?
Exactly. When someone claims to know something about a city based on personal experience, and then that personal experience is described in varying mutually contradictory ways, it goes to credibility. It wouldn't take 60 seconds to say, "Okay, this one story is the one that is the truth, I lived/attended UT/just visited Austin, and my opinions are based on that one experience" and I don't think it's too much to ask, under the circumstances.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:14 AM

5 posts, read 15,048 times
Thank you for noticing this. I lived in Austin for 17 years, and I'm from Northeast Texas. Central Texas is by far the most racist place I've ever lived in, with Austin being the worst!! The racism isn't in your face, but it's subtle. It's in the way that for most jobs in the city that pay an hourly wage of $12 or more are often not held by black people. It's in the way that black residents of Clarksville, once sharecroppers, were moved out, much like east Austin. Some problems do belong to the black citizens, there is much room where blacks can improve, but the opportunities aren't extended to them.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 AM

5 posts, read 15,048 times
What's sad is this, most whites are not racist, but most people of color are!! I've seen much hateful behavior among blacks, hispanics, asians, and other groups. The worst kind of racist is one that hates his own!! We still live in a country where people of different backgrounds don't communicate or associate with each other. Unfortunately, as Americans we don't know that others around are human, and we've learned through stereotypes and racist beliefs to treat them as if they are sub-human animals. If you ask the average person in this country to name their top friends and associates, most would name individuals of the same ethnic background. Workplaces are even worst!! People of color are often passed over for promotions or given smaller pay raises. I did a study a few years ago that ended with a shocking result! Most in this country would prefer white people, even people of color!! It's as if those that aren't white aren't considered as good, or less than. It's really sad, when a person's ethnic background can lessen them as a human!! America was founded on racism, and we will never be released from it.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
Hi Adelita,

I live about 50 miles from Bastrop - also in a little town. Personally I don't think you will have any problem. My husband is black and I am white - we have never had any problems and have extensively traveled around Austin, San Antonio, most of South Texas and Houston.

Now if you lived in or around Beaumont - East Texas is a little different. We lived there too - didn't have any problems, but my husband did not like it there very much.

Enjoy Texas -

Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM

355 posts, read 1,227,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launi View Post
I currently live in North Austin and I relocated here from Houston, TX 3 years ago. I don't know much about Taylor, which is by Hutto right? But I know for a fact and have experience lots of racism here on my job and in college. My sister and I shopped at Lakeline Mall in NW Austin, we were followed and watched in every store we shopped in. We ate at restaurants along 183N, and have gotten stares and sneers from whites. As a Black women, that is upsetting and I think it is ridiculous. Now, Houston isn't perfect either but I relocated to Austin based on magazine articles in Forbes Magazine and others mentioning that Austin is the safest, clean and top city for singles. Yeah right. It clean but the crime has risen since I have been living here and the Austin Police Dept is prejudice. Check out the records on African American Quality of life at www.statesman.com in the archives.
In my opinion this entire Central part of Texas is prejudice. Houston and Dallas have lots of diversity. Houston has more and is very international and cosmopolitan. Yes there is higher crime, but you can get around that.
I discovered that the Black population in Austin is less than 10%. I never knew that that would make a difference in living somewhere. But after my experience here, I will no longer live in a city where WE are less than 10%.
I have lots of friends back in Houston of all races, I am a member of Lakewood Church, Pastor Joel Osteen, who I stay in contact with and who has help me with my time living here.
Racism exist in a lot of parts of this country, especially Austin!
You nailed it. I found out the hard way coming from up North to here. There is a reason why there are only 10% blacks in Austin...because they don't feel comfortable there...even the Hispanics got the nerve to be racist and predjudice against blacks here. I am a certified nurse assistant and writer, and I have not been able to find a job here in Austin...except for a job that I had to get through someone else (he had connections). I have experienced employers saying they have jobs and are hiring over the phone ( i speak very clear and professional), but when I came in to give the applicaton, I don't hear anything back from them despite my clear application and experience. When have you ever heard of a CNA not being able to find a job?????!!!!!Please, CNA's can always find positions because they always quit or don't come in to work.

I also get the constant stares and steers, which is why I am hauling my butt back up North pretty soon. I had a friend who stayed in dallas (which is more diversified and heavily populated) and she said she loved it.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 PM

355 posts, read 1,227,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity Smith View Post
What's sad is this, most whites are not racist, but most people of color are!! I've seen much hateful behavior among blacks, hispanics, asians, and other groups. The worst kind of racist is one that hates his own!! We still live in a country where people of different backgrounds don't communicate or associate with each other. Unfortunately, as Americans we don't know that others around are human, and we've learned through stereotypes and racist beliefs to treat them as if they are sub-human animals. If you ask the average person in this country to name their top friends and associates, most would name individuals of the same ethnic background. Workplaces are even worst!! People of color are often passed over for promotions or given smaller pay raises. I did a study a few years ago that ended with a shocking result! Most in this country would prefer white people, even people of color!! It's as if those that aren't white aren't considered as good, or less than. It's really sad, when a person's ethnic background can lessen them as a human!! America was founded on racism, and we will never be released from it.
Speaking as a biracial young women, this is true to a certain extinct. I have experienced racism from hispanics.....WOW!lol Detroit has the highest black on black crime...this is true to a certain degree...but when it comes to the coporate world (which is heavily ran by whites), thats where things get sticky.....right now at the moment there are over 16% unemployed African-americans compared to only 8% unemployed whites. There is something wrong with this picture, and these figures alone should let you know that racism is occuring and that their are 'equal employment opprotunity' policies that are being violated. No one has experienced more racism and hate than blacks...history points to that...I'm not saying that other races have not suffered though. I also notice that no matter what race you are, the darker the skin, the harder it is for you (smh). there are some dark-skinned hispanics who have it bad and who are discriminate against as well. when will it end?When people learn their true orgins and know that EVERYONE shares the same concious (We are one-John Lennon)

Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM

226 posts, read 558,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjt3rd View Post
Personally, I like the smaller towns because at least there, you know where you stand because the people will tell you where they stand. You just might find you like honesty in the small towns better than deceit of the cities.
Could you elaborate further? I'm curious as to exactly what you meant.

By the way, good post.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
There is a reason why there are only 10% blacks in Austin...because they don't feel comfortable there...even the Hispanics got the nerve to be racist and predjudice against blacks here.

I also get the constant stares and steers, which is why I am hauling my butt back up North pretty soon. I had a friend who stayed in dallas (which is more diversified and heavily populated) and she said she loved it.
Yeah, I get that feeling in Austin too. And its not just the hispanics in austin who discriminate. The ones in San Antonio are worse in my opinion.

I look at people funny when they suggest I live in Austin. I'm like: "really?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin